Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
09-02-19 07:36 AM
28 12
tools
    Had some issues with my KeyONE after it dropped and started rebooting over and over and then worked fine then started rebooting again.

Decided then that it was time to upgrade with my provider (Rogers) and had a good chuckle at the process.

I have a conference to go to in a couple of days so I couldn't wait for shipping so I called into my local outlets...no Key2s to be found. One actually laughed and when I asked if they had one stock. They murmured "what is it...2008?"

One finally checked stock and found a store close that had a couple in stock. She then asked "have I thought about Samsung or an iPhone because they're a " more modern phone that most people use". I politely said no thanks...I need a productive device and prefer the physical keyboard. After a long pause she said "really" and pulled the phone away from her Mouth and I over heard "got a dinosaur on the phone"

Contacted the other store...started off the same way. "Blackberry, really?" I asked them to find another store with one in stock... gave the location to me. Then told them that I'd be upgrading my son's phone as well and he wanted an iPhone XR. "Oh we can do that...."

Click.

Called the store further away...same process. The guy responded to my request for a blackberry with "no problem we can do that for you"

Sold. I don't mind someone trying to up-sell. Im in sales for a living so I know the drill. But if someone comes in to buy X and after an up-sell store says they're committed to X ... sell them X. And don't take shots or laugh at their choices.

So the rep at the store that I drove further to do business with got my 2 sales and if I need anything from them, that's where I'll be going to.

By the way ... first post on my Key2.
    08-15-19 08:35 AM
    Had some issues with my KeyONE after it dropped and started rebooting over and over and then worked fine then started rebooting again.

Decided then that it was time to upgrade with my provider (Rogers) and had a good chuckle at the process.

I have a conference to go to in a couple of days so I couldn't wait for shipping so I called into my local outlets...no Key2s to be found. One actually laughed and when I asked if they had one stock. They murmured "what is it...2008?"

One finally checked stock and found a store close that had a couple in stock. She then asked "have I thought about Samsung or an iPhone because they're a " more modern phone that most people use". I politely said no thanks...I need a productive device and prefer the physical keyboard. After a long pause she said "really" and pulled the phone away from her Mouth and I over heard "got a dinosaur on the phone"

Contacted the other store...started off the same way. "Blackberry, really?" I asked them to find another store with one in stock... gave the location to me. Then told them that I'd be upgrading my son's phone as well and he wanted an iPhone XR. "Oh we can do that...."

Click.

Called the store further away...same process. The guy responded to my request for a blackberry with "no problem we can do that for you"

Sold. I don't mind someone trying to up-sell. Im in sales for a living so I know the drill. But if someone comes in to buy X and after an up-sell store says they're committed to X ... sell them X. And don't take shots or laugh at their choices.

So the rep at the store that I drove further to do business with got my 2 sales and if I need anything from them, that's where I'll be going to.

Congrats on your new Key2.

Still remember when I went to AT&T store three years ago to buy the Priv.
    The representative laughed and asked me "why didn't your grandpa come with you to pick up a more modern phone?"
    I just strictly told him the phone is for me and not for my grandpa, and it isn't funny🤨
    Last edited by John Albert; 08-15-19 at 10:27 AM.
    skinnymike1 and CrackPriv like this.
    08-15-19 09:59 AM
    One actually laughed and when I asked if they had one stock. They murmured "what is it...2008?"

After a long pause she said "really" and pulled the phone away from her Mouth and I over heard "got a dinosaur on the phone"
    This is so cringy, such closed mindedness lol

Or is it just the negative brand image?

Who knows if they would have reacted the same way if it was a PKB phone from ANY other brand.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 10:11 AM
    Congrats on your new phone. I'm also looking for a key2 but can't find it anywhere. Can you share the store details from where you got yours.
    Cheers!
    08-15-19 10:17 AM
    Congrats on your new phone. I'm also looking for a key2 but can't find it anywhere. Can you share the store details from where you got yours.
    Cheers!
    Rogers store in Oakville. They have 2 black ones left and I think he said a few more Key2 LE's
    08-15-19 10:29 AM
    Rogers store in Oakville. They have 2 black ones left and I think he said a few more Key2 LE's
    What's the build date of your KEY2 by the way?
    08-15-19 10:30 AM
    What's the build date of your KEY2 by the way?
    Build date 20190131
    08-15-19 10:34 AM
    Thanks! Will check them out.
    08-15-19 10:41 AM
    Congregation for your key2!
    Nowdays people like use same phone design from Apple.
    08-15-19 11:29 AM
    This is so cringy, such closed mindedness lol

Or is it just the negative brand image?

Who knows if they would have reacted the same way if it was a PKB phone from ANY other brand.
    It is the Iphollower zombie apocalypse. I love my Key2, also. Congrats on the phone.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 11:35 AM
    Build date 20190131
    Pardon me, I just HAVE to ask...

...how's the spacebar? As firmly in place as the other keys?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 12:39 PM

Have you considered sharing your experience with the previous store's manager? He or she may not know about sales lost due to disruptive employee behavior.

At a former company I worked for, insulting a customer was a code of business conduct violation filed under "customer mistreatment."
    skinnymike1 and Sigewif like this.
    08-15-19 01:04 PM
    Pardon me, I just HAVE to ask...

...how's the spacebar? As firmly in place as the other keys?
    I've been on it now almost since the moment I got it (some sleep in the middle) but haven't found any issues with the space bar, clicking, feeling different etc. I'm keeping notice of it because I heard it was an issue for many.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 03:18 PM
    Have you considered sharing your experience with the previous store's manager? He or she may not know about sales lost due to disruptive employee behavior.

At a former company I worked for, insulting a customer was a code of business conduct violation filed under "customer mistreatment."
    I'll be dropping an email soon to the store manager. I'm not going to be rude but I'll let them know what happened.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 03:20 PM
    Thanks! Will check them out.
    The guy I worked with ... his name is Dallas.
    08-15-19 03:21 PM

Click.

Sad to see cases like this where sales people don't want to help because of their device preference. Shouldn't matter what device you want to own.

I work for At&t cust service and I have seen customers with phones of all kinds and I never try to force them to switch. I will be logical with them technology wise when it comes to troubleshooting. I have seen flip phones, old and new BlackBerry, Windows phones, iPhone 4, old galaxy samsungs etc.

When I talk to people that own BlackBerrys they are people who travel internationally on business mainly. They don't care about connecting watches and multiple cameras on phones.

They are users that I call streamlined users where only the essentials matter. Get what works for you. Glad you found your key2.
    08-15-19 06:52 PM
    Cheers!
    I have a black North American variant for sale. PM me if you are interested.
    the_boon and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-15-19 07:45 PM
    Understand that a lot of sales-rep bias against BB phones comes from not just the PKB but also the high return rate. PKB phones have more to go wrong, and the remaining PKB/BB fan base tends to be picky, and returns will cost the rep money (as well as the carrier).

If you were in sales, and you had a weird, quirky product that few people wanted, that generated a lot of returns and hassles and ate up your time and resulted in loss of commissions, you'd try to steer people away from that product too. I know in my business, I actively steer people away from products that have a poor history of reliability or are more difficult to use (the two biggest issues for my customers), because otherwise my profits get eaten up in service costs.
    08-16-19 01:45 PM

I agree. Unacceptable. It is also mocking those who are older. Everyone is getting older. They are mocking their future self so that is not a prudent thing to do. ;-|
    Sometimes I end up telling the sales person about the great features my phone has.
    Something similar happened to me when I went into a local T-Mobile store with my already purchased unlocked Priv to get something done regarding my account. They had a Priv on display, not turned on like the other phones and without a way to see the keyboard. I made a comment to the guy in the store about marketing it better. He made a disparaging comment, knowing I had one. That employee did not last long. Later there was someone who worked at that same store who had 2 Privs and a KEYone. I brought in my KEYone and Priv to update my account, and put them on the counter. He said something like: "My two favorite devices..." I got the best service from him ever. He is gone from there now. He either moved up in the company or he started his own business.
    CrackPriv and ssirica like this.
    08-16-19 04:57 PM

Click.

Congratulations on your KEY2. I am glad to hear they can still be found. They are almost impossible to find in the US. I got mine used.
    08-16-19 04:59 PM
    Understand that a lot of sales-rep bias against BB phones comes from not just the PKB but also the high return rate. PKB phones have more to go wrong, and the remaining PKB/BB fan base tends to be picky, and returns will cost the rep money (as well as the carrier).

If you were in sales, and you had a weird, quirky product that few people wanted, that generated a lot of returns and hassles and ate up your time and resulted in loss of commissions, you'd try to steer people away from that product too. I know in my business, I actively steer people away from products that have a poor history of reliability or are more difficult to use (the two biggest issues for my customers), because otherwise my profits get eaten up in service costs.
    This echos an experience of a walk-in enquiry about the PRIV (during its release time) at a BestBuy once years ago, either an ignorant (about his job) or uneducated sales rep....the Staples rep hesitated at first but obliged politely shortly thereafter. Often you have to educate yourself about anything that isn't the number 1 or 2 seller, because the part time sales reps just don't bother or aren't trained or won't admit they know very little about it, so steer you to the familiar (to them). Kudos to BestBuy now though for listing used 3rd party sellers on their website.

However, you have to admit that this is not the busy season in the Smartphone or Telco stores. So maybe she was eager to get back to playing Candy Crush or texting her friend.
    One wonders. Were they just keeping the BlackBerry's on-hand just to make it to look like they had amazing variety, but were really only intent on selling one or two models instead (ahem...from the duopolies?)

Never once had a funky BlackBerry when bought new, albeit I don't think I bought the first one off the assembly line at any time.

But I once got a new vehicle that wouldn't get out of park the first day I drove it home (it was obviously warranteed, and a minor problem, though it did produce a bit of a lemon scare...I stuck with the vehicle, cause its what I wanted, and what I wanted to work, and it was fine for many years.
    08-16-19 09:19 PM

The reason they do it, at least here in the states, is ONLY about the $$. Apple and Samsung lease and care for the floor space in T-Mobile and other carriers. Your pretty much *** out for any other brand anymore. It's not about returns. I have owned almost every Blackberry PKB released since my Curve 9000 (sans the Q5 and Priv) and I have never had a product defect or issue. All makers and devices have had their share of issues but the reason (lower level) sales and younger associates @ T-Mobile at least lack awareness is because Galaxy and iPhone is really all they know so that's all they speak too.
    08-17-19 01:27 AM
    The reason they do it, at least here in the states, is ONLY about the $$. Apple and Samsung lease and care for the floor space in T-Mobile and other carriers. Your pretty much *** out for any other brand anymore. It's not about returns. I have owned almost every Blackberry PKB released since my Curve 9000 (sans the Q5 and Priv) and I have never had a product defect or issue. All makers and devices have had their share of issues but the reason (lower level) sales and younger associates @ T-Mobile at least lack awareness is because Galaxy and iPhone is really all they know so that's all they speak too.
    You are of course correct in that Apple and Samsung are the preferred vendors, though they don't pay for space (they don't have to) - they do pay for nice displays though. But these are the devices that are drawing customers into the store in volume, so they don't need to pay for space; they're already valuable to the carrier. It's the other companies that have to pay, because they DON'T draw customers into the store in volume.

But returns are definitely a factor and that's cited again and again by carrier store employees/salespeople. People complain about the feel of the keyboard, or the spacebar, or the camera, or the screen, etc. and they return/exchange them, which churns inventory without generating sales. Just because you haven't done that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Slab phones have less to go wrong physically, which is one of many reasons that format is desired by both manufacturers and users. And they don't have screens that just fall off, or wobbly spacebars, or any of those kinds of issues. You don't have to do too much reading just here on these forums to know how relatively common those problems were compared to how few phones were sold.

Return rates are important statistics for the carriers, and that's been a problem for BB since the Storm.
    08-17-19 01:17 PM
    Sad to see cases like this where sales people don't want to help because of their device preference. Shouldn't matter what device you want to own.

I work for At&t cust service and I have seen customers with phones of all kinds and I never try to force them to switch. I will be logical with them technology wise when it comes to troubleshooting. I have seen flip phones, old and new BlackBerry, Windows phones, iPhone 4, old galaxy samsungs etc.

When I talk to people that own BlackBerrys they are people who travel internationally on business mainly. They don't care about connecting watches and multiple cameras on phones.

They are users that I call streamlined users where only the essentials matter. Get what works for you. Glad you found your key2.
    But can you sell me a Key2 or Key2 LE as long-standing AT&T customer? ;-) ;-) well you made a good deal for me on two AT&T XR and you’re still pushing updates to my AT&T KEYone so I’m letting it go for now.... again ;-)
    08-17-19 01:25 PM
    But can you sell me a Key2 or Key2 LE as long-standing AT&T customer? ;-) ;-) well you made a good deal for me on two AT&T XR and you’re still pushing updates to my AT&T KEYone so I’m letting it go for now.... again ;-)
    Not sure about that one lol. If only they did carry the key2 on At&t. I probably would have got one...assuming it would let me access WiFi calling -_-
    08-19-19 04:56 PM
28 12