I am really glad I skipped k1. And Priv was a total nightmare, the worst phone I ever owned. Some things, however, simply do not make sense. Why IPS? Why the bottom of the screen is wasted for those Android function keys? Why no wireless charging? Why no ctrl key while there is plenty of space for two more keys?
    11-11-18 10:04 AM
    I am really glad I skipped k1. And Priv was a total nightmare, the worst phone I ever owned. Some things, however, simply do not make sense. Why IPS? Why the bottom of the screen is wasted for those Android function keys? Why no wireless charging? Why no ctrl key while there is plenty of space for two more keys?
    "You can't always get what you want."
    11-11-18 10:22 AM
    wireless charging really would've been nice.
    11-11-18 10:29 AM
    "You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Bob
    11-11-18 10:48 AM
    "You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Bob
    11-11-18 10:51 AM
    Bob
    I wonder who are all those people who say: AMOLED? Nooo, it sucks, give us IPS and make it a bit smaller, we need to waste some space for Android keys. Also who needs more keys on the keyboard? Let's just leave it unused. Wireless charging? Come on, who on earth would ever want it!
    11-11-18 10:54 AM
    I wonder who are all those people who say: AMOLED? Nooo, it sucks, give us IPS and make it a bit smaller, we need to waste some space for Android keys. Also who needs more keys on the keyboard? Let's just leave it unused. Wireless charging? Come on, who on earth would ever want it!
    The actual question is whether the added costs would be worth it.

They already improved some things along with raising the price by $100 (from the KEYᵒⁿᵉ).

They should now be able to test for upward price sensitivity.
    11-11-18 11:10 AM
    who cares for a few more bucks. there is plenty of cheap phones that offer all those features (except the ctrl key, of course ;-) Even Priv had it (and there was a version that featured wireless charging, too, almost at no extra price)
    11-11-18 11:12 AM
    who cares for a few more bucks. there is plenty of cheap phones that offer all those features (except the ctrl key, of course ;-) Even Priv had it (and there was a version that featured wireless charging, too, almost at no extra price)
    A lot of people care.

You want AMOLED and wireless charging.

Someone else wants a 845 SoC.

Someone else wants high-end stereo speakers.

Someone else wants a flagship camera.

And so on, and so on, and so on......

BBMo picked a price point and a required margin, and THEN put the best mix of components into the product that they feel best targets its customer base.
    hamilgs likes this.
    11-11-18 11:16 AM
    It is still a business phone. The screen has utter importance, the keyboard is the second, other can wait. And it just makes no sense to sell a phone without wireless charging in 2018. I do not actually care much about the price. It is still cheaper that Samsung and Apple flagships anyway. Do you really think it is a "good mix", or it is just a kind of Stockholm syndrome we adopted for years with Blackberry without being offered any choice or alternative?
    jamesharmeling and hamilgs like this.
    11-11-18 11:21 AM
    It is still a business phone. The screen has utter importance, the keyboard is the second, other can wait. I do not actually care much about the price. It is still cheaper that Samsung and Apple flagships anyway.
    Personally I think the screen is plenty good for my purposes. But that's my point - no two people have the same preferences.

You don't care about another price bump, but many do. BBMo will analyze what the $100 jump did and will respond accordingly next year - and either go up higher, or drop back.
    hamilgs likes this.
    11-11-18 11:24 AM
    It is small. And it is IPS. If you read pdf's and other paper-sized documents or work with spreadsheets on the phone, every pixel, every millimetre matters.
    11-11-18 11:26 AM
    It is small. And it is IPS. If you read pdf's and other paper-sized documents from the phone, every pixel, every millimetre matters.
    Not to me. I haven't been prevented from doing a thing.

Others would argue that the screen is fine, but a world-class camera is critical and a TOP priority for a "business phone".

Other people say the screen is fine, but a 800 series SoC is essential and a TOP priority for a multitasking business phone.

Others say they want it all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    hamilgs likes this.
    11-11-18 11:30 AM
    I doubt there is much business value in a camera or fast SoC. Whatever way you muititask, the only reason you need a terrific camera is Instagram and the only application type that would bring not-so-top-of-the-line chipset on its knees is gaming.
    11-11-18 11:33 AM
    I doubt there is much business value in a camera or fast SoC. Whatever way you muititask, the only reason you need a terrific camera is Instagram and the only application type that would bring not-so-top-of-the-line chipset on its knees is gaming.
    That's your opinion. Many, as these forums clearly indicate repeatedly, say otherwise.

And that's the point - TCL has to design a phone for everyone, and not just for YOUR preferences and YOUR budget.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-11-18 11:34 AM
    Again, Priv was cheaper. And it had both AMOLED and wireless charging. The rest of hardware components were no cheaper at the time (including the camera, btw).
    11-11-18 11:37 AM
    Again, Priv was cheaper. And it had both AMOLED and wireless charging. The rest of hardware components were no cheaper at the time (including the camera, btw).
    The Priv was $699 in 2015. That's $749 in 2018.

Bottom line: Start a poll asking people what they would want if there was another $100 to spend on the KEY². You will likely get an equal distribution around 6 or 7 different priorities - 3 of which would be "it's already too expensive!".
    Last edited by conite; 11-11-18 at 11:51 AM.
    phuoc likes this.
    11-11-18 11:38 AM
    I for one have no interest in AMOLED. Using apps like Waze daily, where the screen is on and displaying a range of static elements is far more suited to IPS, because there won't be issues with burn-in or colour degradation over time.

Which is to say, of course, horses for courses - there are valid use cases for AMOLED as well, but I don't want it.
    11-11-18 12:08 PM
    It is still a business phone. The screen has utter importance, the keyboard is the second, other can wait. And it just makes no sense to sell a phone without wireless charging in 2018. I do not actually care much about the price. It is still cheaper that Samsung and Apple flagships anyway. Do you really think it is a "good mix", or it is just a kind of Stockholm syndrome we adopted for years with Blackberry without being offered any choice or alternative?
    Definitely not cheaper. The flagships are sold with all kinds of BOGO offers. My AT&T KEYone costs more than iPhones purchased for wife and daughter at same time. Most people won’t pay the price now for the KEYone, you think enough people would pay for more expensive device?
    11-11-18 12:34 PM
    "You can't always get what you want."
    Ugh. Ear worm. Thanks.
    hamilgs likes this.
    11-11-18 01:12 PM
    Definitely not cheaper. The flagships are sold with all kinds of BOGO offers. My AT&T KEYone costs more than iPhones purchased for wife and daughter at same time. Most people won’t pay the price now for the KEYone, you think enough people would pay for more expensive device?
    You hit the nail on the head. I have expressed this same point. Flagships would NEVER sell in any volume without BOGO offers or half price bill credits. It's the ONLY way carriers here in the US are keeping users hooked, well that and Wi-Fi calling and other features they keep from OEM's that don't cowtow to their demands. So unless you price @ half the price of a current OEM it financially does not make much $$ and sense. It's BS but what it is here in the US.
    11-11-18 02:45 PM
    It is small. And it is IPS. If you read pdf's and other paper-sized documents or work with spreadsheets on the phone, every pixel, every millimetre matters.
    I get your frustration because you're coming from the Priv, and yes compared to how big screens are getting these days it may feel small.

But ask yourself if an extra inch and a half of glass would change your experience more significantly than the full capacitive QWERTY.

As for wireless charging, even the latest and very highly praised OnePlus devices don't have it (and it's the ONLY benefit of having a glass back on a smartphone).
    11-11-18 03:03 PM
    Some things, however, simply do not make sense. Why IPS? Why the bottom of the screen is wasted for those Android function keys? Why no wireless charging? Why no ctrl key while there is plenty of space for two more keys?
    Make sure you fill out the BlackBerry Mobile Device Owner Survey!! Stress your concerns to them. The survey is very in depth and often asks you how important certain features are to you. Majority will rule for the KEY3. They addressed the issues and concerns that people had on the KEYone, such as the small, glossy keyboard.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-11-18 03:15 PM
    or it is just a kind of Stockholm syndrome we adopted for years
    You nailed it I think
    11-11-18 03:37 PM
    I am not talking about giving up qwerty. But I would be happy to get rid of those huuuge bezel and gain at least 10mm vertically and 4mm horizontally. Not to mention curved screen that looks much better and gives even more space.
    11-11-18 03:58 PM
45 12