So a week ago or so I found someone who had a spare KEY2 for sale, for $450 Canadian. ended up buying it (I forgot how snappy the KEY2 is compared to mine as it's water damaged).

So I have a spare KEY2 which I plan on switching over to full time in the coming weeks or months, but I feel like this is it. If I can find another KEY2 I'll probably buy it too just so I have a spare too.

For the first time, I actually don't have a planned transition device. Kinda bummed. I plan on dual handling a Note 20 Ultra alongside the KEY2 so I can do more taxing things on it whenever possible. But this feeling sucks.

I wish they released a KEY3 or plans for a KEY3 but nope. This is it. It was fun while it lasted. As less and less (and now almost zero) articles are on crackberry, I have decided to transition away froM the forums. Not many are active here, and I can't remember the last tIme I saw a blackberry out in the wild.

As a last hope, I did get in touch with Unihertz and asked them if they're making any form factors and they did say a more traditional blackberry might be in the works. so who knows, maybe we'll see a Unihertz KEY2 device with a killer battery and IP68 rating. if so, i'd probably buy a few of those too.
    Rico4you and MissBerri like this.
    08-10-20 09:29 PM
    Even though it has been officially announced that BB Mobile has stopped selling Blackberry branded devices, along with a statement from Blackberry Ltd, the news hasn't generated the news I suspected it would.

All things considered, Blackberry devices were ironic phones and a very very large portion of people had them as their first smartphones and a lot of people LOVES them and had fond memories. The Key 2 ad a few years ago with the saying "I used to LOVE my Blackberry" was true.

Anyhow, long story short, with the final nail in the coffin for this ironic brand I figured more would have been made of this? A thrill back Thursday if you will.

Either way, I am still on BB 10 for the foreseeable future and will probably transition to a Key 2 device before the end of the year. That may hopefully carry me a few years and at that point, who really knows what this crazy world holds!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-20 11:20 PM
    I'd love to see Unihertz make a more practical device. if BB didn't she them for the Titan, then they shouldn't have trouble putting out a more traditional PKB phone.
    08-10-20 11:55 PM
    Even though it has been officially announced that BB Mobile has stopped selling Blackberry branded devices, along with a statement from Blackberry Ltd, the news hasn't generated the news I suspected it would.

All things considered, Blackberry devices were ironic phones and a very very large portion of people had them as their first smartphones and a lot of people LOVES them and had fond memories. The Key 2 ad a few years ago with the saying "I used to LOVE my Blackberry" was true.

Anyhow, long story short, with the final nail in the coffin for this ironic brand I figured more would have been made of this? A thrill back Thursday if you will.

Either way, I am still on BB 10 for the foreseeable future and will probably transition to a Key 2 device before the end of the year. That may hopefully carry me a few years and at that point, who really knows what this crazy world holds!

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry users maxed out at about 80 million. If you compare that to the 3.5 billion people that use smartphones today, the 80 million becomes statistically insignificant.
    08-11-20 12:09 AM
    Regardless, the KEYone and KEY2 devices are ok to use for another 3-5 years.

Use responsibly and enjoy!
    08-11-20 03:24 AM

So long as one understands that their risks are elevated when using an unsupported device, and that risk increases geometrically the longer they hold on to it.
    rarsen and John Albert like this.
    08-11-20 08:07 AM
    So long as one understands that their risks are elevated when using an unsupported device, and that risk increases geometrically the longer they hold on to it.
    Just the vulnerabilities announced this last week from Tencent’s Blade & Check Point are a geometrical increase... some requiring no user intervention or installing of app. Just leaving your Wi-Fi connection on is all that's required.

As for it "hasn't generated the news"... that 80 Million was eight years ago. Last five years might have been a few million that have used a BlackBerry of some sort... but most people taught they were already out of business when BlackBerry announced they were getting out of hardware four years ago. So it's not really news at this point.
    08-11-20 08:33 AM

Unlike BB10 which didn’t have the security and privacy attacks due to statistical zero users at EOS, the underlying OS puts all BBAndroid users at greater risks once support has ended. A BB10 user isn’t going to be safe becoming a BBAndroid user now, compared with 3-5 years ago let alone 3-5 months ago.

BBAndroid like BB10 was before, practically dead now. It’s more usable than BB10 was at same point for app usage but far less for security purposes for OS vulnerabilities.
    John Albert likes this.
    08-11-20 11:40 AM
    I think if you stick with Google protected play store apps, it should be relatively safe to use for another few years.

People have been saying BlackBerry is dead since BlackBerry 10 days with every BlackBerry phone release supposedly being the last one. I am somewhat hopeful that BlackBerry will find a another hardware partner to produce their phones in future.
    jtrx7 and parryberry like this.
    08-11-20 12:14 PM
    I think if you stick with Google protected play store apps, it should be relatively safe to use for another few years.
    What does this really mean? Relatively safe compared to what?

Again, no one is saying the devices should be dumped immediately, only that it's reckless to say "it's all good for years to come" , or something of that nature.

One simply has to acknowledge that the risk level is much higher on an unpatched device than a patched device, and then decide. But the facts have to be laid out clearly so everyone can make their own risk assessment.
    08-11-20 12:51 PM
    I also bought a spare Key2, sigh. I love physical keyboard BlackBerries.
    keefrto, Sigewif and JOHNGAETANO like this.
    08-11-20 04:42 PM
    I'm waiting for the guy that bought 10 Passports to buy 10 KEY2 now....

I don't want my current phone to be my next phone.....
    08-12-20 07:38 AM
    Or the guy that’s selling a bunch of BBOS hardware that’s practically worthless as BIS has disappeared.
    08-12-20 11:40 AM
    I have 2 KEYs as well. I put Cylance on my KEYone and will probably put it on both my KEY2s.
    08-12-20 02:56 PM
    I have 2 KEYs as well. I put Cylance on my KEYone and will probably put it on both my KEY2s.
    I wonder what ever happened with https://insights.samsung.com/2019/09...se-to-android/

Been almost a year.... but haven't seen anyone that's said they have seen a Cylance App on Samsung phones or a listing of Cylance in the credits for device security.
    Nothing beyond the Four month free trial when you buy a Samsung phone or tablet.... but is that a partnership or a marketing scheme? Anyone buy a Samsung phone recently and find a trial of Cylance or a card to download it?

A more recent article (last month) from Samsung Insights that deals with "Is installing antivirus software on mobile devices necessary?".... doesn't even mention Cylance, but it's basically and article on End Point protection for IT Managers.
    08-13-20 01:24 PM