I keep seeing threads about how much better the camera got after update. The camera isn't a make or break for me, but I do want to get it's full potential. I just haven't seen any change in the camera. What is everybody doing to get better shots?
    08-20-18 06:56 PM
    I keep seeing threads about how much better the camera got after update. The camera isn't a make or break for me, but I do want to get it's full potential. I just haven't seen any change in the camera. What is everybody doing to get better shots?

Low light (and I use that term liberally with this camera):

Manual mode:
    Lower the Shutter until the ISO setting becomes RED. Then bump the shutter back up a bit. If the lighting is low enough, put the shutter all the way down to 1/3

Do not try and change the ISO manually, or even move it manually to a setting it was at previously in Auto. For some reason, Manual ISO causes really bad, noisy photos.

Focus - depending on conditions, you may need to adjust it manually.

HDR - experiment on and off.

For Video:
    Low light - avoid 60fps. This will cause a very grainy/noisy video.
    Stick with 24 or 30fps.
    08-20-18 07:25 PM
    Low light (and I use that term liberally with this camera):

Manual mode:
    Lower the Shutter until the ISO setting becomes RED. Then bump the shutter back up a bit. If the lighting is low enough, put the shutter all the way down to 1/3

Do not try and change the ISO manually, or even move it manually to a setting it was at previously in Auto. For some reason, Manual ISO causes really bad, noisy photos.

Focus - depending on conditions, you may need to adjust it manually.

HDR - experiment on and off.

For Video:
    Low light - avoid 60fps. This will cause a very grainy/noisy video.
    Stick with 24 or 30fps.
    This literally confused me even more ha. Why bump shutter all the way left and then a little to the right? The photo is red or blurred. Then you said do the complete opposite and move it all the way right to 1/3. What am I not understanding?
    08-20-18 07:54 PM
    This literally confused me even more ha. Why bump shutter all the way left and then a little to the right? The photo is red or blurred. Then you said do the complete opposite and move it all the way right to 1/3. What am I not understanding?
    What I mean by "lower the shutter", is to slow it down. ie - move it to 1/3

If it's too bright out, as you slow the shutter down, the ISO will auto decrease until it can't anymore. When this happens, it's setting will turn red (the text will turn red).

This means you have maxed it out. So speed the shutter back up just a little until the ISO is no longer maxed (or min'd ?) out.

On the Key2 camera, setting the Shutter to 1/3 will cause the view finder to lag.

You will need to hold the camera very still while you take the photo, and hold it for a good second until you are sure its done snapping it.
    Aholder23 and Vistaus like this.
    08-20-18 07:57 PM
    ohh I got ya. Still disappointed with this update. Guess I'll carry my HTC U11 with my Key2
    08-20-18 08:29 PM
    Ahhhh. Let me see here. To take a photo in relatively low light, which for many people would probably be indoors of their kids and/or pets then lower the shutter speed as low as possible (within available ISO settings) on a cam without ois, will almost guarantee blurred photos (kids move, pets move, hard to hold phone steady). :-p
    08-20-18 09:20 PM
    The hoops people will jump through to try a get a decent photo from this “productivity” phone. :-p.
    08-20-18 09:21 PM
    The hoops people will jump through to try a get a decent photo from this “productivity” phone. :-p.
    Not really hoops. I love the camera when I'm outside. Just asking for tips for low light photos. My wife has the iPhone X and I have a HTC U11 as a secondary phone and tbh I don't see a difference in pictures as far as outside shots go. They've done plenty of YouTube comparison videos and it holds up well against a lot of flagship. Go check em out.
    08-20-18 10:11 PM
    Ahhhh. Let me see here. To take a photo in relatively low light, which for many people would probably be indoors of their kids and/or pets then lower the shutter speed as low as possible (within available ISO settings) on a cam without ois, will almost guarantee blurred photos (kids move, pets move, hard to hold phone steady). :-p
    This is my sentiment exactly. I've actually taken above average low light shots in auto mode so I might just stick with that and switch to manual mode for still shots. I don't think there are gonna be any real updates to solve this issue imo.
    08-20-18 10:14 PM
    Use manual settings for best results. Make sure you pick the right spot for focus and metering.
    08-20-18 10:16 PM
    Use manual settings for best results. Make sure you pick the right spot for focus and metering.
    I've seen the manual mode is a trend, but I just didn't see any real improvement after the update. I was probably just overly optimistic and was let down. Doesn't look like their gonna be able to fix the noisy and grainy photos. I didn't expect a pixel2 quality camera, but was hoping for better indoor/low light shots than what we're getting with this and phone.
    08-20-18 10:23 PM
    I've seen the manual mode is a trend, but I just didn't see any real improvement after the update. I was probably just overly optimistic and was let down. Doesn't look like their gonna be able to fix the noisy and grainy photos. I didn't expect a pixel2 quality camera, but was hoping for better indoor/low light shots than what we're getting with this and phone.
    What build are you on? Aug ABE181 ?
    08-20-18 10:26 PM
    What build are you on? Aug ABE181 ?
    Yes
    08-20-18 10:37 PM
    Managed to get excellent photos of my dog today in daylight. The issue for me has never been photos, but rather video with the key2.
    Attached Thumbnails camera tips-14582.jpg  
    falbo and Vistaus like this.
    08-20-18 11:11 PM
    Pic2
    Attached Thumbnails camera tips-14580.jpg  
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-20-18 11:13 PM
    Pic2
    The problem for me has been most indoor photos (I have led daylight bulbs so that could be an issue bc it seems to have a weird affect on my wife's iPhone X and my HTC U11 too) and low light photos. I think daylight and evening shots are great on the Key2.
    Last edited by Aholder23; 08-21-18 at 12:02 AM.
    08-20-18 11:48 PM
    if you gonna do selfies better make a screenshot rather taking a normal selfie photo instead. haha
    08-21-18 01:14 AM
    Pic2
    Nice dog.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    nucks26 and Summer_Moon like this.
    08-21-18 01:37 AM