kijiji seller claims it's new. (Box has been opened). Seller seems to have a good rep - no complaints. Modest activity over 5 years.

Is there a way to determine:
    - if the phone has been refurbished
    - been used (e.g. "how long" )
    - if it's unlocked

I plan to test speakers, mic (make a call), camera, keyboard. "Settings"/"About" for version etc (he posted a screenshot ... BBF100-2 BBF100-2 etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    05-17-21 08:31 PM
    kijiji seller claims it's new. (Box has been opened). Seller seems to have a good rep - no complaints. Modest activity over 5 years.

Is there a way to determine:
    - if the phone has been refurbished
    - been used (e.g. "how long" )
    - if it's unlocked

I plan to test speakers, mic (make a call), camera, keyboard. "Settings"/"About" for version etc (he posted a screenshot ... BBF100-2 BBF100-2 etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    All KEY² devices are unlocked.

If you are in North America, then BBF100-2 is the correct model.

You'll never know if he used it before, or if it's been refurbished.
    hamilgs likes this.
    05-17-21 08:39 PM
    Thx. Much appreciated, Conite.

I thought there was a lifetime minute tracker somewhere - but even if so, I suspect a security wipe might reset that.

I guess it's caveat emptor.
    05-17-21 08:43 PM

I thought there was a lifetime minute tracker somewhere - but even if so, I suspect a security wipe might reset that.

I suppose if it has an ancient OS still installed on it that coincides somewhat with the device's assembly date, that would tell you something.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1381535354

Assembly date should be on the box.
    mngreen likes this.
    05-17-21 08:47 PM

The timer you speak of is time elapsed since last boot. So not very helpful in this case.
    hamilgs likes this.
    05-17-21 08:51 PM
    Doh! Thx.
    05-17-21 09:27 PM
    Do batteries still do charge cycles?
    mngreen likes this.
    05-18-21 07:29 AM
    If it's not factory sealed, it's not new.
    mngreen likes this.
    05-18-21 01:38 PM
    All KEY² devices are unlocked.

If you are in North America, then BBF100-2 is the correct model.

You'll never know if he used it before, or if it's been refurbished.
    I am probably wrong but I thought that refurbished devices had the manufacturing date replaced by x's ?
    hamilgs likes this.
    05-18-21 01:41 PM
    I am probably wrong but I thought that refurbished devices had the manufacturing date replaced by x's ?
    Some are like that already.
    hamilgs and mngreen like this.
    05-18-21 04:44 PM
    Some are like that already.
    Thanks. Seems odd. Why bother with a serial number "system" and then circumvent it with no serial number? I'm not expecting an answer. Maybe the "x" serial numbers indicate the units pre "back doored" for the security services?
    hamilgs and mngreen like this.
    05-19-21 01:07 PM
    I've got one new in box I need to get around to selling.
    mngreen likes this.
    05-23-21 03:08 PM
    My eBay refurb KEY2 experience + how to test yours. I bought a "Refurbished" KEY2 on eBay from a seller with great feedback. Shipping from New Jersey with 11 days to reach me (New Orleans). Oh well, COVID, right? Then tracking info showed it shipped from Hong Kong, slightly outside of New Jersey. Took 11 days to reach US Customs, 14 total ship days to me. Phone looked almost perfect, shrink wrapped in factory box with all accessories, one small blemish on one side. Factory Auto Test (dial *#2886#) FAILED Keyboard Backlight ,Battery, and USB/CHARGING. All internal screws were stripped, replaced them, keyboard, battery USB-C board and phone is now refurbished + working. There is still a charging issue which I addressed in another thread today. Final Note: I filed a Not as Advertised claim with eBay, seller ignored it, eBay issued me a full refund and told me to keep the phone. Once I'm comfortable that there are no more issues with the phone I am going to send the seller the purchase price (~$450 US) less the cost of the extra refurbishing (!currently at ~$300).
    05-31-21 11:52 AM
    Thanks for the detailed info, very helpful.
    Glad eBay accepted the issue and hopefully will penalize the seller.
    All the best for your Key2
    05-31-21 02:07 PM
    Thanks for the detailed info, very helpful.
    Glad eBay accepted the issue and hopefully will penalize the seller.
    All the best for your Key2
    Seller was penalized: eBay refunded me out of the seller's PayPal account. PayPal usually put a 21 day hold on all eBay sales proceeds over $250. If the seller would have followed the rules, eBay would have issued a return shipping label to me and charged it against the held sale proceeds, and would have refunded me after the return was received by the seller. eBay has gotten a lot more pro-buyer in order to compete with Amazon, this seller had obviously not been keeping up with the changes. As I indicated previously. I don't agree with eBay's decision that I don't owe the seller anything. I have gone out of my way to keep the repair expenses reasonable so that I can pay him something. It was not easy, the first three repair shops opened the phone, saw all the stripped screws, handed it back, and said "Good luck!"
    05-31-21 09:16 PM
    if you're in New Orleans, PM me. I've got one new in box. can meet you in McComb or Hammond. police station parking lot works for me.
    06-01-21 08:58 PM
    I've got one new in box I need to get around to selling.
    what's the best way for us to connect?
    06-03-21 08:22 PM
    My eBay refurb KEY2 experience + how to test yours. I bought a "Refurbished" KEY2 on eBay from a seller with great feedback. Shipping from New Jersey with 11 days to reach me (New Orleans). Oh well, COVID, right? Then tracking info showed it shipped from Hong Kong, slightly outside of New Jersey. Took 11 days to reach US Customs, 14 total ship days to me. Phone looked almost perfect, shrink wrapped in factory box with all accessories, one small blemish on one side. Factory Auto Test (dial *#2886#) FAILED Keyboard Backlight ,Battery, and USB/CHARGING. All internal screws were stripped, replaced them, keyboard, battery USB-C board and phone is now refurbished + working. There is still a charging issue which I addressed in another thread today. Final Note: I filed a Not as Advertised claim with eBay, seller ignored it, eBay issued me a full refund and told me to keep the phone. Once I'm comfortable that there are no more issues with the phone I am going to send the seller the purchase price (~$450 US) less the cost of the extra refurbishing (!currently at ~$300).
    You are being kind, considering that the seller was both dishonest and unresponsive. You might withhold a little more than the $300 to factor in the rather significant inconvenience.

Even so - I admire your position on this.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    06-03-21 08:27 PM
    Very kind and supportive on ur part 🙂
    Glad ebay acted and penalized the seller.
    06-05-21 02:17 PM
    Very kind and supportive on ur part
    Glad ebay acted and penalized the seller.
    eBay almost ALWAYS penalizes the seller, even when the buyer is wrong. Their pro-buyer policy is disgusting, there has been many horror stories.

In this case though the buyer was right, but it's not always the case. Far from it.
    06-05-21 11:53 PM