I completely support the concept of amber alerts, in the media, news, social media, radio etc... I disagree with forcing it on peoples phones. Especially without letting me pick the volume.

At 5:15pm today my phone went insane, it was so loud, my instinct was just to silence it, without even being able to see the alert, I just wanted the noise gone.

Is there a way... any way at all... to turn off these alerts? or modify the sound it makes on my key2?
    03-19-19 04:49 PM
    Is there a way... any way at all... to turn off these alerts? or modify the sound it makes on my key2?
    Go to Settings>Search for Amber Alerts>Disable them. Keep in mind, this can often be a carrier and regional setting and you MAY not be able to disable them or change them. My KEY2 on T-Mobile allows me to disable them as well as Extreme Alerts, Severe Alerts, and WPAS Test Alerts.
    Laura Knotek and Dude_9 like this.
    03-19-19 04:51 PM
    If you go to the Apps & Notifications and select Emergency Broadcasts you can toggle off the emergency alerts.

Bob
    03-19-19 04:52 PM
    I am on AT&T and I can select which Emergency Alerts I want to receive.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Deactivate Amber alerts-30373.jpg  
    03-19-19 04:55 PM
    And since they've not been used much the programing may not be accurate or the people who choose the type of threat to be sent may be inaccurate. I had mine set to only extreme threats and I my phone still went off for an Amber alert. I just turned them all off and all I got was a quiet pop-up on the screen.
    Perfect!
    03-19-19 05:03 PM
    Your phone goes insane because a child is missing.
    I’m not saying you have to opt in on them but for it just to be a gentle pop up seems like a waste of resources.
    Again, totally your choice.
    03-19-19 05:07 PM
    As a father of 6 children, all grown now, I am very sensitive to Amber Alerts. I want to know if a child or children are in danger if they were abducted so I can be on the look out.

Regarding the other alerts, it might be handy to know if a nuclear missile is heading my way or an asteroid is going to collide with planet earth.

Bob
    03-19-19 05:12 PM
    Given the timing of this question, I'm guessing you're in Canada.
    You actually can't turn off the alerts. Canadian policy is to send out Amber alerts as what I believe the US call Presidential Alerts.
    03-19-19 05:51 PM
    Regarding the other alerts, it might be handy to know if a nuclear missile is heading my way or an asteroid is going to collide with planet earth.

Bob
    Meh...not worried about those. I have Iron Dome above my house...all good.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-19-19 05:52 PM

Bob
    Particularly if you're in a dangerous location such as Hawaii.
    Last edited by 1122334455667788; 03-20-19 at 12:22 PM.
    IceCreamPlz likes this.
    03-19-19 05:55 PM

Bob
    We don't need to worry about the asteroid because we're gonna have Space Force soon. It'll be comprised of John McClane, Bruce Wayne, Mr. Pink and John Beckwith.
    03-19-19 06:18 PM
    People, what 1st world problems we all have. For me I have them all on, I like to be informed. As for an Amber Alert, as a father of 2, I would think we would all want to help a child in grave need, be it mine or yours. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Vistaus, Bob80220, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    03-19-19 06:29 PM
    People, what 1st world problems we all have. For me I have them all on, I like to be informed. As for an Amber Alert, as a father of 2, I would think we would all want to help a child in grave need, be it mine or yours. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Especially if, again, the situation was rectified because of the alert.
    03-19-19 09:02 PM
    Especially if, again, the situation was rectified because of the alert.
    Amber Alerts are sent out over a number of platforms in addition to cell phones... overhead signs in cities and on highways, cable and satellite TV, etc.

Amber Alerts have proven to be very effective and helpful in assisting law enforcement find missing children. If someone wants to opt out of Amber Alerts on their cell phone that's their choice if they find it an annoying nuisance.

Personally I don't... for all the right reasons.

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    03-19-19 09:28 PM
    Just figured it out. In settings (emergency alerts) scroll down and there's an option for how often it notifies you. Select once.

My phone had over 30 notifications for the same alert. Set it to once, disable the sound if you want, etc. I would leave them all on though.
    03-19-19 10:54 PM
    You should also change the "how often" for amber alerts - once [once per alert] is sufficient.
    03-19-19 10:55 PM
    I can find Out in the morning or whenever I have time too look if it's on my phone waiting otherwise I would not be able to be of any assistance due to me sleeping or swimming in my pool or at work.

I am for the system in place but we deserve the right to control how it is received. After all this is my device

Not to mention we are surrounded with people with phones on them.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    03-20-19 09:47 AM
    Amber Alerts are sent out over a number of platforms in addition to cell phones... overhead signs in cities and on highways, cable and satellite TV, etc.

Amber Alerts have proven to be very effective and helpful in assisting law enforcement find missing children. If someone wants to opt out of Amber Alerts on their cell phone that's their choice if they find it an annoying nuisance.

Personally I don't... for all the right reasons.

Bob
    And these kind of alerts are also sent in different forms. For example, in my country, Amber Alerts are snet through text messages while emergency alerts are sent through a message box (don't know how else to describe it).
    03-20-19 01:12 PM
    I can find Out in the morning or whenever I have time too look if it's on my phone waiting otherwise I would not be able to be of any assistance due to me sleeping or swimming in my pool or at work.

I am for the system in place but we deserve the right to control how it is received. After all this is my device

Not to mention we are surrounded with people with phones on them.
    I’m refraining from responding to your post.
    Probably would be banned for life.
    03-20-19 03:48 PM
    I’m refraining from responding to your post.
    Probably would be banned for life.
    I suppose that sounded a bit insensitive and I understand your reaction. This system is not yet perfected as I stated in an earlier post. Many people who were either sleeping or doing some sensitive task do not need to be shocked by such a shocking noise they have no idea how to turn off or what it is. As I said my phone was not supposed to go off for an Amber but only display on screen yet that may not have been the notification that was sent or the programing on the phone was wrong. I want to see the notification but I get to decide how.
    This is my point. I am not the only one that feels this way
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-20-19 04:12 PM
    I suppose that sounded a bit insensitive and I understand your reaction. This system is not yet perfected as I stated in an earlier post. Many people who were either sleeping or doing some sensitive task do not need to be shocked by such a shocking noise they have no idea how to turn off or what it is. As I said my phone was not supposed to go off for an Amber but only display on screen yet that may not have been the notification that was sent or the programing on the phone was wrong. I want to see the notification but I get to decide how.
    I understand and appreciate your response. I also agree that we should be able to decide whether we want to receive these or not.

I just want to emphasize, they are loud and annoying because a child may be in danger. I do not know if you have children (I have 2 daughters who are grown) but it is every parents nightmare to have something happen to one of their kids. I can say that I opt into these and if one of my neighbors children is ever in danger, I want to be woken up or made aware so I can attempt to help. I do not want to see in the news the next morning that something tragic happened and I didn’t respond. I couldn’t live with myself.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-20-19 04:17 PM
    Do Amber alerts come through when the phone is on bedside mode?

I would agree that as long as your prepared to be disturbed by a phone call, you should receive Amber alerts.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-19 04:19 PM
    I understand and appreciate your response. I also agree that we should be able to decide whether we want to receive these or not.

I just want to emphasize, they are loud and annoying because a child may be in danger. I do not know if you have children (I have 2 daughters who are grown) but it is every parents nightmare to have something happen to one of their kids. I can say that I opt into these and if one of my neighbors children is ever in danger, I want to be woken up or made aware so I can attempt to help. I do not want to see in the news the next morning that something tragic happened and I didn’t respond. I couldn’t live with myself.
    I don't see how an intrusive alert in the middle of the night is going to change anything but your sleep and performance the next day. It's not like you are going to get dressed at 1am and get in your car and drive to suspected area for the perpetrator or victims. It can wait till you wake. We all check our phones in the morning so it will not be missed. In fact I am on my phone plenty as my wife would say. Lol

And yes I have three adult children, two girls one boy.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    03-20-19 04:28 PM
    Food for thought;

195 Amber Alerts

Since the inception of Amber Alerts in 1996, there have been 924 children safely recovered. NCMEC has a new report analyzing 195 Amber Alerts issued nationwide in 2017, and it shows impressive results.Sep 26, 2018

Social conscience is inconvenient at times, but necessary in a civilized society. Cheers,
    TgeekB and Bob80220 like this.
    03-20-19 04:29 PM
    Food for thought;

195 Amber Alerts

Since the inception of Amber Alerts in 1996, there have been 924 children safely recovered. NCMEC has a new report analyzing 195 Amber Alerts issued nationwide in 2017, and it shows impressive results.Sep 26, 2018

Social conscience is inconvenient at times, but necessary in a civilized society. Cheers,
    Like I said I am for the system and there are controls on our phones for a reason.

Thanks
    03-20-19 04:40 PM
36 12