Hello BB users...
    I have got a Key2 BBF100-1, is there any way to root and install a Custom ROM as Pixel Experience or Lineage OS?
    Thanks.
    02-23-20 10:49 AM
    No that is no possible. Sorry
    02-23-20 10:54 AM
    @howarmat thanks for the clear reply.
    Hope maybe in a new Android version, but I think is not possible.
    02-23-20 11:14 AM
    That will not happen either. You are probably not going to get any more updates at all since its past its 2 years
    02-23-20 11:26 AM
    That will not happen either. You are probably not going to get any more updates at all since its past its 2 years
    Well the KEY2 isn't yet past two years..... so there is "some" hope for an update.

Sad thing, is even if the Boot Rom was unlocked... we don't know if anyone would have bothered creating a custom ROM for this hardware package.
    02-24-20 07:25 AM
    Well the KEY2 isn't yet past two years..... so there is "some" hope for an update.

Sad thing, is even if the Boot Rom was unlocked... we don't know if anyone would have bothered creating a custom ROM for this hardware package.
    Really? I could agree with that point wrt the BB10 bootloader or BB 2.1 for PB bootloader being unlocked. (Though there was clear interest in Android for PB from the dev community back in the day.)

But a BB Android device? I'm almost certain there'd be custom ROM activity. I've seen some pretty "dead in the water" devices get custom ROMs and extensive support. (See the HP Touchpad, which I pointed out to you in another thread.)
    Last edited by mh1983; 02-24-20 at 09:54 AM.
    02-24-20 09:42 AM
    Really? I could agree with that point wrt the BB10 bootloader or BB 2.1 for PB bootloader being unlocked. (Though there was clear interest in Android for PB from the dev community back in the day.)

But a BB Android device? I'm almost certain there'd be custom ROM activity. I've seen some pretty "dead in the water" devices get custom ROMs and extensive support. (See the HP Touchpad, which I pointed out to you in another thread.)
    HP Touchpad was sold at firesales prices, in large numbers at a point when a $99 tablet was unheard of and the Tablet market was still young. Yes if the PlayBook had been unlocked back then... someone would have got Android on it. BlackBerry fanbase is much smaller today than it was eight or nine years ago.

The issue I see is the hardware. Generally most of the interest by the bigger groups, is on Flagship devices. Have any SD660 chipsets been used with custom roms, how many have this camera setup, how many have this display resolution, how many have a PKB ....

There is a big difference in someone pushes out a custom rom, and it fully working with a device's hardware. Just check out some of the custom rom sites, you'll find a very limited selection of compatible devices and of those many will have "issues".... camera doesn't work, Bluetooth does't work.....
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-24-20 10:44 AM
    @howarmat thanks for the clear reply.
    Hope maybe in a new Android version, but I think is not possible.
    NO.
    I'm not an expert, but I do know that the HARDWARE does a validation with the operating system on boot up.

Nobody has ever broken this.

It would require Blackberry to change hardware and that's NOT going to happen.
    02-24-20 12:22 PM
    Going forward, if the Titan can find a way to still be a thing in four years I can see some enthusiasts putting out a Lineage or some other OS for it. I'm sure that it would be better than the adups preload that Unihertz saddled it with.
    02-24-20 01:49 PM
    Going forward, if the Titan can find a way to still be a thing in four years I can see some enthusiasts putting out a Lineage or some other OS for it. I'm sure that it would be better than the adups preload that Unihertz saddled it with.
    Think the use of the MediaTek processors will interfere with that... as MediaTek doesn't release their source code for the public.

It's not impossible, but it's also not as easy....
    02-24-20 02:02 PM
    Think the use of the MediaTek processors will interfere with that... as MediaTek doesn't release their source code for the public.

It's not impossible, but it's also not as easy....
    I believe the Jelly Pro has a MediaTek and you can install the stock Oreo Rom and/or Magisk, if I'm not mistaken. I think I'm going to give the Atom L a go tomorrow for $169. Hopefully we will be able to root that sucker and slap on a stock rom or otherwise in the near future.
    02-24-20 04:21 PM