Why!?
    Do u use it ?
    01-03-19 08:19 PM
    Why!?
    Because they'd essentially get laughed at more than usual if they didn't start offering it.

Do u use it ?
    Yes. Unless I'm travelling to a different country. In which case I disable it and stick to a stupid long password.
    01-03-19 08:34 PM
    Easy question, easy answer.
    Cool
    01-03-19 08:55 PM
    Yes. Unless I'm travelling to a different country. In which case I disable it and stick to a stupid long password.
    I wonder why you turn it off when travelling?
    01-03-19 09:59 PM
    I wonder why you turn it off when travelling?
    Passwords are more secure and rules around being compelled to hand over a password vs. biometric data are different.
    01-03-19 10:00 PM
    Passwords are more secure and rules around being compelled to hand over a password vs. biometric data are different.
    I'll make a note of it. Haven't travelled where you would be handing over passwords. Also, if they can't ask or have different rules for biometric data, the same rules would apply to give away the backup pin/password anyway.
    One way or the other, you're screwed.
    01-03-19 10:06 PM
    One way or the other, you're screwed.
    Indeed. But I'm not going to make it any easier should the issue ever arise.
    01-03-19 10:11 PM
    Indeed. But I'm not going to make it any easier should the issue ever arise.
    I would just use long press K to lock the device every time and it will not let you unlock on with a Fingerprint.
    RichardAitch likes this.
    01-03-19 10:29 PM
    I would just use long press K to lock the device every time and it will not let you unlock on with a Fingerprint.
    I also have issues with that because that requires your device to be powered on, which can potentially make it more susceptible to attacks. Your device is most secure when powered off.

Per EFF:

We recommend that you power off all of your devices before you arrive at a border checkpoint. This will resist a variety of high-tech attacks against encryption that only work when a device is already powered on. For some mobile devices, powering off also resets the device to a higher-security state that requires a password to unlock, which may not be true in day-to-day use.
    01-03-19 10:35 PM
    Well I like and use the finger print sensor but I did learn something here for sure.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    01-03-19 10:48 PM
    Yup, other than the possible cloak and dagger stuff, I do use mine!
    01-03-19 11:11 PM
    It's convenient for me. On my Q10 and Passport I used some reasonably good passwords but then a couple of times I nearly forgot them and got down to my last attempt!
    01-04-19 02:07 AM
    I also have issues with that because that requires your device to be powered on, which can potentially make it more susceptible to attacks. Your device is most secure when powered off.

Per EFF:
    Good info... Thx
    01-04-19 02:45 AM
    I use it everywhere I can
    01-04-19 02:57 AM

Per EFF:
    That should be same as locking with long press of "K" key.
    It uses administrator rights and thus locks the phone that can't be unlocked by Fingerprint or other methods than primary PIN / Password.
    01-04-19 03:08 AM

You mean like: travelling to the US?
    chetmanley likes this.
    01-04-19 05:29 AM
    Yup, using it all the time But it's become finicky: it worked fine for few months after I got the KEY2, but lately, it's more miss than hit. Already tried setting up my fingerprints again a few times to no avail. Guess the sensor just wears out fast.
    01-04-19 12:06 PM
    You mean like: travelling to the US?
    That's the thing... you need to know the rules where you are traveling too. Might be ok to say I won't give you a password in the US, but might not be if traveling to some other country where the laws might require it.
    01-04-19 02:26 PM
    That's the thing... you need to know the rules where you are traveling too. Might be ok to say I won't give you a password in the US, but might not be if traveling to some other country where the laws might require it.
    The courts here have ruled that it is ok to compel the opening of a fingerprint lock but that passwords are protected. Go figure.
    01-05-19 01:20 PM
    The courts here have ruled that it is ok to compel the opening of a fingerprint lock but that passwords are protected. Go figure.
    Which jurisprudence is that, and where?
    01-05-19 06:49 PM
    Which jurisprudence is that, and where?
    The United States.
    01-05-19 08:34 PM
    Yup, using it all the time But it's become finicky: it worked fine for few months after I got the KEY2, but lately, it's more miss than hit. Already tried setting up my fingerprints again a few times to no avail. Guess the sensor just wears out fast.
    That's too bad. I haven't had this experience, my FP reader is quick and reliable since day 1.

For folks having troubles, make sure to rotate the phone all the way around (360 degrees) across your taps when your record your FP so it can register the widest possible range of approach angles.
    01-05-19 09:05 PM
    That's too bad. I haven't had this experience, my FP reader is quick and reliable since day 1.

For folks having troubles, make sure to rotate the phone all the way around (360 degrees) across your taps when your record your FP so it can register the widest possible range of approach angles.
    Or you can just change rotational position of your finger lol.
    01-06-19 04:45 PM
    As I don't work for CIA or MI5 I use it all the time.
    01-06-19 06:21 PM
    Or you can just change rotational position of your finger lol.
    Yes, both will do except it's hard to rotate your hand 360 degrees, much easier to rotate phone that way I find
    01-17-19 12:44 PM
30 12