Without an IP rating, I am really hesitant using the K2 in any situation that involves water. I have been really careful keeping the K2 from any source of water splash (I even wipe my hands completely dry after washing before typing on the keyboard)

However, with my S9 I really didn't have to do any of these. I can even pick up a call in the rain when I am outside golfing or just straight up use it in the bathroom. And this is the feature I sorely miss

Does any K2 user ever used their phone in rain or typing with a wet pair of hands? How is it holding up?
    08-15-18 02:07 AM
    Not sure how splash proof this device really is. Maybe the thread taking apart the phone would reveal how much humidity the phone can handle
    08-15-18 03:00 AM
    I've had mine splashed on quite a few times, I don't think it's super delicate or anything like that. I've used it with wet hands too. just don't go scuba diving with it lol
    08-15-18 03:46 AM
    Even the phones I had with an IP-rating I kept far from water or whatever liquids... It's still an electronic device and in my opinion electrics and water don't go well with each other... 😅
    Vistaus and jamesharmeling like this.
    08-15-18 03:48 AM
    If you look at the tear-down thread, looks like the biggest water vulnerability is the spacebar, under which water could get inside the phone.
    08-15-18 04:04 AM
    If you look at the tear-down thread, looks like the biggest water vulnerability is the spacebar, under which water could get inside the phone.
    So spacebar aside, it's fine if a few drops get in between the keys?
    08-15-18 06:00 AM
    So spacebar aside, it's fine if a few drops get in between the keys?
    Looks like it yes, the rest of the keyboard is sealed
    08-15-18 01:12 PM
    Looks like it yes, the rest of the keyboard is sealed
    So if for KEY3 then went with OLED and an in-display fingerprint sensor (or side mounted like some Sonys), they could seal the whole keyboard this way and basically give us an IP something?
    Knightmayre90 and Ir0n_sEtH like this.
    08-15-18 02:25 PM
    So if for KEY3 then went with OLED and an in-display fingerprint sensor (or side mounted like some Sonys), they could seal the whole keyboard this way and basically give us an IP something?
    Sounds possible when you put it that way. My guess is IP rating have never been at the top of the priority list for TCL or Blackberry and I can totally understand that. Get the basic right first then talk about the "good to have" features.
    08-15-18 10:43 PM
    it will survive rain, even a full submersion, but no more a few seconds.
    08-15-18 11:49 PM
    I don't know the name of the video, but I watched a review on YouTube where the lady reviewing it tried to pull off the keys to see how well attached they are. They are *really* well attached with a rubber membrane that seemed pretty solid. I don't think drips or drops from a light rain or wet hands will be an issue
    08-15-18 11:54 PM
    I don't know the name of the video, but I watched a review on YouTube where the lady reviewing it tried to pull off the keys to see how well attached they are. They are *really* well attached with a rubber membrane that seemed pretty solid. I don't think drips or drops from a light rain or wet hands will be an issue
    I don't think the fact that they're well attached necessarily means there is adequate sealing to keep water out.

Seems there's 2 ways to do this. Make the sealing under the keys, or copy the Priv's keyboard design with 1 single piece of rubber doubling as the keys
    08-16-18 03:04 AM
    I don't think the fact that they're well attached necessarily means there is adequate sealing to keep water out.

Seems there's 2 ways to do this. Make the sealing under the keys, or copy the Priv's keyboard design with 1 single piece of rubber doubling as the keys
    The PRIV design as you describe it is how the K2 is constructed, with the exception of the spacebar. It does seem that if the spacebar were sealed in the same way as the rest of the keyboard, the whole keyboard would be sealed. Not sure why it wouldn't be possible to accomplish this even with the FP scanner embedded in the spacebar?
    08-16-18 06:41 AM
    The PRIV design as you describe it is how the K2 is constructed, with the exception of the spacebar. It does seem that if the spacebar were sealed in the same way as the rest of the keyboard, the whole keyboard would be sealed. Not sure why it wouldn't be possible to accomplish this even with the FP scanner embedded in the spacebar?
    Actually, the Priv's design is different than the KEY2's.

See my thread below

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/

Priv - 1 single piece of rubber is the keyboard, similar to rubber covers for MacBook keyboards

KEY2 - Each key is individually placed

Now, I'm not sure whatever goes underneath each key, but I think you get the point.

I personally think the Priv design is the most failproof in every single way.

Benefits of having such a keyboard are:

-Water protection

-No dust/crumbs can get in between the keys

-No individual key can be separated

-If for some reason you need to replace it (worn paint or whatever), you could just order 1 single part which is easier to come by than 35 individual ones

-Easier for OEM to manufacture

The only concern is how to keep a really nice satisfying click with that design. For Priv, they had to figure out how to hide it behind the moving screen module, which made for a cramped experience. However for KEY line, they can use all the space they need.

I'd trade the spacebar fingerprint sensor any day for IP rating failproof 1 piece keyboard
    08-16-18 07:13 AM
    Actually, the Priv's design is different than the KEY2's.

See my thread below

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/

Priv - 1 single piece of rubber is the keyboard, similar to rubber covers for MacBook keyboards

KEY2 - Each key is individually placed

Now, I'm not sure whatever goes underneath each key, but I think you get the point.

I personally think the Priv design is the most failproof in every single way.

Benefits of having such a keyboard are:

-Water protection

-No dust/crumbs can get in between the keys

-No individual key can be separated

-If for some reason you need to replace it (worn paint or whatever), you could just order 1 single part which is easier to come by than 35 individual ones

-Easier for OEM to manufacture

The only concern is how to keep a really nice satisfying click with that design. For Priv, they had to figure out how to hide it behind the moving screen module, which made for a cramped experience. However for KEY line, they can use all the space they need.

I'd trade the spacebar fingerprint sensor any day for IP rating failproof 1 piece keyboard
    On the K2, there is a rubber sheet under the keys, and aside from some small spaces where the pegs that hold it in, that sheet is unbroken. The keys themselves are attached to this sheet. All except the spacebar.

This image was posted here by another user who did the teardown:

https://forums.crackberry.com/attach...art-4-5-42.jpg
    08-16-18 08:05 AM
    it will survive rain, even a full submersion, but no more a few seconds.
    That is absolutely incorrect and you shouldn't post nonsense like this.
    Knightmayre90 likes this.
    08-16-18 08:22 AM
    Full submersion, especially of the headphone jack, USB jack, speaker grille, and keyboard should definitely be avoided. I would say in general though, it should be fairly resistant to splashes and droplets. Just make sure you wipe if off quickly to avoid any intrusion.
    08-16-18 09:04 AM
    On the K2, there is a rubber sheet under the keys, and aside from some small spaces where the pegs that hold it in, that sheet is unbroken. The keys themselves are attached to this sheet. All except the spacebar.

This image was posted here by another user who did the teardown:

https://forums.crackberry.com/attach...art-4-5-42.jpg
    Which part goes over which?
    08-16-18 09:11 AM
    So far I haven't used the Key2 in the rain, however I'm using all kind of electronic devices (phones, PDAs, cameras) in rain and so far I haven't encountered any problems. Of course you need to be careful when using any none-sealed electric device while raining, for example I wouldn't do so during any heavy downfalls or something, but during light (spray) rain I never had an issue.

No device will break because it gets some raindroplets on it, you should just make sure to dry it when you get the chance and double check no water gets into any of the ports.
    08-16-18 09:18 AM
    Without an IP rating, I am really hesitant using the K2 in any situation that involves water. I have been really careful keeping the K2 from any source of water splash (I even wipe my hands completely dry after washing before typing on the keyboard)

However, with my S9 I really didn't have to do any of these. I can even pick up a call in the rain when I am outside golfing or just straight up use it in the bathroom. And this is the feature I sorely miss

Does any K2 user ever used their phone in rain or typing with a wet pair of hands? How is it holding up?
    Hi, my Key2 actually died from water damage after 3 weeks of owning it so I thought I should chime in.

I'd taken my phone to work and had it in my pocket.
    It had rained the day before, so the environment was wet but it wasn't actively raining.

At some point I guess I leaned against a wet wall or chair and some residual water soaked in to my coat pocket. I had my hand in my pocket pretty often, checking your phone is still there as you do, and never noticed it to be wet.

After around an hour of it being in my pocket, I pulled the Key2 out to check the time and realised it was off and the case was slightly damp.
    I tried the power button, hoping the screen was just off, but it was no use.

I took the sim tray out, dried the phone off with paper towels, used a hair drier and left the phone in a sealed back with silica packets for 2 weeks, all to no success.

Every phone I've previously had had no problems being used on rainy walks home, even my KeyOne. But my Key2 couldn't even handle a bit of moisture soaked through a pocket.

My only guess is that the PKB makes it extra vulnerable to liquid, but I've never had problems with the KeyOne PKB so I'm honestly not sure why they Key2 fared so badly.

Right now it's on it's way to the repair center and I'm hoping for good news, but I don't have high hopes and bought a KeyOne Black Edition on eBay to use in the mean time.

All in all, I suggest you be EXTRA CAREFUL with your Key2 around any kind of moisture.
    Treat the thing like it's made of paper.
    08-17-18 03:23 AM
    Hi, my Key2 actually died from water damage after 3 weeks of owning it so I thought I should chime in.

I'd taken my phone to work and had it in my pocket.
    It had rained the day before, so the environment was wet but it wasn't actively raining.

At some point I guess I leaned against a wet wall or chair and some residual water soaked in to my coat pocket. I had my hand in my pocket pretty often, checking your phone is still there as you do, and never noticed it to be wet.

After around an hour of it being in my pocket, I pulled the Key2 out to check the time and realised it was off and the case was slightly damp.
    I tried the power button, hoping the screen was just off, but it was no use.

I took the sim tray out, dried the phone off with paper towels, used a hair drier and left the phone in a sealed back with silica packets for 2 weeks, all to no success.

Every phone I've previously had had no problems being used on rainy walks home, even my KeyOne. But my Key2 couldn't even handle a bit of moisture soaked through a pocket.

My only guess is that the PKB makes it extra vulnerable to liquid, but I've never had problems with the KeyOne PKB so I'm honestly not sure why they Key2 fared so badly.

Right now it's on it's way to the repair center and I'm hoping for good news, but I don't have high hopes and bought a KeyOne Black Edition on eBay to use in the mean time.

All in all, I suggest you be EXTRA CAREFUL with your Key2 around any kind of moisture.
    Treat the thing like it's made of paper.
    That's a really unfortunate experience, especially since there was a case on the phone.
    Hope they can get yours fixed, and sure hope not all KEY2's die with a bit of moisture.
    08-17-18 03:53 AM
    Speak of the devil, it's literally just arrived at my door.

No communication from the repair center as I was told they would, just a letter with it saying "Liquid Contamination. Cost of repair exceeds the value of the handset".

So now I have a £580 paperweight.

I'd looked forward to this phone, and despite the camera being worse than KeyOne and the audio glitches, it was a pleasure to type on and I really do miss it.

That being said, I honestly can't recommend a £600 phone that dies from the slightest moisture, or even at random from what I've seen others post on here.

If anyone was considering getting a Key2 here, I really suggest sticking to a KeyOne Black Edition. No noticeable speed differences, 1/3 of the price and it's now on Oreo too.
    Key2 is the most disappointing phone I've ever had, and I'm now half a grand poorer with nothing to show for it. Don't be like me.
    08-17-18 04:35 AM
    Speak of the devil, it's literally just arrived at my door.

No communication from the repair center as I was told they would, just a letter with it saying "Liquid Contamination. Cost of repair exceeds the value of the handset".

So now I have a £580 paperweight.

I'd looked forward to this phone, and despite the camera being worse than KeyOne and the audio glitches, it was a pleasure to type on and I really do miss it.

That being said, I honestly can't recommend a £600 phone that dies from the slightest moisture, or even at random from what I've seen others post on here.

If anyone was considering getting a Key2 here, I really suggest sticking to a KeyOne Black Edition. No noticeable speed differences, 1/3 of the price and it's now on Oreo too.
    Key2 is the most disappointing phone I've ever had, and I'm now half a grand poorer with nothing to show for it. Don't be like me.
    That's really unfortunate, sorry about that.

Could you try taking it to a reputable nearby repair shop and see if they can bring it back to life?
    08-17-18 05:20 AM
    That's really unfortunate, sorry about that.

Could you try taking it to a reputable nearby repair shop and see if they can bring it back to life?
    I appreciate the sympathy~

I don't know of any local ones.
    Are there any online that are known to accept Key2 repairs yet?
    08-17-18 05:23 AM
    I appreciate the sympathy~

I don't know of any local ones.
    Are there any online that are known to accept Key2 repairs yet?
    Not sure, it probably depends on the region.

Nothing to lose by just trying a local place, since sending one to a far place is a hassle with shipping costs etc..
    08-17-18 05:55 AM
38 12