Hello,

My space bar has stopped working properly on my BB Key2. I have contacted support, and I am not happy with the process(es) they have laid out for repair/replacement.

Here it is:
    Repair process:
    - We provide with a Repair Case Number for you to register on our portal online.
    - The portal generates a shipping label for you to send the phone in, the repair center is located in Ontario. (if you are located in the United States, the phone is first being sent to our facilities in Illinois and then we proceed on sending it to Canada) the turnaround time for this process is an average of 7 business days from the date the device is received at our facility in Canada. Though the process may be longer for devices found to be out of warranty for expired warranty, physical or water damage.
    - If the device is declared out of warranty you will be receiving an email notifying you of this. It will be necessary for you to visit the portal to review the quote and accept or deny repairs, they will only initiate repairs once this quote is paid.
    - The repair center will only hold the phone for 10 business days if the repair is not paid or denied within the 10 days, they will be returning the device unrepaired.
    - All the information on the device will be erased for security reasons.
    - Please remove all accessories from your device, any accessories will be discarded and we will not be able to recover them.
    - If you agree with this process we will send you to step by step instructions for you to sign up on our portal and get your label.

Advanced Exchange:
    - We provide with an Advance Exchange Case Number for you to register on our portal online.
    - To continue with this process, a hold will be placed on your card for the retail value of your device.
    - Once we receive your payment, we will process your order and send you a replacement unit. This process will take an average of 2 business days for us to provide with the replacement phone tracking number (Monday – Friday 9am-1pm EST), if your order arrives after 1pm EST the 2 days will start the next business day. (The device will be sent from our facility in Canada, so shipping time may vary).
    - The box containing the replacement unit will also contain your return label.
    - You will be required to send your defective unit using the shipping label previously mentioned. It needs to be sent to us within the first 5 business days after you received your replacement.
    - Once we receive your device, our technicians will analyze it and look for any liquid or physical damage.
    - If there is any physical of liquid damage they will proceed to charge you for the repairs (if reparable).
    -If the device is found to be beyond economical repair you would be charged the full amount of the hold.
    - If the device clears the repair center’s quality inspections the full amount held will be released.

*On both cases a proof of purchase is required.
    I do not have the time, money, or inclination to send my phone out for weeks, and have a hold on my credit card for an unspecified (Why not just say the dollar amount, instead of "retail value"? I don't like this lack of transparency) amount. Can someone please give me some bullet points of how to properly convey my dissatisfaction? I am not comfortable with the fact that they have no incentive not to charge me full price for the unit. I have read horror stories on this forum from people who have gotten less than desirable results, including "Sorry we can't fix it because we don't have the parts". I have a bad feeling about sending my phone off to these people. I'm also upset that there are no certified repair companies in the USA. Sent to Indiana and then to Canada? Really?

If any additional info is needed I will be happy to provide it. Thank you for taking time to read and/or reply.
    01-29-19 09:19 AM
    can you elaborate spacebar issue?
    01-29-19 09:28 AM
    Hello,

My space bar has stopped working properly on my BB Key2. I have contacted support, and I am not happy with the process(es) they have laid out for repair/replacement.

Here it is:

I do not have the time, money, or inclination to send my phone out for weeks, and have a hold on my credit card for an unspecified (Why not just say the dollar amount, instead of "retail value"? I don't like this lack of transparency) amount. Can someone please give me some bullet points of how to properly convey my dissatisfaction? I am not comfortable with the fact that they have no incentive not to charge me full price for the unit. I have read horror stories on this forum from people who have gotten less than desirable results, including "Sorry we can't fix it because we don't have the parts". I have a bad feeling about sending my phone off to these people. I'm also upset that there are no certified repair companies in the USA. Sent to Indiana and then to Canada? Really?

If any additional info is needed I will be happy to provide it. Thank you for taking time to read and/or reply.
    Seems pretty standard to me and nothing out of the ordinary. And the whole thing with retail value is because it can vary from device to device. It's just worded so that it is more of a template, nothing wrong with that. The retail price of the Key2 in the US is 649.

I don't think there is any reason to be upset with the process. If you can't afford the advanced replacement then go with the other option. If there is no damage to your phone then you have nothing to worry about.

What exactly is wrong with your space bar?
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-29-19 09:37 AM
    Seems pretty standard to me and nothing out of the ordinary. And the whole thing with retail value is because it can vary from device to device. It's just worded so that it is more of a template, nothing wrong with that. The retail price of the Key2 in the US is 649.

I don't think there is any reason to be upset with the process. If you can't afford the advanced replacement then go with the other option. If there is no damage to your phone then you have nothing to worry about.

What exactly is wrong with your space bar?
    Thank you for your response. The space bar was at first lagging, but now it will not work at all unless I press it very hard.

Perhaps I'm just SOL. This will be my last BB purchase unfortunately.

Edited to add: I just don't feel comfortable having them assess the damage. What's to stop them from saying it's water damaged? How would I confirm? As stated, the horror stories I've read on these forums have made me very wary. Additionally, I cannot be without my phone for 10+ days. I guess I pretty much outlined my complaints in OP so perhaps that's what I'll reply to BB Support with. Very disappointed as I love this phone. Perhaps I can get a refund through Amazon and use the money to utilize my upgrade available through my carrier.
    01-29-19 10:08 AM
    Whoops, meant to hit reply in my last post. Please refer to it! Thank you again for your reply.
    01-29-19 10:12 AM
    can you elaborate spacebar issue?
    At first the space bar was lagging and then catching up, adding like 5 spaces to the middle of my sentences. Now it will not work at all unless pressed very hard. Any additional info needed I would be happy to report!
    01-29-19 10:13 AM
    Thank you for your response. The space bar was at first lagging, but now it will not work at all unless I press it very hard.

Perhaps I'm just SOL. This will be my last BB purchase unfortunately.

Edited to add: I just don't feel comfortable having them assess the damage. What's to stop them from saying it's water damaged? How would I confirm? As stated, the horror stories I've read on these forums have made me very wary. Additionally, I cannot be without my phone for 10+ days. I guess I pretty much outlined my complaints in OP so perhaps that's what I'll reply to BB Support with. Very disappointed as I love this phone. Perhaps I can get a refund through Amazon and use the money to utilize my upgrade available through my carrier.
    Well I assume you have already tried this, but what you're describing is an exact issue that I had not that long ago. And I was kind of freaking out about it. But I did a full shut down and then start it back up (cold boot) and my space bar started working properly again.

If that doesn't work I would do a hard reset of the phone, before even trying the warranty option.

Also, if you do go with warranty option, it does say that you have to accept the quote before they do anything. I kind of doubt they would just say there's water damage and refuse warranty, but I know it has happened before. How long ago did you get it on Amazon?
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-29-19 10:18 AM
    Well I assume you have already tried this, but what you're describing is an exact issue that I had not that long ago. And I was kind of freaking out about it. But I did a full shut down and then start it back up (cold boot) and my space bar started working properly again.

If that doesn't work I would do a hard reset of the phone, before even trying the warranty option.

Also, if you do go with warranty option, it does say that you have to accept the quote before they do anything. I kind of doubt they would just say there's water damage and refuse warranty, but I know it has happened before. How long ago did you get it on Amazon?

I tried a soft reset (Is this the correct term? I turned it off for 5 minutes and turned it back on.) I suppose the next step is to do a factory reset. What a pain in the ***. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I got it from Amazon in August via pre-order. That was a situation in itself. My dad actually bought it for me, I'm currently waiting for a reply from him to see if a return is still a possibility.

Thanks again for your replies!
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    01-29-19 10:40 AM
    I tried a soft reset (Is this the correct term? I turned it off for 5 minutes and turned it back on.) I suppose the next step is to do a factory reset. What a pain in the ***. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I got it from Amazon in August via pre-order. That was a situation in itself. My dad actually bought it for me, I'm currently waiting for a reply from him to see if a return is still a possibility.

Thanks again for your replies!
    I think you might be out of luck on the Amazon return period. I believe they only have 30 day policy.

Yeah you're good with your soft reset, if that didn't work, I would go ahead and do the hard reset next (they would do this if you sent it in anyways). If it is indeed the space bar that is going out I'm curious if there is any rattling or anything going on? Based on mralgi's pics from his teardown below there is a post in the middle of the button that would push on the actual button below to put in a space. Does the key wobble at all? or lean to one side? Or feel really "mushy"?
    Attached Thumbnails Complaint to BB Support. Help!-spacebar1.jpg   Complaint to BB Support. Help!-spacebar2.jpg  
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-29-19 11:07 AM
    I think you might be out of luck on the Amazon return period. I believe they only have 30 day policy.

Yeah you're good with your soft reset, if that didn't work, I would go ahead and do the hard reset next (they would do this if you sent it in anyways). If it is indeed the space bar that is going out I'm curious if there is any rattling or anything going on? Based on mralgi's pics from his teardown below there is a post in the middle of the button that would push on the actual button below to put in a space. Does the key wobble at all? or lean to one side? Or feel really "mushy"?
    I did take a look at those posts. Very informative!

The space bar has always felt "loose," although it never bothered me as much as it seems to bother others. It feels the same as it has since the day I got it. It doesn't seem to lean or feel "mushy".
    Do you have any suggestions for apps or programs to restore my phone to its current state (minus the space bar issue, obviously!) after the hard reset? Meaning getting all my apps, settings, and wallpapers back? Ty
    01-29-19 11:29 AM
    I did take a look at those posts. Very informative!

The space bar has always felt "loose," although it never bothered me as much as it seems to bother others. It feels the same as it has since the day I got it. It doesn't seem to lean or feel "mushy".
    Do you have any suggestions for apps or programs to restore my phone to its current state (minus the space bar issue, obviously!) after the hard reset? Meaning getting all my apps, settings, and wallpapers back? Ty
    I believe Google will do the apps part. Technically I believe you could use the BlackBerry Content Transfer app in the play store. Just select it as being your previous device and use the cloud option. It saves contacts, calendar, pictures, video, music, documents, text messages, accounts, notes, and tasks (you can select any combination of these).

The only part I'm not sure that you can save is settings, and not sure your wallpaper would restore either, but it would save the picture so you could set it again.
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-29-19 11:43 AM
    I believe Google will do the apps part. Technically I believe you could use the BlackBerry Content Transfer app in the play store. Just select it as being your previous device and use the cloud option. It saves contacts, calendar, pictures, video, music, documents, text messages, accounts, notes, and tasks (you can select any combination of these).

The only part I'm not sure that you can save is settings, and not sure your wallpaper would restore either, but it would save the picture so you could set it again.
    Thanks so much for all your help! I'm off to do that; I'll report back shortly!
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    01-29-19 12:46 PM
    I'm off to do that; I'll report back shortly!
    Update: no change. *Heavy sigh*
    01-29-19 01:07 PM
    Update: no change. *Heavy sigh*
    Sorry to hear that it was worth a try
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-29-19 01:28 PM
    Hi,

I'll start off by saying this is exactly why I never sent my phone in for repairs. The whole process is such a PITA. It should of been streamlined.

To compare, I had an Samsung Galaxy S8+ that needed repair, 3 months after it was purchased. First of all, no proof of purchase was required.. secondly, they sent ME a unit and gave me 7 days to return the defective s8+ otherwise I'd be on the hook for the replacement unit. NO credit card was ever charged, a small auth charge of $50 or something, I can't remember the exact amount. It was so simple, I opted in for the refurb unit because I needed a phone for music/GPS (my KeyONE wasn't cutting it at the time)..

I don't know why TCL makes it so difficult, cumbersome..

I'm sorry you're going through this OP. but this is the same reason why I'm not sending my phone in. super frustrating.
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-29-19 11:03 PM
    I am among those who published "horror stories" with (old) BB's warranty process for my Classic. [Out of parts (screen) for weeks and then the lost the phone.] Still, I'd be surprised to hear of a large company working on building a reputation, claiming water damage if there was none.
    If you can find a cc with room for a hold, you should be safe. If they don't return your phone, you've got a replacement. If you end up in a dispute with them and you are clearly in the right, the cc will refund any money the company won't return.
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-30-19 05:38 AM
    Last year my S7 got a green line in it..... called Verizon, and had a replacement the next day with a box to send the old one back. Took less than an hour to setup the new phone and box up the old one.

That's why business buy from Carriers.
    01-30-19 08:39 AM
    I have made three warranty repair claims with two different devices (about to be a 4th claim on my third device). The process works and is fine. It may seem elaborate but it really isn't a big deal. If you don't want to have them place a hold on your credit card, then just send it in and wait for it to come back. Of course, that is easier said than done if you don't have multiple phones laying around like me. However, as long as you are detailed with what is wrong and the issue, they seem to be able to fix it. The fingerprint sensor/home button on my Motion was on the fritz and was having issues similar to what you are talking about. At first they said nothing was wrong and sent it back and it was still messed up so I sent it back again and then they fixed it properly. The first time was my KEYone and the screen falling out after 2 weeks; fixed quickly. This time it's my KEY2 LE and the handset speaker. Whenever I call people I can hardly hear them, but when they call me I can hear just fine. It's annoying. Regardless, the process is fine and works. QA issues happen. It's not a ding on them if they fix it. Sure, it's annoying, but this is the same process that other companies seem to use - I did the same thing with Samsung and old BB with my Passport.
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-30-19 01:18 PM
    I have made three warranty repair claims with two different devices (about to be a 4th claim on my third device). The process works....
    Maybe the "complaint" shouldn't be about the warranty process... but the manufacturing process.
    01-30-19 01:45 PM
    Maybe the "complaint" shouldn't be about the warranty process... but the manufacturing process.
    That would be a great topic! Because their QA sucks.
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-30-19 02:21 PM
    That would be a great topic! Because their QA sucks.
    Yeah I've seen people with not issues and that are happy with both their KEYone and KEY2....

Seen others that have sent back devices multiple times...

Biggest reason that TCL Communications lost their battle in China... is poor quality control. Even people buying $100 phones have some expectation of "quality".

Have to assume that what we see here is not representative of the overall BBMo device market...
    Grim_Sleeper likes this.
    01-30-19 02:49 PM
    Thank you all for your anecdotes! They have helped to put my mind at ease a bit. I'm also glad to see I'm not alone in my frustration and disappointment.

I have begun the repair process. I will try to remember to report back here as things progress. Hopefully I can make a record that others may find useful in the future.

Thanks again all!!
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    01-30-19 10:20 PM
    To compare, I had an Samsung Galaxy S8+ that needed repair, 3 months after it was purchased. *snip*

I don't know why TCL makes it so difficult, cumbersome..
    TCL's entire smartphone division, of which BBMo is a part, is quite small and marginally profitable or perhaps losing money. Sales have been way off lately (due to low Alcatel sales - I'm not blaming BBMo for that here!) and they sold half the division to outside investors last year to get the capital to continue operations, and they've recently shuffled the smartphone division to a new parent division. Those aren't exactly signs of a company that's doing well.

Add on to that, they've just built BBMo from the ground up starting 2 years ago, and have to sell and support phones almost worldwide - yet they're selling a couple million phones a year at best. In the world of smartphones, that's significantly less than 1% of the market.

The point is: BBMo is a tiny niche manufacturer, like, say, DeLorean was in the 80s for cars. And just like it wouldn't be remotely reasonable to expect the convenience of service from DeLorean that you would have with Ford or GM, who are 500 times the size and have been in the business for decades, it's not reasonable to expect Samsung convenience with service from TCL.

When you buy a niche product from a niche manufacturer, especially when it is a complex product like a car or a computer or a smartphone, you have to have patience and you have to be ready to jump through some hoops. Otherwise, stick with a mainstream product from your carrier, and you can probably walk into any local corporate carrier store and walk out 10 minutes later with the problem resolved.
    01-31-19 01:43 AM
    When you buy a niche product from a niche manufacturer, especially when it is a complex product like a car or a computer or a smartphone, you have to have patience and you have to be ready to jump through some hoops. Otherwise, stick with a mainstream product from your carrier, and you can probably walk into any local corporate carrier store and walk out 10 minutes later with the problem resolved.
    Really good food for thought!
    01-31-19 09:08 AM

This is even more true for a Enterprise buyer.
    01-31-19 06:28 PM
36 12