Hi Everyone

Can someone tell me how to re-assign the speed key to open up a different app compared to the originally assigned app that I had it on?

Thanks so much
    Andy
    07-13-18 10:30 PM
    I think you are confused between speed key (9 dots on keyboard) and the convenience key (located on right side of device). I think you mean convenience key. Because it's the one you programme to launch a specific app.

And I think it's as easy as:
    Settings / Gestures / convenience key
    07-14-18 03:18 AM
    Hi Everyone

Can someone tell me how to re-assign the speed key to open up a different app compared to the originally assigned app that I had it on?

Thanks so much
    Andy
    Bump.

I can't figure out how to reassign speedkey shortcuts either.
    07-14-18 01:26 PM
    Bump.

I can't figure out how to reassign speedkey shortcuts either.
    The Speedkey doesn't have shortcuts assigned to it. The keys of your keyboard do. You can change those in Settings.
    All the Speed Key does is allow you to use your keyboard short cuts when in an app. If in the home screen you don't need to use the Speed Key.
    07-14-18 01:39 PM
    Here is something odd though - if you have search enabled instead of short key presses, you can still assign short press speed key shortcuts, but you can't view or edit them - it tells you to disable search to use short press shortcuts, and you can't see what is currently assigned.

I noticed this because I was setting the speed key short press shortcuts to match long press shortcuts, which makes the speed key much...speedier
    Johberry and sibeans like this.
    07-14-18 02:19 PM
    Here is something odd though - if you have search enabled instead of short key presses, you can still assign short press speed key shortcuts, but you can't view or edit them - it tells you to disable search to use short press shortcuts, and you can't see what is currently assigned.

I noticed this because I was setting the speed key short press shortcuts to match long press shortcuts, which makes the speed key much...speedier
    Disabling short press keyboard if you have search enabled makes sense. How is the phone going to "know" whether you want to search or activate an app? It won't. I have search disabled just for that reason. The only way to get around this if some sort of press time length can be set. 1ms for shortcuts and 3ms for search for example.
    The Speed Key is not programmable. Maybe a long press on Speed Key could be used for keyboard search. And short press for keyboard shortcuts. That might work but not for now.
    sibeans likes this.
    07-15-18 06:10 AM
    I've been trying to figure this out too. Changing the long press shortcut in settings doesn't affect the shortcut assigned by the speed key and the chosen key.

Assigned lock device when I first pressed the speed key + T, when I go into keyboard shortcuts in settings, a different action is assigned to T.
    07-17-18 12:34 PM
    I've been trying to figure this out too. Changing the long press shortcut in settings doesn't affect the shortcut assigned by the speed key and the chosen key.

Assigned lock device when I first pressed the speed key + T, when I go into keyboard shortcuts in settings, a different action is assigned to T.
    Bump on this. I can't for the life of me CHANGE the assignment of a speed key once it has been assigned. Behaviour is exactly as described by the quote above.
    09-07-18 08:42 AM
    The Speedkey is not assigned to any shortcuts. It just allows opening the KEYBOARD assigned shortcuts to be opened when your in another opened app.
    Maybe in the future the Speedkey will be assignable, but not now.
    09-07-18 09:01 AM
    The Speedkey is not assigned to any shortcuts. It just allows opening the KEYBOARD assigned shortcuts to be opened when your in another opened app.
    Maybe in the future the Speedkey will be assignable, but not now.
    Sorry, this is what I mean.

I want to change SpeedKey+V from what it is currently programmed to, to something else. Unable to figure how to do so.
    09-07-18 09:05 AM
    Sorry, this is what I mean.

I want to change SpeedKey+V from what it is currently programmed to, to something else. Unable to figure how to do so.
    All you want to do is change what V is assigned to. Go into setting, Shortcuts and Gestures, then Keyboard Shortcuts.
    You do know you don't need to use the Speedkey to use your keyboard shortcuts, unless you are in an opened app...right?
    09-07-18 09:14 AM
    All you want to do is change what V is assigned to. Go into setting, Shortcuts and Gestures, then Keyboard Shortcuts.
    You do know you don't need to use the Speedkey to use your keyboard shortcuts, unless you are in an opened app...right?
    Yep I know.

And this does not change speedkey+V, only my long press shortcut (same behaviour as described by @sibeans).

Try it yourself!
    09-07-18 10:13 AM
    Yep I know.

And this does not change speedkey+V, only my long press shortcut (same behaviour as described by @sibeans).

Try it yourself!
    I changed one of my long press shortcut keys to a different app. Then I used Speedkey plus the long press shortcut and it worked. The newly assigned app opened up. No problem.
    09-07-18 10:51 AM
    I changed one of my long press shortcut keys to a different app. Then I used Speedkey plus the long press shortcut and it worked. The newly assigned app opened up. No problem.
    Somehow we seem to be getting different behaviours.

I assigned a new key (speedkey+c) to calculator. When I go into shortcuts, longpress for C is set to "compose new email".

If I longpress C on home screen it prompts to compose an email. If I speedkey+c it opens calculator.

My short press shortcuts are not enabled (I have short press set to type-to-search)
    09-07-18 01:21 PM
    Somehow we seem to be getting different behaviours.

I assigned a new key (speedkey+c) to calculator. When I go into shortcuts, longpress for C is set to "compose new email".

If I longpress C on home screen it prompts to compose an email. If I speedkey+c it opens calculator.

My short press shortcuts are not enabled (I have short press set to type-to-search)
    Something is weird with your setup. How do you setup your shortcuts? Do you go through Setting or do you long press a blank area of your home screen and go to settings from there?
    09-07-18 01:27 PM
    how about if you try to disable the search and have both long press and short press shortcuts set it up the way you want to and then enable the search option when you have the shortcuts in the order you like.
    09-07-18 01:35 PM
    Something is weird with your setup. How do you setup your shortcuts? Do you go through Setting or do you long press a blank area of your home screen and go to settings from there?
    For a long press shortcut, I either long press an unassigned key from the home screen which pops up the shortcut assignment prompt, or go through settings > shortcuts & gestures.

For speedkey shortcuts, I just speedkey+(key) an unassigned key, which also brings up a shortcut assignment prompt.

Now that I look closer, the prompts are slightly different. Here is a test using unassigned "G"

Long press G from home screen:

Changing what app speed key is assigned to-screenshot_20180907-185049.jpg

And here's speedkey+G:

Changing what app speed key is assigned to-screenshot_20180907-185058.jpg

Will keep trying solutions such as the one suggested by the poster above.
    09-07-18 04:56 PM
    For a long press shortcut, I either long press an unassigned key from the home screen which pops up the shortcut assignment prompt, or go through settings > shortcuts & gestures.

For speedkey shortcuts, I just speedkey+(key) an unassigned key, which also brings up a shortcut assignment prompt.

Now that I look closer, the prompts are slightly different. Here is a test using unassigned "G"

Long press G from home screen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180907-185049.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	439821

And here's speedkey+G:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180907-185058.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	439822

Will keep trying solutions such as the one suggested by the poster above.
    I just tried using the Speed key to create a long press shortcut both while in the home screen and within an open app. I did this by long pressing an unassigned key. See screen shot. Same results. Unless you want to create a shortcut while within an open app pressing the Speed key is unnecessary. Why bother to do it?
    09-09-18 05:56 AM
    I think your using the speed key wrong! You don't need to press to assign a short cut. When you are in crackberry app and want to go to Facebook without going to the home screen you press and hold the speed key and what ever key you have already (previously) assigned to open Facebook. When you set up your shortcuts be it long press or short press. but if you are use short press for search only your long press shortcuts will be active. So when you want to jump from app to app without going to the home screen you use both keys. no need to set up short cuts using speed key
    09-09-18 09:41 PM
    I think your using the speed key wrong! You don't need to press to assign a short cut. When you are in crackberry app and want to go to Facebook without going to the home screen you press and hold the speed key and what ever key you have already (previously) assigned to open Facebook. When you set up your shortcuts be it long press or short press. but if you are use short press for search only your long press shortcuts will be active. So when you want to jump from app to app without going to the home screen you use both keys. no need to set up short cuts using speed key
    Exactly. I don't think the original poster understands the single function of the Speed Key.
    09-10-18 05:45 AM
    The fact that you CAN assign a shortcut this way (speedkey+unassigned key) probably means it was intended to be able to do so, no?

In any case, it appears that me having done so has caused this assignment to be stored somewhere other than the longpress shortcut settings screen.
    09-10-18 12:29 PM
    The fact that you CAN assign a shortcut this way (speedkey+unassigned key) probably means it was intended to be able to do so, no?

In any case, it appears that me having done so has caused this assignment to be stored somewhere other than the longpress shortcut settings screen.
    Maybe @Bla1ze can do a video to show how to set up shortcuts and how to use the speed key. And if that doesn't help maybe reseting the phone and setting up as new will.
    09-10-18 12:42 PM
    Okay, I figured this out. @Egonzalez1978 and @sclitheroe were circling it.

First of all, I did not realize that you can have different shortcuts for short and long presses using the speed key (I knew you could set it like this for homescreen, but did not realize same thing for speed key).

Second of all, indeed, you cannot get to the shortpress settings via Settings>Shortcuts&Gestures if you have shortpress set to type-to-search .. and it turns out that *this* is where the shortcuts I have been using with my speed key have been hiding. So I do have to go into BB Launcher settings and change shortpress function to shortcut, rather than search, in order to change them for the speedkey (however you can assign a shortpress using speedkey+shortpress using an unassigned key).

Now, I will go through and match my short press and long press shortcuts, then re-enable search. That way my device will work as I have been intending: have type-to-search on home screen, longpress a key from homescreen to access shortcut, or speedkey+key from within an app to do the same thing that longpress on homescreen would do.

@akular1 / @Johberry / @Smokeaire this may be relevant for you.
    Last edited by bsommerhalder; 09-10-18 at 01:35 PM.
    09-10-18 01:23 PM

First of all, I did not realize that you can have different shortcuts for short and long presses using the speed key (I knew you could set it like this for homescreen, but did not realize same thing for speed key).

Second of all, indeed, you cannot get to the shortpress settings via Settings>Shortcuts&Gestures if you have shortpress set to type-to-search .. and it turns out that *this* is where the shortcuts I have been using with my speed key have been hiding. So I do have to go into BB Launcher settings and change shortpress function to shortcut, rather than search, in order to change them for the speedkey.

Now, I will go through and match my short press and long press shortcuts, then re-enable search. That way my device will work as I have been intending: have type-to-search on home screen, longpress a key from homescreen to access shortcut, or speedkey+key from within an app to do the same thing that longpress on homescreen would do.

Glad you figured it out.
    09-10-18 01:29 PM

Second of all, indeed, you cannot get to the shortpress settings via Settings>Shortcuts&Gestures if you have shortpress set to type-to-search .. and it turns out that *this* is where the shortcuts I have been using with my speed key have been hiding. So I do have to go into BB Launcher settings and change shortpress function to shortcut, rather than search, in order to change them for the speedkey.

Even though it isn't relevant to my needs I'm glad you're finally good with your solution.
    09-10-18 01:31 PM
28 12