I suppose that sounded a bit insensitive and I understand your reaction. This system is not yet perfected as I stated in an earlier post.
    Unfortunately, many people don't seem to want to discuss the system at all.
    The system recently implemented in Ontario is severely flawed. A few weeks ago they sent out the same notification twice in a row, and then literally woke millions of people with a notification that the alert was over.
    We should be able to discuss ways to improve the system. Unfortunately many people take any criticism of the system poorly. Anyone posting something like this on Twitter is basically accused of siding with child abductors. Even media outlets like CBC seem to agree.
    Interestingly, with yesterday's alert I only received the one notification. I don't see anyone screaming about how irresponsible it was not to send it out three times.

Edit: I should add that this thread is the most rational discussion on the topic I've seen anywhere.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    03-20-19 04:44 PM
    Her is the link to show how the procedures and training is a failure for the newly implemented Amber alert system in Ontario. Not only was there no laws, rules or court orders broken but the police went on only what a mother said "she was concerned for their daughter's safety". When they can't get it right it will eventually desensitize the public to continuous failures in the system. For a system as important as this they need to nail things down so there are no mistakes.
    All court documentation and orders need to be available to police in order for this to even work.

Debacle so far in Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...LzHkgkXb1yGwLo
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 03-21-19 at 07:23 AM.
    03-21-19 07:07 AM
    really? you are going to complain that they are try to find children before they are murdered? give your head a shake. all those options you mentioned are useless now because people mostly get their info from their mobile devices.
    03-21-19 08:18 AM
    really? you are going to complain that they are try to find children before they are murdered? give your head a shake. all those options you mentioned are useless now because people mostly get their info from their mobile devices.
    Putting words in my mouth doesn't make you right. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Can we not have an intelligent discussion about how the system should be improved without extremists digging their way out of the woodwork ?
    03-21-19 08:52 AM
    Just received this text. Nice to see they are putting more work into it.
    Canada, Ontario Deactivate Amber alerts-screenshot_20190501-120034.jpeg
    Bob80220 likes this.
    05-01-19 11:03 AM
    To the contrary, I find that I would pay more attention to them if they were quieter... the insane sound makes me swat them off without looking at them.
    05-01-19 02:25 PM
    You are correct on both counts. I am in Canada, and even though I toggled off... they still come in... which is super annoying. As previously detailed. I am all for the Amber Alert System and helping a missing child... But forcing them on peoples phones is over reaching by the government. I have a right to select what I want my phone to do.
    05-01-19 02:27 PM
    I can find Out in the morning or whenever I have time too look if it's on my phone waiting otherwise I would not be able to be of any assistance due to me sleeping or swimming in my pool or at work.

I am for the system in place but we deserve the right to control how it is received. After all this is my device

Not to mention we are surrounded with people with phones on them.
    EXACTLY!
    I am 100% for the amber alert system... but do not over ride my phone. If I am awake I will check all stuff on my phone continually even if not insanely loud, I WILL see the alert IF i am in a capacity to help with it. I also check twitter, the news on TV and facebook... I will see it... the government has no right to wake me up.
    05-01-19 02:31 PM
    You are correct on both counts. I am in Canada, and even though I toggled off... they still come in... which is super annoying. As previously detailed. I am all for the Amber Alert System and helping a missing child... But forcing them on peoples phones is over reaching by the government. I have a right to select what I want my phone to do.
    Agreed and as I said before the incontinency of the alerts maybe due to poor programming by Google or the manufacturer's modified OS. Not sure where that problem lies but hopefully it gets fixed.
    05-01-19 02:32 PM
    Your phone goes insane because a child is missing.
    I’m not saying you have to opt in on them but for it just to be a gentle pop up seems like a waste of resources.
    Again, totally your choice.
    Not a waste of resources. I can't help while I'm in a meeting as I'm not on the road, and when I'm driving I don't look at my phone nor do I want such an alarming notification while behind the wheel. It's WAY too intense.
    Vistaus likes this.
    05-06-19 08:20 PM
    I completely support the concept of amber alerts, in the media, news, social media, radio etc... I disagree with forcing it on peoples phones. Especially without letting me pick the volume.

At 5:15pm today my phone went insane, it was so loud, my instinct was just to silence it, without even being able to see the alert, I just wanted the noise gone.

Is there a way... any way at all... to turn off these alerts? or modify the sound it makes on my key2?
    You can disable the Cell Broadcasts apk (com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver)

This will remove the Cell Broadcast menu from device settings. But I'm not sure if it will actually prevent incoming alerts or not.

"Disabling System Apps - XDA Method"
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ethod-1168996/
    05-06-19 09:10 PM
36 12