Anyone had luck using an external microphone with Key2?

I use a gimbal (DJI Osmo mobile 2) to shoot videos and up'ing the audio quality is a must for me. Unfortunately, I have two external microphones, one of them is iRig Mic Cast (the other is some cheaper Xiaokoa wireless lavalier mic), both of which have a "4 stripes" connector. The same microphones have worked wonderfully with my previous Sony Experia phone.

Can anyone shed light on how to connect an external microphone to the Key2? I can't seem to find anything on this on the web and I'm reluctant to spend money on possibly other microphones that will proves useless with the Key2.

Thanks!
    09-19-18 03:21 AM
    K1 and K2 have had very poor DACs and headphone jacks so I'm not surprised to hear you're having trouble.
    09-20-18 04:12 AM
    Adding a few notes: I've opened my microphone to have a look at the internals. All looked ok. Then rechecked it with my Sony experia xz1 compact - all working fine. Sony identifies the mic and uses it OK.
    Conclusion is that the BlackBerry won't recognize the insertion of the mic and won't switch audio input to it. Frankly, the camera on my Sony is way better than that on my BlackBerry so I'm fine with having a dedicated smart phone that is used for shooting videos.
    So, I'm done with searching a remedy. Found a good workaround :-)
    10-02-18 10:29 AM
    Thanks for this update. I spent the last 2 days searching for a solution or explanation of why my lavalier and shotgun mic aren't being recognized by my Key2. I really hoped installing open camera would solve the problem, but it did not.
    10-06-18 12:32 PM
    I am trying to use a RODE smartLav+ with a TRRS splitter, and it won't work. In searching other forums such as (https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...ics_on_my_new/) it sounds like this is an unsolvable hardware issue. Really surprised that such a simple function would be overlooked

Adding a few notes: I've opened my microphone to have a look at the internals. All looked ok. Then rechecked it with my Sony experia xz1 compact - all working fine. Sony identifies the mic and uses it OK.
    Conclusion is that the BlackBerry won't recognize the insertion of the mic and won't switch audio input to it. Frankly, the camera on my Sony is way better than that on my BlackBerry so I'm fine with having a dedicated smart phone that is used for shooting videos.
    So, I'm done with searching a remedy. Found a good workaround :-)
    03-18-19 07:28 AM
    Damn, have just encountered the same problem with my new KEY2, which brings me here. I bought the SC7 cable and everything connect up to my Røde Wireless GO receiver and nothing happens. Also found that Reddit thread and shocked. Loved my new KEY2 (yep someone is still buying them), but upset it seems like this might be quite the issue.

What are peoples thoughts on buying a USB Type C to Audio Converter and then plugging the mic in that way? I wonder if this could be a possible workaround? Anyone got any thoughts on this? I might give it a try myself and get back to you guys.
    Last edited by CrayZMarc; 05-01-20 at 01:33 PM.
    05-01-20 01:22 PM