I am on AT$T and have serious calling issues. This happens mostly at home, but happens elsewhere too.

My K2 gets strong 4G LTE signal, and I can surf the internet with ease at high speeds.

All of that ends if I try to make a phone call. As soon as I dial a number and press SEND, the signal strength drops to zero and the phone eventually disconnects.

Similar thing happens if I call the phone from a different phone. The signal strength will be strong, but the call will go straight to voicemail.

I dont understand this at all. I am on AT&T and I use T-Mobile for work. I have 3 other At&t phones in the house and all of them send and receive calls with no problem (including old BB phones like my Passport). Funny enough, T-Mobile sim card works with no problem.

Anyway, I don’t see many other (or any other) complaints similar to this. I have exchanged my K2 three times and have spent countless hours on the phone with AT$T trying to solve this.

Anyone have similar experiences? Better yet, anyone have solutions?

Thanks!
    09-19-18 08:55 PM
    I know this sounds odd, but have you called at&t and formally registered the phone with them?
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-20-18 03:13 AM
    From others I've heard VoLTE isn't supported for either the KEYᵒⁿᵉ or KEY² on AT$T (LoL). BTW, I'm on T-Mobile as well using a KEYᵒⁿᵉ and this never happens to me.

You can have strong 4GLTE signal and without VoLTE if the 3G or regular 4G signal is very weak this could happen. Not sure this is the case but it would make sense.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-20-18 03:28 AM
    09-20-18 07:30 AM
    From others I've heard VoLTE isn't supported for either the KEYᵒⁿᵉ or KEY² on AT$T (LoL). BTW, I'm on T-Mobile as well using a KEYᵒⁿᵉ and this never happens to me.

You can have strong 4GLTE signal and without VoLTE if the 3G or regular 4G signal is very weak this could happen. Not sure this is the case but it would make sense.
    Several have reported this being an issue with ATT... usually more inside of buildings where LTE has better penetration than 3G does. And with you not having WiFi Calling either, you just loose signal.

KEYone did have VoLTE, but not WiFi Calling... but then ATT also sold KEYones. Who knows if something might change in the future. For now, T-Mobile is really the only US carrier that I'd bother using the KEY2 on...
    09-20-18 07:46 AM
    Thank you all for your replies.

I called AT&T before I posted and asked if VoLTE is supported on the Key2 and was told yes. I also see that it is supported by dialing *#*#46368676#*#* and checking phone info.

So in spite of this, it sounds like the community conclusion is that AT&T does not support VoLTE. And no VoLTE means no voice calling unless I can get a 3G or 4G signal?

This was not an issue when I first got this phone. I had no calling issues indoors. Makes me wonder if VoLTE capability was removed by AT$T at some point.

Is this a BlackBerry thing or an AT$T thing? Also, is there a way to force the phone to not use VoLTE?

Should there be a public service announcement that AT$T does not fully support this phone? I would not have bought it if I knew that it would not work.
    09-20-18 07:16 PM

I called AT&T before I posted and asked if VoLTE is supported on the Key2 and was told yes. I also see that it is supported by dialing *#*#46368676#*#* and checking phone info.

So in spite of this, it sounds like the community conclusion is that AT&T does not support VoLTE. And no VoLTE means no voice calling unless I can get a 3G or 4G signal?

This was not an issue when I first got this phone. I had no calling issues indoors. Makes me wonder if VoLTE capability was removed by AT$T at some point.

Is this a BlackBerry thing or an AT$T thing? Also, is there a way to force the phone to not use VoLTE?

Should there be a public service announcement that AT$T does not fully support this phone? I would not have bought it if I knew that it would not work.
    I'm using an unlocked silver Key2 on ATT in the US and I have zero calling issues. I've used the phone in many other countries as well with no issues. I popped the sim out of my iPhone X and slammed it in the Key2, without formally registering the Key2 with ATT (I don't recommend formally registering unlocked BYOD phones with ATT. I've found that sometimes you will drop from 4G LTE to just 4G.) I've always found it better to just insert the already activated 4G LTE sim into the new phone and calling it a day. If I hear of or experience any of your issues, I'll loop back to this post.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-21-18 05:17 PM

Just curious -- where are you located? Thanks.
    09-22-18 12:02 PM
    I'm using an unlocked silver Key2 on ATT in the US and I have zero calling issues. I've used the phone in many other countries as well with no issues. I popped the sim out of my iPhone X and slammed it in the Key2, without formally registering the Key2 with ATT (I don't recommend formally registering unlocked BYOD phones with ATT. I've found that sometimes you will drop from 4G LTE to just 4G.) I've always found it better to just insert the already activated 4G LTE sim into the new phone and calling it a day. If I hear of or experience any of your issues, I'll loop back to this post.
    Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking -- where are you located? Thanks. Also, regarding not registering the device, is there any way to verify that you drop from one level of service to another? Is the carrier doing this? Thanks.
    09-22-18 03:30 PM
    i also transferred my sim directly from an AT$T phone. Seemed to work fine for a few weeks and then out of nowhere problems arose with my voice service.

i am in NYC.
    09-22-18 03:49 PM
    Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking -- where are you located? Thanks. Also, regarding not registering the device, is there any way to verify that you drop from one level of service to another? Is the carrier doing this? Thanks.
    You bet. I'm in Texas just a hair north of Fort Worth. Whenever I've officially registered a factory unlocked BlackBerry with ATT and they update my IMEI, the data status indicator at the top of the phone never gets 4G LTE, or lights it up at least. When I just transfer 4G LTE activated sim, which has been activated on a ATT branded phone, the factory unlocked BlackBerry will light up full 4G LTE. Not sure why it happens.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-23-18 10:48 AM
    i also transferred my sim directly from an AT$T phone. Seemed to work fine for a few weeks and then out of nowhere problems arose with my voice service.

i am in NYC.
    Why type of problems are you having with your voice service and are they happening when you're inside a building or outside - or both?
    09-23-18 10:58 AM
    Enhanced features aren’t entitled on factory unlocked devices.
    You bet. I'm in Texas just a hair north of Fort Worth. Whenever I've officially registered a factory unlocked BlackBerry with ATT and they update my IMEI, the data status indicator at the top of the phone never gets 4G LTE, or lights it up at least. When I just transfer 4G LTE activated sim, which has been activated on a ATT branded phone, the factory unlocked BlackBerry will light up full 4G LTE. Not sure why it happens.
    09-23-18 12:02 PM
    Enhanced features aren’t entitled on factory unlocked devices.
    Correct. I'm talking about getting a 4G signal vs. getting full 4G LTE. Not VoLTE or anything else.
    09-23-18 12:05 PM
    I still believe something going on there. With Oreo upgrade on AT&T KEYone, I’ve lost VoLTE according to AT&T CSR tech yesterday.
    09-23-18 12:08 PM
    I still believe something going on there. With Oreo upgrade on AT&T KEYone, I’ve lost VoLTE according to AT&T CSR tech yesterday.
    Which is strange... I'm thinking that BBMo/BlackBerry has "something" amiss in the update, and maybe will be able to patch it and get the service working again for AT&T and T-Mobile customers... that once had this service.

If something (another round of certifications) about OREO breaks this, and they (AT&T or BBMo) knew it. They should have informed users and maybe not even offered the update... officially.
    09-24-18 09:02 AM
    Wouldn’t really matter. AT&T concedes that going forward and since beginning of year, not even all carrier sold hardware will support enhanced WFC or VoLTE.
    Which is strange... I'm thinking that BBMo/BlackBerry has "something" amiss in the update, and maybe will be able to patch it and get the service working again for AT&T and T-Mobile customers... that once had this service.

If something (another round of certifications) about OREO breaks this, and they (AT&T or BBMo) knew it. They should have informed users and maybe not even offered the update... officially.
    09-24-18 09:24 AM
    I can confirm this is the case with ATT activation. If the IMEI is not in their system, they will not provision LTE. Get a friend's phone (ATT branded) and give them that IMEI to you can get LTE back on your SIM. They don't care. Been using BBQ10 with ATT prepaid with a store Note 5 IMEI for many years.

Posted via CB10
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-24-18 09:11 PM
    I'm a bit confused by this thread. (I'm on an unlocked Passport and seem to regularly have LTE service. I don't know about WiFi calling since I don't use it.) I was hoping to get a Key2 later this year.

Is thread saying that an unlocked Key2 on ATT won't be fully supported? I'm not concerned about WiFi calling, but I definitely want to know if there are other issues.

Posted via CB10
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    09-25-18 01:16 PM
    I'm a bit confused by this thread. (I'm on an unlocked Passport and seem to regularly have LTE service. I don't know about WiFi calling since I don't use it.) I was hoping to get a Key2 later this year.

Is thread saying that an unlocked Key2 on ATT won't be fully supported? I'm not concerned about WiFi calling, but I definitely want to know if there are other issues.

Posted via CB10
    You’ll have all the basic services that you’ve always enjoyed. Enhanced calling features is what’s lacking. Two well known features are WFC and VoLTE.
    Tech Idiot and HershL like this.
    09-25-18 01:29 PM
    You’ll have all the basic services that you’ve always enjoyed. Enhanced calling features is what’s lacking. Two well known features are WFC and VoLTE.
    And with 3G suppose to be phased out at the end of 2019... not sure you want a phone that carrier's don't support VoLTE.

I assume that AT&T will be more cooperative at some point, but that's just an assumption.
    Tech Idiot and HershL like this.
    09-25-18 01:50 PM
    So when 3G goes away -- if nothing else changes -- then, technically, an unlocked Key2, registered to ATT/BYOD, might not be able to make and/or receive calls at all? Thanks.
    09-25-18 09:19 PM
    So when 3G goes away -- if nothing else changes -- then, technically, an unlocked Key2, registered to ATT/BYOD, might not be able to make and/or receive calls at all? Thanks.
    Uncertain. Carrier locked would still have to have access or it wouldn’t be a phone...
    HershL likes this.
    09-25-18 10:36 PM
    Uncertain. Carrier locked would still have to have access or it wouldn’t be a phone...

I know AT&T sold the KEYone, but not sure even they know that. One would assume that before they pull 3G coverage that they'd add VoLTE service. Just as likely that they offer you a $200 discount on upgrading. Which at the end of 2020 that SD625 will be showing it's age...

But at that point, to maintain any pretense at BYOD... they'll have to open VoLTE up to other devices. Or consumers will be back to asked legislators to do it for them again.
    HershL likes this.
    09-26-18 11:58 AM
    This seems to muddy the waters a bit, I think, in terms of deciding to get one.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-18 07:46 AM
28 12