Hi. I am in the UK and have a Key 2. Have received several e-mails saying that effective 4 January 2022 will be ending their service. Can someone please tell me if this applies to Key 2 and Key 2 LE phones. Thank you
    12-08-21 02:48 PM
    Since you still have 2g and 3g network in UK, no.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-21 03:48 PM
    We have 4G and 5G is currently being connected in some places. So I have no reason to panic at this stage? I really don’t want to have to give up my Blackberry😩
    12-08-21 03:58 PM
    We have 4G and 5G is currently being connected in some places. So I have no reason to panic at this stage? I really don’t want to have to give up my Blackberry😩
    12-08-21 04:14 PM
    Hi. I am in the UK and have a Key 2. Have received several e-mails saying that effective 4 January 2022 will be ending their service. Can someone please tell me if this applies to Key 2 and Key 2 LE phones. Thank you
    The services that are ending are the BlackBerry back-end services for BlackBerry 10, BIS/BES for legacy BlackBerry OS 7.1 and older, BBID and related BlackBerry Protect used by those devices.

Your Key 2 is an Android based device and not affected by the Jan 4 services shutdown. The carrier apparently can't distinguish between the two and lumped you in with all other BlackBerry users regardless of actual device.

BlackBerry does make that distinction in their own official notice about it. It's a shame your carrier couldn't do it.

Since you still have 2g and 3g network in UK, no.

Posted via CB10
    That's not what this particular announcement is about.
    Trouveur likes this.
    12-08-21 04:51 PM

That's not what this particular announcement is about.
    But it is more important than servers shutdown for Key2 users.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-21 06:47 PM
    But it is more important than servers shutdown for Key2 users.

Posted via CB10
    The 3G shutdown and it's affect on the Key 2 is generally a US carrier issue, specifically AT&T. They are "certifying" devices to use on their VoLTE network.

That's not such an issue in the rest of the world. Pretty much every one else will have no problem with VoLTE on the Key 2

Unless someone here knows something different.
    Trouveur likes this.
    12-08-21 07:35 PM
    The 3G shutdown and it's affect on the Key 2 is generally a US carrier issue, specifically AT&T. They are "certifying" devices to use on their VoLTE network.

That's not such an issue in the rest of the world. Pretty much every one else will have no problem with VoLTE on the Key 2

Unless someone here knows something different.
    Unless and until 2G is shut down together with 3G (as it happens in the US, or it already did with ATT shutting down 2G back in 2017) the phone can fall back on 2G for calls even if the carrier in question does not support the phone for VoLTE. In Europe to my knowledge only Switzerland shuts down 2G together with 3G.
    12-09-21 05:18 AM
    Unless and until 2G is shut down together with 3G (as it happens in the US, or it already did with ATT shutting down 2G back in 2017) the phone can fall back on 2G for calls even if the carrier in question does not support the phone for VoLTE. In Europe to my knowledge only Switzerland shuts down 2G together with 3G.
    That's true. Although as 3G and 2G networks continue to be refarmed to 5G, service will degrade rather swiftly over time.
    12-09-21 07:43 AM
    European carriers are starting their 5G deployments, and many countries have already announced official shut down dates for 3G, but like with any other carrier, they'll move some cells over to 5G and shut off 3G long before the official cut-off date. Thus, folks will start to see holes in their coverage eventually, which will highly motivate them to migrate to a 5G phone. The US is just ahead of that curve, but it's coming soon to your country too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-12-21 03:14 AM
    European carriers are starting their 5G deployments, and many countries have already announced official shut down dates for 3G, but like with any other carrier, they'll move some cells over to 5G and shut off 3G long before the official cut-off date. Thus, folks will start to see holes in their coverage eventually, which will highly motivate them to migrate to a 5G phone. The US is just ahead of that curve, but it's coming soon to your country too.
    I dont have a BlackBerry at all, so I am not affected by Key2 being usable or not.
    What you write is true, because for my carrier H2 2022 is the announced cut off date of 3G, but where I live they started switching it off last month or so. One phone I have which has no VoLTE support for the carrier in question, now falls back to 2G for phone calls, with the known horrible sound quality 2G provides . This is only a spare phone, so I am not affected directly by it.
    12-12-21 04:28 AM
    I'm following all this closely and confused. If I migrate to Blackberry Key2, will it still be supported in the U.S. on T-Mobile?
    12-21-21 02:46 PM
    I'm following all this closely and confused. If I migrate to Blackberry Key2, will it still be supported in the U.S. on T-Mobile?
    As an LTE only phone, so only partially. All the focus now is on disassembly of their 3G network to help expand their existing 5G network with additional bandwidth. In the end it will just depend on where you live and how good T-Mobile's extend range LTE is where you live, work and travel. For some it will be fine, for other it will be less than adequate.

But your stuck on a OS from 2017 that has seen it's last security patch... I suspect August will see the end of BBMo warranty requirements in the EU (USA they have no more responsibility to users) and the end of BlackBerry support for the KEY2 Apps. Migration at this point in the KEY2 life cycle... fine as long as you are aware of where things stand and the extra efforts and limitations you might want to place on it's use.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-21 04:19 PM
    Yes and no. With 3G shutdown, AT&T won’t support the Key2 on VoLTE and T-Mobile is assumed to support almost everything on VoLTE but yet it doesn’t and published it’s own approved IMEI and model list.

Even then, any device without 5G capabilities isn’t going to be optimal 4G-LTE only when it’s 3G capabilities are lost and migrated to 5G capable devices instead.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-21 04:20 PM
    Thanks for the sobering clarification, @Chuck Finley69. I hadn't considered the impact that losing 3g would have. Looking into it, if this T-Mobile statement still holds true, it looks like users get a seven-month reprieve: " As of July 1, 2022 T-Mobile’s older 3G UMTS network will be retired." And maybe, just maybe, somebody will fulfill our qwerty dreams during that time...
    12-21-21 05:13 PM
    And maybe, just maybe, somebody will fulfill our qwerty dreams during that time...
    "Somebody" seems alot more likely than "OnwardMobility" at this point lol
    12-22-21 10:01 AM
    Isn't Unihertz " somebody"?

But I get it, what most want is a somebody that is going to offer a product that carrier's will fully support and they doesn't make one question the safety of their data - either due to who the company is or how long they'll support the device.
    12-22-21 10:06 AM
    Unfortunately, that seems to be “Nobody” if people aren’t happy with current options now. I’m no fan of Unihertz but as usual, beggars can’t be choosers.
    Trouveur likes this.
    12-22-21 10:08 AM
    How long before 6g ?
    12-22-21 11:57 AM
    How long before 6g ?
    The plan is 2030....
    12-22-21 12:09 PM