I recently got onboard cricket after 15 years of being on Verizon. I love that I'm able to use the Key2 and all its features. With that said, sometimes I have spotty coverage. Does that have to do completely with Cricket? Is there anything I can do on my end to increase strength? I remember going to a Verizon store and the sales person went through the settings and manually changed the network (something about going from cdma to GSM I don't know exactly what). Any help?
    07-12-19 08:52 PM
    I recently got onboard cricket after 15 years of being on Verizon. I love that I'm able to use the Key2 and all its features. With that said, sometimes I have spotty coverage. Does that have to do completely with Cricket? Is there anything I can do on my end to increase strength? I remember going to a Verizon store and the sales person went through the settings and manually changed the network (something about going from cdma to GSM I don't know exactly what). Any help?
    With Key2 and Key2 LE, there's only LTE moving from VZW to Cricket service. Most likely, the biggest issue goes from being tier one or two on prioritization with VZW to being third on AT&T network. It might be different with AT&T postpaid or prepaid account or maybe it's not.

It could also be tower location is not as good with AT&T compared to VZW in your usage footprint.
    Laura Knotek and TgeekB like this.
    07-12-19 09:40 PM
    Do you live or travel through a rural area? Coverage is essentially the same among the carriers in cities and major suburbs but Verizon is unmatched everywhere else.
    07-13-19 03:41 AM
    What device PRD are you using? I respectfully disagree with Chuck. I don't think it has anything to do with any sort of "prioritization" on the network.

Rather, I'm willing to bet that the frequency bands your device uses has only some overlap with the frequency spectrum of the AT&T network. As a result, you're only getting some of the AT&T "connectivity experience."

One other thing you can check is your APN. Head in to a Cricket store to validate that your APN settings are correct. Sorry, I don't remember what Cricket's BYOD settings were.

Finally, you can go into the device testing screen and validate that you're using LTE/UMTS.

Go to phone app, dial *#*#46368676#*#*

Then go to phone info. In the drop down for "Set Preferred Network Type" , validate that you're selected "LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)."
    07-14-19 11:11 AM
    Chuck is right on priority on the network. AT&T just like Verizon will route calls based on service. Direct customer goes first followed it a tiered order, also just because a phone can work on a network does not mean it "works" on the network.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-14-19 03:38 PM
    Roguerebellions is stating that that there is "spotty coverage," which to me implies a complaint of fewer bars of signal coverage.

Radio reception is a different issue than class of service.

Frequency bands are one of the main reasons why AT&T ends up having their own device models & variants (typically), even from Apple.
    07-14-19 04:52 PM
    What device PRD are you using? I respectfully disagree with Chuck. I don't think it has anything to do with any sort of "prioritization" on the network.

Rather, I'm willing to bet that the frequency bands your device uses has only some overlap with the frequency spectrum of the AT&T network. As a result, you're only getting some of the AT&T "connectivity experience."

One other thing you can check is your APN. Head in to a Cricket store to validate that your APN settings are correct. Sorry, I don't remember what Cricket's BYOD settings were.

Finally, you can go into the device testing screen and validate that you're using LTE/UMTS.

Go to phone app, dial *#*#46368676#*#*

Then go to phone info. In the drop down for "Set Preferred Network Type" , validate that you're selected "LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)."
    I covered prioritization, compatibility and coverage. I only restated what the AT&T CSR and the Cricket mall salesperson told me that coincided with each other claims and explanations. My statement after prioritization agrees with your assertion.

Remember I'm no IT guy so I only speak to my questions answered regarding my phone service postpaid versus some prepaid service for couple of my helpers that weren't even having good service. I let them borrow cheap AT&T prepaid to limit my cost and theft exposure.

I didn't think about checking APN since I thought SIM automatically set those settings once powered up. I would recommend 32 second reboot after installing SIM first time from a powered off status. Thanks for better clarifying my gibberish ;-)
    07-14-19 06:15 PM