So there is a great thread about de-googlifying the Key1.

Has anyone tried removing various things Google from the Key2? Any thoughts?

To the haters: I'm not really interested in suggestions of staying on BB10. I have it, I love it, we all know it will get killed off regardless of how much we want to keep it around. I'm not feeling comfortable with creepy big business collecting my information in an uncontrolled way -- and neither should you.
    08-06-18 03:52 PM
    So there is a great thread about de-googlifying the Key1.

Has anyone tried removing various things Google from the Key2? Any thoughts?

To the haters: I'm not really interested in suggestions of staying on BB10. I have it, I love it, we all know it will get killed off regardless of how much we want to keep it around. I'm not feeling comfortable with creepy big business collecting my information in an uncontrolled way -- and neither should you.
    So I haven't removed Google stuff, but I did get a scare from DTEK cuz it said that it accessed my microphone and pinged my location every minute for several hours while I was asleep one night. Quickly denied access to microphone and location the next day.
    08-06-18 05:07 PM
    I have disabled most things but kept play store. it's a bit tin foil hatty but I've covered the selfie cam with a black sticker and put in airplane mode overnight... you never know...
    jope28 likes this.
    08-06-18 05:10 PM
    You are not alone. I disabled what I could as well.
    08-06-18 07:09 PM
    So I haven't removed Google stuff, but I did get a scare from DTEK cuz it said that it accessed my microphone and pinged my location every minute for several hours while I was asleep one night. Quickly denied access to microphone and location the next day.
    Which app accessed your mic and location?
    08-06-18 07:35 PM
    Which app accessed your mic and location?
    Pretty sure it was the Google search app. It was probably for the OK Google function, but I had never set that up, was asleep, and it listed that it had accessed my microphone and location every minute from 11pm to 3am or something like that. It happened a couple weeks ago and I turned off access to everything for that app. I never use it anyways.
    08-06-18 09:22 PM
    I'd like to not use any gmail accounts on my next phone. Or calendar. I've been looking at a paid service called Fastmail. But I'd like to continue using the Hub. Any other suggestions for email alternatives?
    08-06-18 09:32 PM
    Why not buy an iPhone if you don't want the Google core services? Only 2 games in town. Sadly!
    08-06-18 09:44 PM
    I de-googled the DTEK50 deactivated anything google except Google account Manager ( I need it to sync my google calendar in the hub).

Works very fine... some apps will sometimes pop "this app wont work unless you update google services" but the app still work great.

No my battery lasts twice as it used to be.
    08-06-18 09:50 PM
    I'd like to not use any gmail accounts on my next phone. Or calendar. I've been looking at a paid service called Fastmail. But I'd like to continue using the Hub. Any other suggestions for email alternatives?
    Protonmail.a secure solution for your needs but it doesn't integrate with the hub. It is a separate app.
    08-06-18 10:13 PM
    Fastmail is a great service (aside from their recent outage which caused an uproar over their lack of redundancy) with an excellent client app which provides the look and feel of its web interface. I also use Runbox with Nine. As for my current efforts to move away from Google:

Gmail --> Nine
    Chrome --> FF Focus
    YouTube --> NewPipe
    Photos --> F-Stop Pro
    Messages --> Signal

I have disabled:

Google
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Text-to-speech Engine
    Chrome
    Photos
    Gmail

All of the above remain disabled across device restarts. And have removed:

Google News
    BBM (preferring Signal)
    Password Keeper
    Last edited by adamlau; 08-07-18 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Added additional removed apps...
    guizmox and xubabi like this.
    08-07-18 12:21 AM
    I did pretty much the same (disabled all Google Apps) Also desactivated all kind of historic Google collects from every service (youtube, location, web searches...) which means that every time I perform a search, I've got random advertisings and suggestions are not accurate, and I'm fine with it, don't want a robot to tell to me what I should like or not. I don't know the impact on battery life as I always did that on my BB Android devices.
    08-07-18 12:41 AM
    Pretty sure it was the Google search app. It was probably for the OK Google function, but I had never set that up, was asleep, and it listed that it had accessed my microphone and location every minute from 11pm to 3am or something like that. It happened a couple weeks ago and I turned off access to everything for that app. I never use it anyways.
    Very interesting, perhaps it was some kind of malfunction?

For the assistant ("OK Google") function, they have to be recording non stop, and they will upload whatever the mic pics up after that to their servers. Also, this is probably so baked into the system that it might not show up on normal "traffic".

I am wondering, though, how reliable DTEK is in detecting permissions and access across apps?

Protonmail.a secure solution for your needs but it doesn't integrate with the hub. It is a separate app.
    The basic version of protonmail is, unfortunately, very restricted, while the paid version very expensive. The upside of protonmail is that when you stop paying, you still are left with a working email address.
    08-07-18 01:51 AM

For the assistant ("OK Google") function, they have to be recording non stop, and they will upload whatever the mic pics up after that to their servers. Also, this is probably so baked into the system that it might not show up on normal "traffic".

I am wondering, though, how reliable DTEK is in detecting permissions and access across apps?

The basic version of protonmail is, unfortunately, very restricted, while the paid version very expensive. The upside of protonmail is that when you stop paying, you still are left with a working email address.
    Dtek is useless... it tells me apps accessed my microphone while the permission is denied for those apps... so with? Either permissions are not being set or DTEK is crap which is more likely
    08-07-18 02:00 AM
    Why not buy an iPhone if you don't want the Google core services? Only 2 games in town. Sadly!
    No keyboard and an even more arrogant company than Google, telling us what to do and how to do it all the time. They collect as much data, too.

It is definitely sad, but the privacy battle is only beginning. "They" currently have the upper hand, and that's why we need efforts to decouple modern mobile technology from two major providers that seem to be controlling it in the West.

What better place to start than Blackberry?

If we, as a community, can provide good recipes and cases for minimizing spyware, we're more likely to get heard and reduce the bloat.
    mikeath likes this.
    08-07-18 02:02 AM

In my use of the Dtek app it has actually been pretty reliable. I don't fall in the camp of thinking that it's crap like Nizar Maaroufi, but your mileage may vary. It does a good job to me and when I have my tin foil hat on I like knowing what I need to get rid of vs not. Also, one reason that Dtek could be showing that something was accessed even if the permission is off is if the app does it anyways. I believe there was something about AccuWeather doing this a little while back. If I find the article I'll post it.

Either way, I had my tin foil hat on that morning and I am not a fan of Google any more so what better reason to turn off all permissions
    08-07-18 10:13 AM
    08-07-18 10:16 AM
    In my use of the Dtek app it has actually been pretty reliable. I don't fall in the camp of thinking that it's crap like Nizar Maaroufi, but your mileage may vary. It does a good job to me and when I have my tin foil hat on I like knowing what I need to get rid of vs not. Also, one reason that Dtek could be showing that something was accessed even if the permission is off is if the app does it anyways. I believe there was something about AccuWeather doing this a little while back. If I find the article I'll post it.

Either way, I had my tin foil hat on that morning and I am not a fan of Google any more so what better reason to turn off all permissions
    So it would be interesting to understand what DTEK can and cannot do... technically.

Apart from that, someone mentioned an on-phone firewall that was useful in detecting activity and packets sent. That would help to understand when and how the phone phones home

Also, thanks for the Accuweather link. It seems it's difficult to trust any provider these days. Like in this case, even if some malicious activity is detected, the app developer will claim it was a 3rd party library...
    08-07-18 05:22 PM