Bought a Blackberry key2 on 2019, Wishing to keep the phone until my college gets over for the next 4 years, Is it possible to have the phone without lag I use only social medias
    04-24-20 01:19 PM
    Bought a Blackberry key2 on 2019, Wishing to keep the phone until my college gets over for the next 4 years, Is it possible to have the phone without lag I use only social medias
    No one can give you a real answer there. It would just be a guess. Devices age over time, things get slower, app updates get larger, etc etc.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-24-20 05:15 PM
    Apps will get larger, minimum OS versions will rise, old encryptions and communication standards will be replaced, cellular bands will change, and on and on.

Mobile phones are designed around the idea of 2 years of "prime time" use (from the date the device was initially released), and up to 5 years of total usefulness. After that, manufacturers simply don't worry about, because too many things change over that amount of time - things that the manufacturers simply don't have control over.

The K2 is almost 2 years old already. You might get through another 4 years and you might not. 2 years from now, a key app may run slowly, or not work at all. That app may be something that you care about that most other people don't, but if it's important to you, that's all that matters to you.

No one can say for sure what's going to happen, but it's generally not a smart assumption that a phone will be 100% useful more than 3 years from initial release, even though some make it to 4 or 5 years for some people (with limitations that some can work around). Only you can decide what will and what won't work for you.
    04-24-20 07:01 PM
    If lag is a real issue for you the only way to really avoid it is to replace your device every two years, and and perhaps give it an os reload every year. Be smart in how you use it to maximize memory and network bandwidth.

If the publishers of your favorite apps keep offering Oreo support over the years then your phone would still be useful, but most certainly you would experience what you would call lag of some kind.
    04-26-20 09:51 AM
    My short answer would be NO based on my experience with my Priv, KEYone and DTEK5O. Since the security and OS updates stopped, the devices have slowed to a crawl. Even with a clean wipe, they just don't work well at all.

I don't know exactly why this happens, but it does. Your KEY2 will probably be OK for another 6 to 12 months.
    04-26-20 08:34 PM
    My short answer would be NO based on my experience with my Priv, KEYone and DTEK5O. Since the security and OS updates stopped, the devices have slowed to a crawl. Even with a clean wipe, they just don't work well at all.

I don't know exactly why this happens, but it does. Your KEY2 will probably be OK for another 6 to 12 months.
    I simply don't know what you're talking about. All of my BlackBerry Android devices work at least as well/quickly as they did on the first day.
    04-26-20 08:36 PM
    I simply don't know what you're talking about. All of my BlackBerry Android devices work at least as well/quickly as they did on the first day.
    Well, that's my experience. It's no secret that these forums are full of posts about the KEYone and Priv slowing down shortly into their life cycles.
    04-26-20 08:44 PM
    My Passport only "stopped working" when most of my local towers switched to 4G and BB10 os couldn't keep up. My KEYone is currently dying on the battery front, but generally pretty good otherwise - I've had 3 years of really really tough use out of it. I really want the Key2 next, but I'm worried it will become obsolete too quickly.
    04-26-20 08:44 PM
    Mine as well. Very odd comment. I wiped my DTEK50 and gave it to my friend for his daughter 's first device. He is an iPhone 7 user (Apple has replaced his device twice now as Wi-Fi and the radios just up and quit.) He said he can't believe how well the 617 works on BlackBerry 's simplistic take on Android. That DTEK is now on its fourth user. 😉😎
    04-27-20 01:38 AM
    Unless a device is thermal-throttling, or is underclocked via software (like, say, Apple did with iPhones), or the storage is degrading significantly, then it's not going to run any slower 5 years later than it did the first day. What DOES change is software.

Look at an app like Google Maps or Facebook - do you think modern versions need more resources than 5 years ago? Of COURSE - lots more features have been added over the years, and more encryption and security. That means those apps may run slower today than the 5 year old version did 5 years ago on the same device, but that's because the apps have changed in major ways over the years. The phone isn't slower, the apps are just bigger and more complex and need more CPU power to run at the same speed.

That's why phones "slow down."
    Laura Knotek and DOCTOREVIL8 like this.
    04-27-20 01:54 AM
    Unless a device is thermal-throttling, or is underclocked via software (like, say, Apple did with iPhones), or the storage is degrading significantly, then it's not going to run any slower 5 years later than it did the first day. What DOES change is software.

Look at an app like Google Maps or Facebook - do you think modern versions need more resources than 5 years ago? Of COURSE - lots more features have been added over the years, and more encryption and security. That means those apps may run slower today than the 5 year old version did 5 years ago on the same device, but that's because the apps have changed in major ways over the years. The phone isn't slower, the apps are just bigger and more complex and need more CPU power to run at the same speed.

That's why phones "slow down."
    Yes and no. I think the main reason phones tend to slow down for most people is lack of maintenance. Keeping the app caches clear, deleting old / unused files, and keeping the memory and storage in a comfortable state goes a long way to keep your device as snappy as possible.

Posted via CB10
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    04-27-20 06:21 AM
    Key 2 became my daily driver 6 months ago, until then I had a few phones that I used since 2014. It is easy to keep lag from being a problem.

Do not install a bunch of unnecessary apps on your phone and uninstall an app when you no longer use it. Get in the habit of not keeping a bunch of apps open simultaneously that you are not using. Take advantage of the good notifications ability of Key 2 and set shortcut to easily open an app when you get a notification. Get a large capacity memory card and set apps to use it rather than phone memory when you can. Most people who complain about their phone lagging usually have bad habits in these respects. Also, keep a price search going for the battery and buy a replacement when it goes more than 50% off. The price will be steady, but then plummet at some point. You want to buy before the battery gets rare and prices go back up.

These steps work well for me, but I am not a heavy social app user.
    04-29-20 06:50 PM
    Key 2 became my daily driver 6 months ago, until then I had a few phones that I used since 2014. It is easy to keep lag from being a problem.

Do not install a bunch of unnecessary apps on your phone and uninstall an app when you no longer use it. Get in the habit of not keeping a bunch of apps open simultaneously that you are not using. Take advantage of the good notifications ability of Key 2 and set shortcut to easily open an app when you get a notification. Get a large capacity memory card and set apps to use it rather than phone memory when you can. Most people who complain about their phone lagging usually have bad habits in these respects. Also, keep a price search going for the battery and buy a replacement when it goes more than 50% off. The price will be steady, but then plummet at some point. You want to buy before the battery gets rare and prices go back up.

These steps work well for me, but I am not a heavy social app user.
    Which app do you recommend for transferring data off the RAM and onto the microSD? To free up memory
    04-29-20 07:02 PM
    I don't use a separate app. When I install any app, I go into settings and set it to use the micro SD then.
    04-29-20 07:07 PM
    Which app do you recommend for transferring data off the RAM and onto the microSD? To free up memory
    You're confusing RAM (memory - which is temporary, and cleared when powered down) with "Flash RAM" (storage, which is retained even when powered down).

Anyway, any file manager can be used. I really like Solid Explorer (for its ability to also access cloud storage or local networks shares), but a lot of people like the Asus File Manager or Total File Commander.
    CrayZMarc likes this.
    04-30-20 01:38 PM