If I heard right, the KEY2 uses Gorilla Glass 3 (from GG4 on the KEYone). This was GOOD news to me as I easily got scratches on two different KEYone units. Prior to that, I had NEVER seen even faint scratches on my BlackBerrys owned since the Bold & Storm days and they were all left uncovered (no cases or screen protectors).

My understanding is that GG4 was made to be a bit more flexible to avoid shattering at the cost of scratch resistance.
    06-08-18 02:01 AM
    Why didn't they just use GG5? It seems to do what 3 and 4 did well, while being thinner and far less prone to shattering and scratches.

GG3 is from around 2013, I remember my Galaxy S4 had it, it didn't scratch easily but was a lot more susceptible to shattering.
    06-08-18 02:19 AM
    Why didn't they just use GG5? It seems to do what 3 and 4 did well, while being thinner and far less prone to shattering and scratches.

GG3 is from around 2013, I remember my Galaxy S4 had it, it didn't scratch easily but was a lot more susceptible to shattering.
    Probably cost
    06-08-18 02:20 AM
    Agree about the scratches. I've got two large scratches, more like gouges, in my KeyOne screen and my other BlackBerry devices don't - even though older, dropped etc etc.
    Not a complaint, just saying.
    06-08-18 02:21 AM
    I bought a $1 screen Protector. No scratches. It's the simple things.
    jamesharmeling and DWonder like this.
    06-08-18 03:07 AM
    Tempered glass screen protector should do the trick. Hopefully this time there will be some decent ones that don't leave bubbles all around or don't hinder the capacitive buttons sensitivity
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-08-18 03:33 AM

TCL is a cut-rate manufacturer.
    06-08-18 04:11 AM
    Well, it's either that, or the Priv would have been the last BlackBerry to see the light of day
    06-08-18 04:17 AM
    Tempered glass screen protector should do the trick. Hopefully this time there will be some decent ones that don't leave bubbles all around or don't hinder the capacitive buttons sensitivity
    Lol, my Whitestone Dome Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my Note8 is still sitting in its box. I was heavily scarred by the S7 Edge's GG4 display getting scratched up that when I got the Note8 I bought this expensive screen protection and now I have had no reason to use it due to the Note8's GG5 being so much more robust than the GG4.

I hope TCLs choice to go with GG3 does not backfire, most phones that used GG3 were made of high quality plastic (Polycarbonate), that could take a huge beating before the display was affected, but using GG3 with a phone that is Metal may be quite a gamble.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, I love the Key²'s design overall though.
    06-08-18 04:48 AM
    Lol, my Whitestone Dome Tempered Glass Screen Protector for my Note8 is still sitting in its box. I was heavily scarred by the S7 Edge's GG4 display getting scratched up that when I got the Note8 I bought this expensive screen protection and now I have had no reason to use it due to the Note8's GG5 being so much more robust than the GG4.

I hope TCLs choice to go with GG3 does not backfire, most phones that used GG3 were made of high quality plastic (Polycarbonate), that could take a huge beating before the display was affected, but using GG3 with a phone that is Metal may be quite a gamble.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, I love the Key²'s design overall though.
    JerryRig will put that GG3 to the test. I'm waiting for that video before pulling the trigger on a K2.

Would you leave your N8 for one? The screen will be well glued this time....
    06-08-18 04:54 AM
    JerryRig will put that GG3 to the test. I'm waiting for that video before pulling the trigger on a K2.

Would you leave your N8 for one? The screen will be well glued this time....
    Yep, will be an interesting one.

Not at all, the Note8 will always be my main phone until I get the Note10, but I'll keep an eye on the K2, if I did get it I would use it as a secondary phone on my other line which the S7 Edge is using right now.

There are still things I wish they did better with K2, like taking away the Capacitive Buttons and putting them in the display, and then enlarging the display within that same body size. Also wish it had Wireless Charging and better Water/Dust protection.

TCL are slowly getting there though.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-08-18 04:59 AM
    I'll be happy regardless, as long as they remember to glue it this time.
    06-08-18 08:07 AM
    GG5 would be better.
    Tsepz_GP and phuoc like this.
    06-08-18 09:03 AM
    My Keyone screen is just fine after a year of use and I don't use a screen protector. So in short I'm happy with Gorilla Glass 3
    06-09-18 01:46 AM
    My Keyone screen is just fine after a year of use and I don't use a screen protector. So in short I'm happy with Gorilla Glass 3
    The KEYone uses GG4.

The KEY2 uses GG3.
    06-09-18 01:56 AM
    The KEYone uses GG4.

The KEY2 uses GG3.
    And they'll both smash or scratch when dropped or get banged up the right way. At this point, I'm not convinced Gorilla Glass does anything for phones other than add weight and cost.
    06-09-18 11:03 PM
    And they'll both smash or scratch when dropped or get banged up the right way. At this point, I'm not convinced Gorilla Glass does anything for phones other than add weight and cost.
    Oh for sure. But for some reason I never had a screen scratch til the KEYone. Could be coincidence, but the 9900, Q10, and Classic never had the issue.

It's interesting they'd go back a version... I wonder if it was for the same concern.
    06-10-18 02:34 AM
    Older phones used smaller screens.

Anyway, I was very sad to learn when gg4 came out it would actually offer Less scratch resistance.

Sometimes progress doesn't actually improve something. There is a reason 50 year old well built tech still works today.

I'm glad they went with gg3.

Passport had it. Not a lot of broken screens even though it was metal with a huge screen. Scratch resistance was great.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    06-10-18 09:24 AM
    Sometimes progress doesn't actually improve something. There is a reason 50 year old well built tech still works today.

I'm glad they went with gg3.

Passport had it. Not a lot of broken screens even though it was metal with a huge screen. Scratch resistance was great.
    Totally!
    06-10-18 10:41 AM
    well that is bad news. since the keyone didn't have much grip cause it was more rounded, i dropped my phone several times and it landed flat on its face on a hard surface twice, with no cracks at all. so the keytwo gets a downgrade to gorilla glass 3.. does that mean it will be less shatter resistant??
    06-11-18 03:23 AM
    I don't think that Gorilla Glass 3 is a "downgrade". The more recent Gorilla Glass iterations seem to be less scratch prone but harder to break compared to their predecessors. I'd rather prefer Gorilla Glass 3 then.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    06-11-18 03:58 AM
    Yes because the more expensive Android/IOS flagships cost more than $650 and they never shatter or scratch.
    the_boon and ppeters914 like this.
    06-11-18 07:16 AM
    9900 LCD screen is recessed from the bazel. smaller screen and bazel design protected the surface. It is more difficult to do so for large surface area with either leveled bazel or bazel-less design. IMHO. (but that was most user, especially in China - like xiaomi style of design... the taste is rather different there - glass backing, bazeless ,etc. different design matrix. functionality not seem to be as high as perceived "good look" ).
    06-11-18 07:24 AM
    Yes because the more expensive Android/IOS flagships cost more than $650 and they never shatter or scratch.
    Annnnnd they all break on the first drop (if naked)
    06-12-18 03:09 PM
    My Passport with gg3 is still scratchless where as I cannot say the same for my KEYᵒⁿᵉ with gg4.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    06-12-18 06:45 PM
26 12