Unlike my BlackBerry Classic, I find that on the K2 I am pressing multiple keys at the same time.

I am wondering if this is muscle memory or differing keyboard design or key sensitivity or...?

I do find that I type more slowly on the k2 than on the Classic.

Curious about other's experience. Also looking for potential solutions.
    12-05-18 07:48 AM
    Yes I don't do as well on Blackberry KEY² as Classic. I think for me it is the balance of the phone. Trying to hold and type where the classic really just laid in you hands. I was thinking this could be a problem when first playing with a keyone and the reason I never got one. That and keys were hard to press. For me I cannot type one handed on here at all. Hoping over time I get the little muscles built where it works as well as Classic. I picked up my classic yesterday and thought wow that feels good. It is certainly heavier

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Last edited by RegN; 12-05-18 at 02:07 PM.
    12-05-18 08:33 AM
    They have a different form factor and the keys don't have the same sculpting so... your mileage will vary.
    12-05-18 09:20 AM
    I think it's more about muscle memory. You'll get used to it.
    I don't hit two keys but do hit wrong keys or don't press them hard enough, and have to press them again sometimes.

My typing experience has improved a lot with the latest update, where they have improved the keyboard sensitivity, that caused false cursor mode to appear.
    12-05-18 03:39 PM
    Haven't experienced that.
    12-05-18 03:41 PM
    Coming from the KEYone and those smaller punk keys, lol, I sometimes mistakenly hit the spacebar with my left thumb instead of the 0. I'd definitely say it's muscle memory for me. On the KEY2 I'm more cautious when typing it feels like cuz the keys are so soft. Plus I don't wanna delete words by swiping backwards which I did on the KEYone. On the Classic I didn't have to worry about none of that...i just could type as fast as possible not having to worry about the touch keyboard and the soft keys / responsiveness.

The KEY2 keyboard is still way better than the KEYone tho
    12-05-18 03:47 PM
    With a bit more thought while I type I have to say I don't hit 2 keys but have an issue with b v c I think when I type my normal way I catch the space bar and it ads a period at times. I actually have learned to feel when it happens and I can correct it. Also the cursor issue will do strange things to my sentences add or delete words. Still happy with my choice. I still leave the keyboard on now as I'm getting better with it. Hoping the next update helps me more again by repairing issue.

And I am happy with my camera!

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    12-05-18 03:58 PM
    I found I was constantly hitting the spacebar by accident causing errors and inaccurate words predictions. It was frustrating.
    I guess that will happen with a raised spacebar eh
    Smokeaire likes this.
    12-05-18 04:02 PM
    I find that I "hesitate" as I type (which is about the same time I start getting the cursor mode issue).

The "hesitation" has something to do with not recalling where keys are coupled with English being my 2nd language which makes spelling a challenge at times.

Can't "blame" that one on the device. Certainly my 1976 brain...
    12-05-18 04:31 PM
    Been typing with thumb NAILS since 9650 days. Far more precise on tiniest of keys. Fastest type rate, for me. Try it sometime. ?

Classic is a typing beast. Almost 85% of my 9900 type rate. THE standard of typing comparison, imo. Lucky to hit 30% with my K1. K2 achieves 40% on a good day. Haven't tried LE yet but anticipate further improvement.

Classic/Bold sculpted keys are fabulously perfected, imo. Why BBMO failed to leverage that asset perplexes. Imo.

K series are great devices that improve typing experience significantly over slab typing. Imo. Unlike Classic & Bold, typing is not TOP priority for K. Only an elevated priority. Imo. A critical distinction.
    12-06-18 06:23 AM
    Been typing with thumb NAILS since 9650 days. Far more precise on tiniest of keys. Fastest type rate, for me. Try it sometime. ?

Classic is a typing beast. Almost 85% of my 9900 type rate. THE standard of typing comparison, imo. Lucky to hit 30% with my K1. K2 achieves 40% on a good day. Haven't tried LE yet but anticipate further improvement.

Classic/Bold sculpted keys are fabulously perfected, imo. Why BBMO failed to leverage that asset perplexes. Imo.

K series are great devices that improve typing experience significantly over slab typing. Imo. Unlike Classic & Bold, typing is not TOP priority for K. Only an elevated priority. Imo. A critical distinction.
    The LE should have had better key sculpting since it doesn't have capacitive touch anyway. They could have copied the Classic/Q10's style
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    12-06-18 08:09 AM
    I had a Passport which felt top-heavy to me but the keys were great for me. it was stolen so I picked up the the Classic to replace it, then another when I dropped the first (both still work) and I found the right typing experience the best of any BB I've owned (most of them)... perfect mixture of balance, key size and feel, and lightning fast for me.

This Key2 fails on almost every level for me, apart from running some great Android musical instruments and production tools.... things which my retired HTC M8 does so much better like four years ago
    12-06-18 09:49 AM
    The LE should have had better key sculpting since it doesn't have capacitive touch anyway. They could have copied the Classic/Q10's style
    Not sure why they didn't copy the tried & true masterpiece of mobile KB design? Maybe Chen wanted too many $$ for the IP? Lol.

One look at K informs where the design priorities were... screen estate covers about 80% of the face. Resulting in handset dimensions that sacrifice typing experience, imo. Their priority is screenestate. Typing is clearly a lesser priority. They're not the best typing experience ever but... Ks are the best typing experience currently available, tho. Imo. Fwiw.

Again, to the OP... try nail typing. I keep my thumbnails trimmed just to where enough thumb flesh contacts keys to provide tactile feedback to muscle memory. Type rate and precision are optimized by the technique. Keyboards optimized for the technique can be VERY compact...
    12-06-18 10:10 AM
    Not sure why they didn't copy the tried & true masterpiece of mobile KB design? Maybe Chen wanted too many $$ for the IP? Lol.

One look at K informs where the design priorities were... screen estate covers about 80% of the face. Resulting in handset dimensions that sacrifice typing experience, imo. Their priority is screenestate. Typing is clearly a lesser priority. They're not the best typing experience ever but... Ks are the best typing experience currently available, tho. Imo. Fwiw.

Again, to the OP... try nail typing. I keep my thumbnails trimmed just to where enough thumb flesh contacts keys to provide tactile feedback to muscle memory. Type rate and precision are optimized by the technique. Keyboards optimized for the technique can be VERY compact...
    GSMarena says that the Key2 screen body ratio is 56 percent vs Classic 41 percent.

I think the Passport Crowd would appreciate a slightly taller TCL Passport. Has to be taller for Android we are told. A Passport 2 would need a Passport keyboard.

I think you are absolutely correct. Mr. Chen wants to maximize short term profits but conversely TCL watches every penny. This is probably why the Keyboards are not the same and perhaps why there might not be a new Passport.

Cutting your nails based on your phone is not something that makes a good ad on social media ... ha ha.
    12-06-18 11:16 AM
    GSMarena says that the Key2 screen body ratio is 56 percent vs Classic 41 percent.

I think the Passport Crowd would appreciate a slightly taller TCL Passport. Has to be taller for Android we are told. A Passport 2 would need a Passport keyboard.

I think you are absolutely correct. Mr. Chen wants to maximize short term profits but conversely TCL watches every penny. This is probably why the Keyboards are not the same and perhaps why there might not be a new Passport.

Cutting your nails based on your phone is not something that makes a good ad on social media ... ha ha.
    Pretty much depends on how "screenestate" is defined. Another way of looking at it is face area occupied by keyboard. Including the chin area & toolbelt, 9900 keyboard occupies about 2" of its 4.5" oal. Or 44% of frontal area.

Including the chin area & toolbelt, Classic keyboard occupies about 1.85" of its 5.15" oal. Or 36% of frontal area.

Including the chin area & "soft keys", K1 keyboard occupies about 1.75" of its 5.88" oal. Or 30% of frontal area.

Admittedly simplistic but illustrative of priority shifts, at least. Imo. My type rate on each design trends same direction as those ratio trends. Fwiw.

Trimming nails has been part of guitar technique for many decades of my life. You're right, not great marketing image... at least till typed communications gain popular recognition for the efficiency it can contribute to daily lives... lol.
    12-06-18 11:55 AM
    It took me a couple of months coming from the KEYone to get used to typing on the Key2! I started to get worried after several weeks, but all is well now, after 36,000 words typed.
    12-06-18 12:43 PM
    Yep. 36K words should do it! Practice is the Key. Pun intended. Lol. Muscle memory eventually makes connections with brain's speech center. My 9900 is so well integrated my tongue sometimes moves while thumb is "speaking"! Lol.

Unnecessary distractions, like shifting grasp to reach far away characters, irritate much like speaking over loud noises. If that makes any sense. Lol.

I'm still "green" on K2. K1 learning curve is pretty flat for me now. K1's slick keys aren't optimally compatible with my thumb nail technique. Already faster on K2 than K1 and still steep in learning curve. LE is next on list. Lol.
    12-06-18 02:25 PM
    Yep. 36K words should do it! Practice is the Key. Pun intended. Lol. Muscle memory eventually makes connections with brain's speech center. My 9900 is so well integrated my tongue sometimes moves while thumb is "speaking"! Lol.

Unnecessary distractions, like shifting grasp to reach far away characters, irritate much like speaking over loud noises. If that makes any sense. Lol.

I'm still "green" on K2. K1 learning curve is pretty flat for me now. K1's slick keys aren't optimally compatible with my thumb nail technique. Already faster on K2 than K1 and still steep in learning curve. LE is next on list. Lol.
    I'm at 41k on my LE, it's so much nicer to type on than the KEYone as far as key size, key finish and weight/balance.

The KEYone does have more satisfying key click/travel though, and obviously the advantage of capacitive.
    12-06-18 02:33 PM
    Pretty much depends on how "screenestate" is defined. Another way of looking at it is face area occupied by keyboard. Including the chin area & toolbelt, 9900 keyboard occupies about 2" of its 4.5" oal. Or 44% of frontal area.

Including the chin area & toolbelt, Classic keyboard occupies about 1.85" of its 5.15" oal. Or 36% of frontal area.

Including the chin area & "soft keys", K1 keyboard occupies about 1.75" of its 5.88" oal. Or 30% of frontal area.

Admittedly simplistic but illustrative of priority shifts, at least. Imo. My type rate on each design trends same direction as those ratio trends. Fwiw.

Trimming nails has been part of guitar technique for many decades of my life. You're right, not great marketing image... at least till typed communications gain popular recognition for the efficiency it can contribute to daily lives... lol.

Interesting that GSMArena has the iPhone 4 at 54% vs 32% for the 9900. I think that the Samsung SIII really solidified the larger screen trend. When I bought the 9900, I was more concerned with the size of the font on the display. The 9900 could comfortably display a larger font because of its additional width over the iPhone. App's were not a big concern for an enterprise phones at the time.

The iPhone also started another trend - higher PPI. The iPhone 5 still had a relatively small screen but the screen made smaller fonts more legible and of course there were apps. The major app being maps and ( Although Traffic was pretty darn good in 2010). the iPhone also started the trend of using your phone as a point and shoot camera. Not one of the 9900's better features.

The Passport and LE have the same 57% screen to body ratio but a new Android Passport would be better in that regard.

I take your point though. If one is willing to carry two phones and can type better on a smaller phone like a 9900 then perhaps there is a market for the "BlackBerry Communicator".
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-06-18 at 03:44 PM.
    12-06-18 03:32 PM
    Interesting that GSMArena has the iPhone 4 at 54% vs 32% for the 9900. I think that the Samsung SIII really solidified the larger screen trend. When I bought the 9900, I was more concerned with the size of the font on the display. The 9900 could comfortably display a larger font because of its additional width over the iPhone. App's were not a big concern for an enterprise phones at the time.

The iPhone also started another trend - higher PPI. The iPhone 5 still had a relatively small screen but the screen made smaller fonts more legible and of course there were apps. The major app being maps and ( Although Traffic was pretty darn good in 2010). the iPhone also started the trend of using your phone as a point and shoot camera. Not one of the 9900's better features.

The Passport and LE have the same 57% screen to body ratio but a new Android Passport would be better in that regard.

I take your point though. If one is willing to carry two phones and can type better on a smaller phone like a 9900 then perhaps there is a market for the "BlackBerry Communicator".
    Haha... RIM missed marketing opportunities by failing to offer a followup 9900 C.... with an actually usable camera. Lol.

I'm a much faster reader than I am typist. I spend far, FAR more time typing than reading. Prioritizing typing proficiency makes perfect sense, to me. Most consumers disagree. Because they type faster than they read? Or because they type less than they read...??? No two identical use cases. Lol.

I've long employed double carry just to enjoy optimal typing on 9900 while typing while also enjoying optimal screenestate on what ever giant I'm carrying as secondary. Win-win optimization, imo. Compromised all-in-one concepts are inevitably too large for optimal typing or too small for optimal theatre viewing. Dual carry affords a no compromise solution, imo.
    12-06-18 04:20 PM
    Haha... RIM missed marketing opportunities by failing to offer a followup 9900 C.... with an actually usable camera. Lol.

I'm a much faster reader than I am typist. I spend far, FAR more time typing than reading. Prioritizing typing proficiency makes perfect sense, to me. Most consumers disagree. Because they type faster than they read? Or because they type less than they read...??? No two identical use cases. Lol.

I've long employed double carry just to enjoy optimal typing on 9900 while typing while also enjoying optimal screenestate on what ever giant I'm carrying as secondary. Win-win optimization, imo. Compromised all-in-one concepts are inevitably too large for optimal typing or too small for optimal theatre viewing. Dual carry affords a no compromise solution, imo.
    I think you are on to something . A sim carrying all touch BlackBerry that can hot spot with a small PKB Communicator. We will call it “The Bridge” or we could have but for the royalty to Mr. Chen’s BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-06-18 at 05:00 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    12-06-18 04:42 PM
    i have had my Key2 for less than a week now, coming from a Classic, and there has certainly been an adjustment period like there would with any device switch. The feel of the Classic keys' sculpting definitely can't be beat but I am slowly getting used to the Key2 keys. I have an old Bold 9700 that I pulled out to compare the keyboard with and wow do the 9700 and the other Key2's keyboards feel pretty similar in terms of feedback with key depression.
    12-08-18 05:43 AM