Last edited by the_boon; 08-07-18 at 11:06 AM.
    08-07-18 10:16 AM
    Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to watching when I get home ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    08-07-18 10:21 AM
    I can already tell it’s very positive review without watching. Great review!
    08-07-18 10:27 AM
    I can tell too.

CBK vids are up-you_scratch_my_back_ill_scratch_your_record.png
    08-07-18 11:02 AM
    I forgot to add the drop test one.

Wow.
    I mean, yeah it fell on a thin carpet, but that was like a 15 foot drop or so

Impressive!
    08-07-18 11:09 AM
    is the aluminium 7000 series key2 frame more damage resistant than the keyone aluminum frame??
    08-07-18 12:08 PM
    is the aluminium 7000 series key2 frame more damage resistant than the keyone aluminum frame??
    The general idea is that it makes the phone lighter without compromising strength. One would need a lot more detail to compare the two as to thickness as well.
    08-07-18 01:14 PM
    You're the astute one here . The 3rd video focusing on the keyboard actually makes some great points. Really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 08-07-18 at 01:47 PM.
    08-07-18 01:27 PM
    You're the astute one here . The 3rd video focusing on the keyboard actually makes some great points. Really enjoyed it.
    Yeah man, honestly I just don't get the hate surrounding a PKB on a modern smartphone.

Here is a breakdown of overall market's reaction to physical keyboards in 2018

- A PC with a physical keyboard?
    "Of course! It's been this way since the very beginning. Since the typewriter."

- A laptop with a physical keyboard?
    "Sure, the very first laptops have been this way. Matter of fact, Apple's newer thin MacBooks don't have good key travel, which people for sure have complained about."

- A tablet with a physical keyboard attachment?
    "Sure! It adds functionality to it, making it more versatile."

- Well how about a smartphone with a physical keyboard?
    "OMFG WTF THIS IS 2018 WHAT IS THIS ******* DINOSAUR TECHNOLOGY, SCREEN REAL ESTATE SO ******** SMALL EVERYBODY ELSE IS GOING BEZEL-LESS ****** AAAARRRGHHHH"
    08-07-18 02:29 PM
    Yeah man, honestly I just don't get the hate surrounding a PKB on a modern smartphone.

"Sure, the very first laptops have been this way. Matter of fact, Apple's newer thin MacBooks don't have good key travel, which people for sure have complained about."

"OMFG WTF THIS IS 2018 WHAT IS THIS ******* DINOSAUR TECHNOLOGY, SCREEN REAL ESTATE ****** 3:2 ASPECT RATIO SO SMALL AAAARRRGHHHH"
    It's all about the scale....

I know with my Surface the keyboard doesn't reduce the screen size in any way. On a smartphone a PKB requires a user to "sacrifice" some of their viewing experience for a typing experience. For most that sacrifice isn't worth it.... sorry if you don't get that, but 99.95% of people figured that out long ago. Thus most people are going to see those that choose to stick with old input method as outdated.

Don't let it bother you.
    08-07-18 02:47 PM

"OMFG WTF THIS IS 2018 WHAT IS THIS ******* DINOSAUR TECHNOLOGY, SCREEN REAL ESTATE SO ******** SMALL EVERYBODY ELSE IS GOING BEZEL-LESS ****** AAAARRRGHHHH"
    LMAO... so true....
    08-07-18 02:48 PM
    TCL's check must have cleared...
    anon(2695703) and Al moon like this.
    08-07-18 02:57 PM

I know with my Surface the keyboard doesn't reduce the screen size in any way. On a smartphone a PKB requires a user to "sacrifice" some of their viewing experience for a typing experience. For most that sacrifice isn't worth it.... sorry if you don't get that, but 99.95% of people figured that out long ago. Thus most people are going to see those that choose to stick with old input method as outdated.

Don't let it bother you.
    Here's the thing, back a few years ago when PKB's were still dominant, OEM's didn't have the technology to provide somewhat bezel-less displays with high screen to body ratio. Screens were small, plasticky and dull.
    Today, a PKB phone the size of K1/K2 can have up to 4.7 or so screen size, if they reduce the top bezel even further and incorporate the nav keys in the display itself. It can also be OLED for added vibrance. If KEY3 brings that, there should be a lot less whining about screen space.
    08-07-18 03:07 PM
    Here's the thing, back a few years ago when PKB's were still dominant, OEM's didn't have the technology to provide somewhat bezel-less displays with high screen to body ratio. Screens were small, plasticky and dull.
    Today, a PKB phone the size of K1/K2 can have up to 4.7 or so screen size, if they reduce the top bezel even further and incorporate the nav keys in the display itself. It can also be OLED for added vibrance. If KEY3 brings that, there should be a lot less whining about screen space.
    Why do people want bezel less phones?

I don't care how big you make the display... a dedicated PKB is always going to take up screen space. Until it can fold up into the form factor like on a laptop or tablet.

I'm glad there is still an option to buy a PKB, but I understand is has a very limited appeal.
    Dino84 likes this.
    08-07-18 03:35 PM

I don't care how big you make the display... a dedicated PKB is always going to take up screen space.
    This is when someone comes in and begs for a Priv 2
    08-07-18 03:42 PM
    TCL's check must have cleared...
    And now the NSA's.
    08-07-18 04:43 PM
    Why do people want bezel less phones?
    It's simple, a larger screen in a smaller (or equal) footprint. The Galaxy S8 is almost exactly the same total size as the Galaxy S7 but has almost 20% more screen area. Same for the iPhone, except the increase in screen size from the iPhone 8 to X is nearly 40%.

This is when someone comes in and begs for a Priv 2
    One of the Priv's many flaws was being unwieldy. If they could fit the same size screen into a smaller footprint with thin bezels that would be very enticing.
    casscowgirl likes this.
    08-07-18 05:05 PM
    I'm glad that Kevin didn't just read the spec sheet; covering what makes the key2 unique is well appreciated.

And that drop test!
    08-07-18 05:43 PM
    It's simple, a larger screen in a smaller (or equal) footprint. The Galaxy S8 is almost exactly the same total size as the Galaxy S7 but has almost 20% more screen area. Same for the iPhone, except the increase in screen size from the iPhone 8 to X is nearly 40%.

One of the Priv's many flaws was being unwieldy. If they could fit the same size screen into a smaller footprint with thin bezels that would be very enticing.
    What would happen if you threw a bezel-less phone off a balcony?
    08-07-18 05:51 PM
    What would happen if you threw a bezel-less phone off a balcony?
    Probably the same that would happen if you threw a curved-screen phone off a balcony.
    08-07-18 05:53 PM
    Probably the same that would happen if you threw a curved-screen phone off a balcony.
    I'm of course referring to the video above.
    08-07-18 05:55 PM
    I see what he did there with the thumbnail on the Survival video.
    Nice!
    08-08-18 01:47 AM

Don't let it bother you.
    This isn't 2007 when steve jobs came out dissing the small screens. The screen on the key1/key2 is perfect as is for social media use. The keyboard isn't sacrificing any experience. It made sense when apple came out, because the keyboard was infact a hinderance to tiny screen. But now it's its reversed. You get the screen size for social media, and the real keyboard for that premium feel, accuracy and customisation. Those on the slabs are stuck with the screen, they have no option when it comes to going for the superior typing experience/features when they had their fix of social media. But people don't realise that. They just go by marketing and trends. And john chen/blackberry mobile are missing out on something huge by not pouring money into marketing/ trying to get carrier support.
    08-08-18 02:44 AM
    This isn't 2007 when steve jobs came out dissing the small screens. The screen on the key1/key2 is perfect as is for social media use. The keyboard isn't sacrificing any experience. It made sense when apple came out, because the keyboard was infact a hinderance to tiny screen. But now it's its reversed. You get the screen size for social media, and the real keyboard for that premium feel, accuracy and customisation. Those on the slabs are stuck with the screen, they have no option when it comes to going for the superior typing experience/features when they had their fix of social media. But people don't realise that. They just go by marketing and trends. And john chen/blackberry mobile are missing out on something huge by not pouring money into marketing/ trying to get carrier support.
    Keyboard is a distraction when you watch videos, the backlit is always on when you just touch it. It is very annoying when watching videos at night.
    08-08-18 03:14 AM
    Keyboard is a distraction when you watch videos, the backlit is always on when you just touch it. It is very annoying when watching videos at night.
    A software update can fix this. And besides, how often are you interacting with the keyboard when watching a video? Usually in less than 10 seconds of not touching anything, the backlighting turns off.
    08-08-18 03:42 AM
59 123