On my Key2 (Android 8.1 ABK892), the compass icon that used to show on the Google Maps navigation screen disappeared about two weeks ago. In its place is a new "Search Along Route" icon. There does not appear to be a user interface mechanism to get the compass back. (And no, I don't have "Keep map north up" enabled :-)

Can someone help me get the compass icon back? Thanks!

Google Maps: Compass Icon Disappeared--How do I get it back?-capture.jpg
    01-29-19 06:10 PM
    It's in the settings. Not sure if it used to be where you're pointing. It's there when not in navigation mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Google Maps: Compass Icon Disappeared--How do I get it back?-screenshot_20190129-200330.jpg  
    01-29-19 08:05 PM
    It's neither in Settings nor on your screen shot :-) Does anyone have a helpful answer?
    JECE likes this.
    01-29-19 08:40 PM
    Yes, I noticed that the compass is gone as of last update. What a terrible idea. Google, please replace the compass as it IS necessary! Who can we pull into this discussion from the developers?
    01-29-19 08:57 PM
    @RK_BB, do you use google maps? Any thoughts on this issue. Another annoyance! Cheers,
    01-29-19 09:15 PM
    @RK_BB, do you use google maps? Any thoughts on this issue. Another annoyance! Cheers,
    I do use it but not for driving. That said, the compass is there when the app is in driving mode.
    01-29-19 09:22 PM
    I do use it but not for driving. That said, the compass is there when the app is in driving mode.
    What is driving mode? When I put in a destination and use it as a GPS, no compass is showing. Do you mean just in map view? Thanks,
    01-29-19 09:24 PM
    What is driving mode? When I put in a destination and use it as a GPS, no compass is showing. Do you mean just in map view? Thanks,
    Open the menu on the left, tap "start driving"
    01-29-19 09:25 PM
    Open the menu on the left, tap "start driving"
    Just tried it and yes it is there, however, how do you import your saved, starred locations from maps?
    01-29-19 09:29 PM
    Just tried it and yes it is there, however, how do you import your saved, starred locations from maps?
    Couldn't help you with that! Not only do I avoid starring locations I have history tracking disabled....
    Crusader03 likes this.
    01-29-19 09:32 PM
    Just received the ABP242 firmware update; it did not fix this.
    01-30-19 02:02 PM
    Just received the ABP242 firmware update; it did not fix this.
    Your best bet is to try an older APK for Google Maps as it may have it included. Of course, there's also the possibility it was a server side change made by Google and there's no way of getting it back.
    01-30-19 03:13 PM
    I have sent a message to the developers stating the problem/change. Would suggest we all do the same as that will gas light the issue and perhaps provide more traction with them.
    01-30-19 03:23 PM
    Your best bet is to try an older APK for Google Maps as it may have it included. Of course, there's also the possibility it was a server side change made by Google and there's no way of getting it back.
    Thanks. I'm going to assume that this is a bug and not intentional, so I will wait a while for a fix.
    01-30-19 04:35 PM
    I have sent a message to the developers stating the problem/change. Would suggest we all do the same as that will gas light the issue and perhaps provide more traction with them.
    Good idea; I'm up for that. Do you have an email address we can use?
    01-30-19 04:35 PM
    Good idea; I'm up for that. Do you have an email address we can use?
    https://support.google.com/maps/answ...id&hl=en&oco=1

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/maps
    Crusader03 likes this.
    01-30-19 04:42 PM
    01-30-19 04:50 PM
    I just replied from the App "Developer Contact" email.
    01-30-19 04:58 PM
    I just replied from the App "Developer Contact" email.
    More places, more chances for someone to see it and act on it.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    01-30-19 05:00 PM
    More places, more chances for someone to see it and act on it.
    True, will do. Thanks,
    01-30-19 05:00 PM
    Strange, I would have thought millions of people would be complaining all over the world about this, lol. It is basically the most useful button on the entire Google Navigation Map. I can easily switch both modes while driving.

For them to remove the button and not have anyone complain or notice? Or perhaps this thread is going to start to get a whole bunch of hits pretty soon.. once Google starts ranking it properly for those who are searching for the exact same issue. Haven't seen it anywhere else on the web, period.

Weird. And the "Keep Map North Up" toggle definitely isn't doing a damn thing.

True, will do. Thanks,
    02-15-19 10:30 PM
    Solution: When you 1st open Google Maps hit the menu button in the top left, select START DRIVING, touch the compass on the top right and enter destination!
    03-29-19 07:20 PM