OK, let's one thing straight, I have no interest in a KEY2 as I think I've grown past a PKB so for me to defend its price, which I initially thought was over the top, isn't easy for me.

Once I gave the $829(CAD) some thought my initial 'WTF were they thinking?' attitude started to wane somewhat as the pricing started to make sense:

• You asked for a better processor, you got it;
    • You asked for a bigger memory and you got it;
    • You asked for bigger storage and more storage options, you got it;
    • You asked for better build quality and initial feels suggest that you got that too. But the biggest gimme you got was;
    • A 9900/Passport feeling PKB with more function and supposedly better quality than a BB PKB has ever had before!

I've spent the last couple of days waiting for a call back from someone who works for one of the major carriers on the inventory acquisition side and I left a message asking, 'How much value do you think a PKB adds to the retail price of a device?'. This is a direct quote from the voice mail he just left me:

"Are you asking about the KEY2? If you are I'd say easily $150(CAD) at retail. It's not that it's just a keyboard but the additional functions built into it make it well worth that to someone looking for a physical keyboard device. I've played with it and although it's not my cup of tea, this has to be the best BlackBerry PKB since the Passport which I loved at the time."

So, $150. That would mean $679(CAD) or thereabouts without the PKB. Would you complain so loudly if the Motion was launched with the same specs as the KEY2 for $650-679? If I were a betting man I'd hazard a guess you wouldn't.

Moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for because you might end up getting it and paying for it!
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-29-18 at 04:43 PM.
    06-29-18 04:33 PM
    I'm fed up with all the whining about the whining about the price...
    06-30-18 02:59 AM
    Price Shmice

I'm getting a KEY2 regardless. I might just give them more money than required.
    06-30-18 04:32 AM
    If you don't like people complaining about price, why do you?
    06-30-18 04:38 AM
    I would like to complain that you got one before me 😎
    06-30-18 05:04 AM
    If you don't like people complaining about price, why do you?
    I didn't. What I did was present a cohesive argument about how the price complaints were illogical and people were actually complaining about paying extra for all the improvements they begged for in the first place. When the KEYone was first launched in Canada, its price was $699; so for $130 extra you get vastly expanded memory, a faster and probably more balanced chip, a better and more functional keyboard in pretty much everyway, and, what seems to be much better build quality especially for the keyboard. You've even got carriers floating it for 2 years at what to me is a very reasonable rate (in fact it's $100 less upfront than the KEYone was offered at initially).

What I didn't resort to was 'whataboutism' which is precisely what you engaged in.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-30-18 at 06:52 AM.
    TCM01 and rjedge54 like this.
    06-30-18 06:38 AM
    Complaining about the price is pointless. If only because we've heard that ever since bb10 was introduced. And we're still here, aren't we? That being said, a lot of the concerns I read about here are perfectly legitimate, especially regarding the keyboard. It should be no less than perfect, that's what buying a KEY2 is all about. I find some of the feedback here a tad disquieting.
    06-30-18 06:55 AM
    I would like to complain that you got one before me ������
    I don't actually have one and, to be honest, I'm not particularly interested in buying one. But even sitting on the sidelines as I am, I see the pricing complaints to be over-blown and kinda childish *Shrugs*
    TCM01 likes this.
    06-30-18 06:56 AM
    Complaining about the price is pointless. If only because we've heard that ever since bb10 was introduced. And we're still here, aren't we? That being said, a lot of the concerns I read about here are perfectly legitimate, especially regarding the keyboard. It should be no less than perfect, that's what buying a KEY2 is all about. I find some of the feedback here a tad disquieting.
    Serious question: Can you point me in the direction of concerns raised about the keyboard? Everything I've read, even negative reviews, have said the keyboard is perhaps the best since the Passport and is kind of a PP/9900 hybrid and certainly has much improved tactile feedback and built quality. I'm asking as my wife has been waiting for a PKB that rivals her 9900 and the KEY2 may be a consideration in the future.
    06-30-18 07:02 AM
    Serious question: Can you point me in the direction of concerns raised about the keyboard? Everything I've read, even negative reviews, have said the keyboard is perhaps the best since the Passport and is kind of a PP/9900 hybrid and certainly has much improved tactile feedback and built quality. I'm asking as my wife has been waiting for a PKB that rivals her 9900 and the KEY2 may be a consideration in the future.
    The woobly (clicky I couldn't care less) space bar. The fingerprint sensor has been reported as not very responsive by a few users (if true that's unacceptable if only because the KEYone's was perfect). Plastic frets.... I never use a case; how long before the white plastic underneath starts showing? I am merely relaying what I've read here from more than one user.
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    06-30-18 07:14 AM
    The woobly (clicky I couldn't care less) space bar. The fingerprint sensor has been reported as not very responsive by a few users (if true that's unacceptable if only because the KEYone's was perfect). Plastic frets.... I never use a case; how long before the white plastic underneath starts showing? I am merely relaying what I've read here from more than one user.
    I've not heard about the 'wobbly' spacebar issue but if it's simply clicky then I can't see that as a concern. I have read that the FP sensor can be slow but it's, apparently, on par with Samsung's 'Pass' FP solution which is not considered to be the 'best' on the market but also not the worst, midrange I guess. I have no idea how good it was on the KEYone. Generally plastic molded products are coloured through out and I would imagine that any wear and tear would reveal simply more black. I just can't see anyone top colouring a white fret black, especially on a part so small and so prone to wearing. I remember the chromed metal frets on my 9900 chipping and wearing to expose the bare metal underneath about 6 months into ownership, it wasn't a performance issue but was friggin' annoying! I just can't see that happening with plastic frets.

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts.

*EDIT*

Just read the complaints about the spacebar and I have to say I'm not convinced it's as much of an issue as people are making out. I just tried randomly typing on my retired Passport and the key response was completely different than the rest of the keys both audibly and tactilely. I guess when a device is new it takes time for people to get used to the 'personality' differences. I suppose it could be a legitimate complaint, but I'm not convinced at this stage.

Anyhow, each to their own I guess.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-30-18 at 07:49 AM.
    TCM01 likes this.
    06-30-18 07:27 AM
    But you do realize last year's phone was over priced too.
    So they actually offered a few extra following year but by charging $150 on top.

Also the camera is sub par to be honest. We are diehard BlackBerry fans and ultimately I will also end up buying it. However you need to take the criticism with an open head. It's not totally unwarranted.
    06-30-18 08:49 AM
    So they actually offered a few extra following year but by charging $150 on top.

Also the camera is sub par to be honest. We are diehard BlackBerry fans and ultimately I will also end up buying it. However you need to take the criticism with an open head. It's not totally unwarranted.
    By those who seem to think they know better, every BlackBerry has been overpriced since year dot, but the only serious comparison you have is between the launch of the KEYone and the launch of the KEY2. So take it or leave it.

As to the camera, I truly believe people expect BBMo to solve the camera "crisis" overnight on a budget, but it's also a budget they, these people, are not willing to pay for. When you look at the stats the camera really isn't that bad, it's just not flagship good. With flagships costing $1,000-$1,500 in Canada you either step up to the plate and pay that sort of money or you don't. Simple, really. Me, it's all about the optics and no matter how you try, no matter how much trickery you build into a device you will never be able to emulate the quality of decent glass over a jacked up sensor.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-30-18 at 06:36 PM.
    06-30-18 06:18 PM
    OK, let's one thing straight, I have no interest in a KEY2 as I think I've grown past a PKB so for me to defend its price, which I initially thought was over the top, isn't easy for me.

Once I gave the $829(CAD) some thought my initial 'WTF were they thinking?' attitude started to wane somewhat as the pricing started to make sense:

• You asked for a better processor, you got it;
    • You asked for a bigger memory and you got it;
    • You asked for bigger storage and more storage options, you got it;
    • You asked for better build quality and initial feels suggest that you got that too. But the biggest gimme you got was;
    • A 9900/Passport feeling PKB with more function and supposedly better quality than a BB PKB has ever had before!

I've spent the last couple of days waiting for a call back from someone who works for one of the major carriers on the inventory acquisition side and I left a message asking, 'How much value do you think a PKB adds to the retail price of a device?'. This is a direct quote from the voice mail he just left me:

"Are you asking about the KEY2? If you are I'd say easily $150(CAD) at retail. It's not that it's just a keyboard but the additional functions built into it make it well worth that to someone looking for a physical keyboard device. I've played with it and although it's not my cup of tea, this has to be the best BlackBerry PKB since the Passport which I loved at the time."

So, $150. That would mean $679(CAD) or thereabouts without the PKB. Would you complain so loudly if the Motion was launched with the same specs as the KEY2 for $650-679? If I were a betting man I'd hazard a guess you wouldn't.

Moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for because you might end up getting it and paying for it!
    Thanks for logical and well thought out post
    06-30-18 06:22 PM
    I didn't. What I did was present a cohesive argument about how the price complaints were illogical and people were actually complaining about paying extra for all the improvements they begged for in the first place. When the KEYone was first launched in Canada, its price was $699; so for $130 extra you get vastly expanded memory, a faster and probably more balanced chip, a better and more functional keyboard in pretty much everyway, and, what seems to be much better build quality especially for the keyboard. You've even got carriers floating it for 2 years at what to me is a very reasonable rate (in fact it's $100 less upfront than the KEYone was offered at initially).

What I didn't resort to was 'whataboutism' which is precisely what you engaged in.

You did it twice. Logical thought out post
    06-30-18 06:23 PM
    You did it twice. Logical thought out post
    I did?? Yea gads!
    06-30-18 06:25 PM

You say over priced and yet TCL announced that they had sold 50% more KEYones than they had originally anticipated, and that was before any markdowns, permanent or otherwise.

*EDIT*

I just heard that apparently the overall retail sales of the KEYone DOUBLED TCL's expectations. So much for being over priced.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-30-18 at 08:34 PM.
    06-30-18 06:39 PM
    You say over priced and yet TCL announced that they had sold 50% more KEYones than they had originally anticipated, and that was before any markdowns, permanent or otherwise.

*EDIT*

I just heard that apparently the overall retail sales of the KEYone DOUBLED TCL's expectations. So much for being over priced.
    Where did you hear that?
    07-01-18 01:42 AM
    Where did you hear that?
    I don't normally quote users from CrackBerry with out verifying the info first, but it was posted yesterday by someone who I trust. I'll see if I can verify it sometime today, if not, I'm OK with that.
    07-01-18 06:47 AM
    I don't normally quote users from CrackBerry with out verifying the info first, but it was posted yesterday by someone who I trust. I'll see if I can verify it sometime today, if not, I'm OK with that.
    Might be conite?
    07-01-18 07:00 AM
    Might be conite?
    Yep. I generally am not a fan of his complete optimism for BlackBerry but his opinion is always valid and accurate
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 07-01-18 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
    07-01-18 08:11 AM
    Actually, I take this back, apparently security updates are for a minimum of there years, but it's included in very small print.
    07-02-18 04:23 AM
    So much for being over priced.
    And Key2 is $150 over that. It'll be a tough sell.
    Also this time around, it's not getting great reviews.

Last year, only JerryRigEverything caused the biggest dent which was covered later on, however this year, poor camera and price is plaguing it big time.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    07-02-18 08:24 AM
    And Key2 is $150 over that. It'll be a tough sell.
    Also this time around, it's not getting great reviews.

Last year, only JerryRigEverything caused the biggest dent which was covered later on, however this year, poor camera and price is plaguing it big time.
    Most of the KEY2's early issues can be fixed via software updates.

The screen lift on the first batch KEYones last year was borderline catastrophic for the brand image. It's much more embarrassing if the general public finds out that its supposed comeback smartphone has its screen fall off, than a camera which isn't up to par with current (or even last year's) flagships.
    07-02-18 08:50 AM
    Most of the KEY2's early issues can be fixed via software updates.

The screen lift on the first batch KEYones last year was borderline catastrophic for the brand image. It's much more embarrassing for the general public to see that BlackBerry's supposed comeback smartphone has its screen detach completely from the frame, than a camera which isn't up to par with current (or even last year's) flagships.
    I dont mind a little bad camera but heard the videos are just not usable from one of the guys here on Crackberry.

Either ways, how do they justify extra $150 over last year overpriced model? Is it for 6 GB RAM?
    07-02-18 08:54 AM
32 12