Hi gang,

So In Ontario Canada (for some reason) the government decided that all alerts sent out to our phones, regardless of type or priority, will be sent out as a Presidential Alert. This is rather anoying, especially when the alert is not even relevent to a particular area you are in, if the alert is just to tell you a previous alert is finished, or if it's just the same alert again in french.

I was told that you can do the following to disable this (I'm told no root required?):

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver

But I was wondering if there was any side effects to doing so. Does this take out any other kind of functionality to your phone as collateral damage?

EDIT:

Apparently you can't uninstall system packages, so doing "./adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver" seems like the better way to go?
    Last edited by Trenton_net; 06-28-20 at 12:48 PM.
    06-28-20 11:50 AM
    Hi gang,

So In Ontario Canada (for some reason) the government decided that all alerts sent out to our phones, regardless of type or priority, will be sent out as a Presidential Alert. This is rather anoying, especially when the alert is not even relevent to a particular area you are in, if the alert is just to tell you a previous alert is finished, or if it's just in french.
    This is extra funny considering that we don't even have a president
    Rico4you and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-28-20 11:57 AM
    Hi gang,

So In Ontario Canada (for some reason) the government decided that all alerts sent out to our phones, regardless of type or priority, will be sent out as a Presidential Alert. This is rather anoying, especially when the alert is not even relevent to a particular area you are in, if the alert is just to tell you a previous alert is finished, or if it's just the same alert again in french.

I was told that you can do the following to disable this (I'm told no root required?):

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver

But I was wondering if there was any side effects to doing so. Does this take out any other kind of functionality to your phone as collateral damage?

EDIT:

Apparently you can't uninstall system packages, so doing "./adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver" seems like the better way to go?
    Correct, you need to use the disable command. You can disable CellBroadcaster, and if I recall, it will prevent the options from being accessible from the Settings menu (it crashes back to the main menu). But I can't confirm if this will actually prevent reception of the emergency alerts or not.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ethod-1168996/
    06-29-20 08:54 PM