Well, the screen on my K1 smashed yesterday. It got me thinking if I should just use it as is, and pre-order a K2 when possible. In the end I just ordered a new screen for my K1 (Alibaba, so it will be a month), as it will be easier to sell when I get a K2.

Anyway, now I am curious about dates speculation. I am thinking the earliest would be near the end of may before they announce, and availability 45 days after that? Seems reasonable, but that puts them mid June, and a launch at the beggining of summer holidays seems like poor timing. You would think they would want to time it with back to school, so add a few months to that timeline...
    05-04-18 02:29 PM
    I am certainly hoping an official announcement will be soon... like next week would be well appreciated. Pre-order around May 15 and delivery the first week of June.

I know... I know... I'm a dreamer... 😁

Bob
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-04-18 05:47 PM
    If you are in the US I doubt we'll be able to put our hands one a device before July - Aug. Sorry, I am just being realistic.
    05-04-18 05:58 PM
    If you are in the US I doubt we'll be able to put our hands one a device before July - Aug. Sorry, I am just being realistic.
    I am in the states but I am hoping TCL/BBMo doesn't do a release like they did with the KEYone.

I understand what you're saying but with all the flack TCL/BBMo got over the KEYone distribution and availability I'm hoping they have changed their philosophy.

Bob
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    05-04-18 07:13 PM
    I am in the states but I am hoping TCL/BBMo doesn't do a release like they did with the KEYone.

I understand what you're saying but with all the flack TCL/BBMo got over the KEYone distribution and availability I'm hoping they have changed their philosophy.

Bob
    Though there was nothing too inaccurate in the communication during the days leading to the KEYone launch and subsequent release, you can probably expect a more accurate communication or less misleading if you will but I wouldn't count on device availability before July, even Aug.
    05-04-18 09:10 PM
    Though there was nothing too inaccurate in the communication during the days leading to the KEYone launch and subsequent release, you can probably expect a more accurate communication or less misleading if you will but I wouldn't count on device availability before July, even Aug.
    If it is July or August so be it... until we hear something official from TCL/BBMo regarding the release and availability, etc for the KEY2 there can only be speculation.

Time will tell...

Bob
    05-04-18 09:14 PM
    If it is July or August so be it... until we hear something official from TCL/BBMo regarding the release and availability, etc for the KEY2 there can only be speculation.

Time will tell...

Bob
    I am with you!
    05-04-18 09:42 PM
    I know it's not proof or anything, but if you look at when TCL/BB devices have been released in relation to TENAA certification, it's generally 1-2 months after.

Since it was certified 4-25, I'm going to guess it'll arrive mid June. Pure speculation though.
    05-05-18 01:19 AM
    I know it's not proof or anything, but if you look at when TCL/BB devices have been released in relation to TENAA certification, it's generally 1-2 months after.

Since it was certified 4-25, I'm going to guess it'll arrive mid June. Pure speculation though.
    Which is about in-line with my July / Aug availability assumption
    05-05-18 01:40 AM
    Which is about in-line with my July / Aug availability assumption
    I was thinking mid June, but that's assuming they announce it next week at the very latest. We still need to see other certs like the FCC or WiFi Alliance shortly if it is to be released next month.

Your assumption might be a safer bet.
    05-05-18 01:50 AM
    I was thinking mid June, but that's assuming they announce it next week at the very latest. We still need to see other certs like the FCC or WiFi Alliance shortly if it is to be released next month.

Your assumption might be a safer bet.
    Even if they announce this month it won't get to the US before July / Aug in my estimation as we were a month or two behind England with the KEYone. There was very limited availability about a month after the official release in England but it wasn't until two months after that you could safely buy a device on Amazon knowing it will actually ship.
    05-05-18 01:55 AM
    Even if they announce this month it won't get to the US before July / Aug in my estimation as we were a month or two behind England with the KEYone. There was very limited availability about a month after the official release in England but it wasn't until two months after that you could safely buy a device on Amazon knowing it will actually ship.
    Very true. I'm just talking release in any region. I'm in the states but ordered the KEYone a good amount before a US release from Selfridges.

I would do it again, though it's a shame the Euro models don't have all the same bands.

Wish they would have a universal one size fits all model but I don't expect that to happen.
    05-05-18 01:58 AM
    If available first in the UK, i will definitely go for it
    05-05-18 05:49 AM
    I suspect it will be a similar release schedule. Carriers want sales data if unsure about demand. Since BBMo/TCL wants/needs carriers in North America, unless carriers are satisfied with their own KEYone data, it will be another UK/Europe, Canada then USA rollout again.
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-05-18 06:01 AM
    Honestly, I think BBmobile has learned from last years situation and will only announce it when there's enough stock.
    DWonder likes this.
    05-05-18 06:19 AM
    I suspect it will be a similar release schedule. Carriers want sales data if unsure about demand. Since BBMo/TCL wants/needs carriers in North America, unless carriers are satisfied with their own KEYone data, it will be another UK/Europe, Canada then USA rollout again.
    This!
    05-05-18 08:40 PM
    I don't know, carrier support in the US is starting to be like radio sales to music now-a-days, used to be a factor but not really needed. Att, Verizon, t-mobile, and sprint are all pushing the pre-paid byod (more so with the gsm carriers but as you seen with the KEYone, there was a CDMA unlocked version for Verizon) model of doing things.
    05-06-18 10:11 AM
    I don't know, carrier support in the US is starting to be like radio sales to music now-a-days, used to be a factor but not really needed. Att, Verizon, t-mobile, and sprint are all pushing the pre-paid byod (more so with the gsm carriers but as you seen with the KEYone, there was a CDMA unlocked version for Verizon) model of doing things.
    I’d disagree. I was part of that push to BYOD until I found out my carrier AT&T doesn’t support enhanced calling services to Devices not originally purchased from AT&T. Same goes for Verizon on CDMA devices.

The carriers are happy to BYOD and then sell you a new device on payments to overcome the limitations.
    05-06-18 10:49 AM
    I’d disagree. I was part of that push to BYOD until I found out my carrier AT&T doesn’t support enhanced calling services to Devices not originally purchased from AT&T. Same goes for Verizon on CDMA devices.

The carriers are happy to BYOD and then sell you a new device on payments to overcome the limitations.
    True, they will push you to buy a device on payments but the only limitation that overcomes is the customer not having the money to buy upfront. The only people I heard complain or speak about the lack of enhanced services is sites like this. The average person on the street wouldn't know the difference. I'm on AT&T as well but I always brought in my unlocked device so I wouldn't know the difference either. But as of right now you're right, but in the near future carriers won't mean much.
    portplayer likes this.
    05-06-18 12:27 PM
    True, they will push you to buy a device on payments but the only limitation that overcomes is the customer not having the money to buy upfront. The only people I heard complain or speak about the lack of enhanced services is sites like this. The average person on the street wouldn't know the difference. I'm on AT&T as well but I always brought in my unlocked device so I wouldn't know the difference either. But as of right now you're right, but in the near future carriers won't mean much.
    I was saying and living your statements over last two years. I have four different factory unlocked devices, iPhone7, A30Plus, DTEK50 and DTEK60. It was the last two and having no carrier leverage with the OEM that sent me back to AT&T. The KEYone rollout and BBMo/TCL poor infrastructure for warranty support reminded me of 10-15 years ago. The carriers and the OEMs together have created the system and they have no interest with changing it.

Just look at two recent cases of new OEMs getting kicked off the carrier platforms before they even got on-board. Both OEMs were prepaid suppliers for years. Even Amazon/other retailers push carrier locked devices and get paid to sell the specific carrier.

Until OEMs build support infrastructure outside the carriers through better logistics companies, power is going back to carriers. The merger with T-Mobile and Sprint also demonstrate this use case. I'd have bought a Motion by now but not offered with AT&T. I won't buy a KEYtwo if not sold on AT&T.
    05-06-18 01:47 PM
    They're pushing prepaid to acquire new users and to pull users from MVNOs to the major carriers. They're not trying to push post-paid customers to pre-paid; post-paid customers are where they really make the money.

And in the US at least, most customers - and certainly the valuable customers - are on prepaid and buy their phones from their carriers. You certainly aren't going to get any enterprise or government sales without carrier support either.
    05-06-18 03:53 PM
    New thought: device/s will be launched for reviewers and marketing purposes only around Oct with availability around Christmas.

Take it as you will; it's a possibility.
    05-07-18 04:17 PM
    New thought: device/s will be launched for reviewers and marketing purposes only around Oct with availability around Christmas.

Take it as you will; it's a possibility.
    Hopefully this will not be the case... otherwise I will be G...O...N...E and sadly typing on glass.

Bob
    05-07-18 08:00 PM
    Hopefully this will not be the case... otherwise I will be G...O...N...E and sadly typing on glass.

Bob
    Quite honestly that's what it feels like, if KEYone launch is anything to go by:

Device was revealed in Feb at MWC
    Device started flowing to bloggers / reviewers - March
    Limited launch in the UK - April
    Delayed launch in the US - End of May (was supposed to be April if memory serves me right)
    Limited launch in the US - June
    Availability in the US - July / Aug

Given that we didn't see any approval certificates or filing nor the device was officially unveiled I don't see how we are going from here to Amazon 'click-n-ship' in a matter of two months. It's way too quiet to be the case.
    05-07-18 08:23 PM
    Quite honestly that's what it feels like, if KEYone launch is anything to go by:

Device was revealed in Feb at MWC
    Device started flowing to bloggers / reviewers - March
    Limited launch in the UK - April
    Delayed launch in the US - End of May (was supposed to be April if memory serves me right)
    Limited launch in the US - June
    Availability in the US - July / Aug

Given that we didn't see any approval certificates or filing nor the device was officially unveiled I don't see how we are going from here to Amazon 'click-n-ship' in a matter of two months. It's way too quiet to be the case.
    It's crickets from TCL/BBMo which is not only frustrating but somewhat concerning.

Bob
    05-07-18 09:04 PM
66 123