If it uses Google Play Services, then good luck regardless of what you do.

Chrome already collects data when you aren't logged in.
    01-04-19 08:10 PM
    Nice! I'm with deleting everything Google. What do u do for maps? Some stuff we just can't avoid apparently. Smh
    I use Here maps, but it has a number of trackers. The plus side is that it can be used offline, and with a firewall, the tracking servers are very easy to identify and block so you can continue to use the app without any loss of function.

Edit:

These are the trackers which are easy to identify and block.

Apptimize
    Facebook
    Google Ads
    Hockey App
    Byrese likes this.
    01-04-19 08:15 PM
    I use Here maps, but it has a number of trackers. The plus side is that it can be used offline, and with a firewall, the tracking servers are very easy to identify and block so you can continue to use the app without any loss of function.

Edit:

These are the trackers which are easy to identify and block.

Apptimize
    Facebook
    Google Ads
    Hockey App
    I remember Here Maps from my Windows Phone days. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!
    01-04-19 08:37 PM
    You could also give Navmii a try. An older version also works on BB10.
    01-05-19 02:42 AM
    Nice! I'm with deleting everything Google. What do u do for maps? Some stuff we just can't avoid apparently. Smh
    Here we go maps apparently is a good choice....apparently....

Posted via CB10
    01-05-19 06:35 AM
    Given a Google Account, then the user is also given an unique Google ID. The user performs various web activity and all apps used connect with this Google ID. Now we hear of data sharing with Facebook by Tech firms, it's as easy as one-two-three. In this regard there is no privacy, except BBRY 10 OS encryption.
    Encryption only secures your local data, it has nothing to do with the privacy. Privacy is more like your activities using services in your phone, searching a movie, goods, songs etc. They are all recorded as queries and will be used to give you ads or different form of suggestions based on your interests. No matter what services you're using, most of them use the same bussiness models, collecting data. Including google, they also track your activities if you use their services, even as simple as searching thing in web browser. They are all recorded. No matter what your phone is.

This is what I do and you should to, first of all don't use Google as a search engine, I use duckduckgo instead and works great, don't use chrome, use Firefox and get the adblocker addon, search from there. Turn off, disable, uninstall everything that's related to Google. Only grant permissions that apps need to get done what you really need, nothing more, nothing less.

On your pc, do the same, Firefox and a duckduckgo, and get this addons, adblocker, noscript, https everywhere

Of course you will always be tracked somehow but you can get away with it this way, kind of
    Adblocker will only remove the ads that should be presented on the web page you're on. The tracking algorithm that decided the ads are based on your interest are still actually running.
    01-05-19 08:20 AM
    Encryption has nothing to do with the privacy. Google will track your activities if you use their services, even as simple as searching in web browser. They are all recorded. No matter what your phone is.

Adblocker will only remove the ads that should be presented on the web page you're on. The tracking algorithm that decided the ads are based on your interest are still actually running.
    So privacy is compromised on BB10 if running apps that were ported from Android into BBW or APKs loaded because either way it’s Android instead of BB10 native?
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    01-05-19 08:27 AM
    Maps, translate and youtube are the only things that I actually use, there are alternatives to Google maps, however I just turn all permissions off and allow them just for the time I really have to use location
    01-05-19 08:44 AM
    Encryption only secures your local data, it has nothing to do with the privacy. Privacy is more like your activities using services in your phone, searching a movie, goods, songs etc. They are all recorded as queries and will be used to give you ads or different form of suggestions based on your interests. No matter what services you're using, most of them use the same bussiness models, collecting data. Including google, they also track your activities if you use their services, even as simple as searching thing in web browser. They are all recorded. No matter what your phone is.

That's why you should install noscript on firefox android to prevent that
    Martin Haughton and chain13 like this.
    01-05-19 08:46 AM
    So privacy is compromised on BB10 if running apps that were ported from Android into BBW or APKs loaded because either way it’s Android instead of BB10 native?
    I can say yes, and it's not only limited to ported android apps. Even native app can have the same behavior depend on what service it runs. For example, if you use native spotify app or other music streaming app in your BB10. You login into your account, you search some songs, add them to your favourite list. Next time you use the app, the home will full of suggestions of song similar to what you like (based on your interests). They track your activity while you use their service/app.

It's not limited to stream music services, other services also use the same model of monitoring activity. Messenger app that use your phone number as ID, most likely ask permission to access to your phonebook to work properly. Most of people here are concern about google, since google has wide array of services where they can mine the data from. But actually, there are a lot of services other than google that use the same model of mining your data/tracking activities.
    01-05-19 08:55 AM
    I can say yes, and it's not only limited to ported android apps. Even native app can have the same behavior depend on what service it runs. For example, if you use native spotify app or other music streaming app in your BB10. You login into your account, you search some songs, add them to your favourite list. Next time you use the app, the home will full of suggestions of song similar to what you like (based on your interests). They track your activity while you use their service/app.

It's not limited to stream music services, other services also use the same model of monitoring activity. Messenger app that use your phone number as ID, most likely ask permission to access to your phonebook to work properly. Most of people here are concern about google, since google has wide array of services where they can mine the data from. But actually, there are a lot of services other than google that use the same model of mining your data/tracking activities.
    That's true....unfortunately...and it will become worse and worse....
    Martin Haughton and chain13 like this.
    01-05-19 12:58 PM
    That's true....unfortunately...and it will become worse and worse....
    Except in Europe given the GDPR. In the US it’s going to be culturally quite challenging to get tech companies to see that they should be protecting people’s rights and people’s privacy rights in particular.
    01-05-19 04:17 PM
    Privacy should be on everyone's mind. Saying that you have nothing to hide so you don't care is a very weak statement. would you be OK with random police checks, checking for papers like they did in Germany? Would you be OK with your telephone conversations being live-monitored like they were in communist eastern block countries? Of course not. We have to understand that these giant companies like Google are deeply involved and intertwined with big 3 letter government agencies. The less we pay attention to this the more freedoms we give up daily. Smart devices were created with the intention of constant monitoring. They opened up wide open the digital doors to our homes and lives. I don't care if I have something to hide or I don't. I don't want anyone building a profile on me or my family members for any type of use later on.

To me the safest and most secure device, while still being "smart" is one running pure stock Android without any google services on it.

It takes extra work and kills some convenience as you have to download and update apps from outside the play store.

Use a baked in VPN.

Use signal for encrypted communication and video.

Don't allow any type of permissions outside of an app's designed function.

This is what I do.

This is why I run Linux on my pc and laptop. Open source everything.

I currently use a Note 9 with lots of blackberry software on it like they keyboard, calendar and hub.

It is de-bloated from anything Google. No Samsung account.

I still get to experience a great phone with a stylus, and excellent camera and all the apps.

I personally don't use an social media. I have no need or desire or urge to share my life or photos of my kids or pets or my breakfast with everyone on the Internet. I am sure those same people don't care what I ate for dinner.

Banking apps work just fine.
    Maps work just fine.
    Calls work.
    Camera works.
    Internet works.
    File sharing works.

Try to stay away from cloud services of any kind. Especially the "free" ones.

Set up a home cloud server and harden its security.

Sniff your network often and check logs for any kind of strange connections in and out.

It's not that hard.

Most people are too lazy to care.

Most of my friends think I'm a conspiracy theorist and crazy. I think most of them have become blind sheep, in a trance with their screens.
    Last edited by Marcin Dabrowsky; 01-06-19 at 01:28 PM.
    Byrese, falbo, cyberdoggie and 1 others like this.
    01-06-19 01:16 PM
    Well, I guess that's where the brand is going:

https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...-safe-for-you/
    01-06-19 03:05 PM

LOL. Security yes. But privacy? From whom? Not from the Googles of this world for who private data harvesting is a business model. Case in point: BBMo may have some of the most secure Android phones around but they are certainly not doing much to protect privacy from Google's appetite.
    chetmanley and anon(10218918) like this.
    01-06-19 03:57 PM
    Fully protecting privacy today, is like trying to get one of these to work for you, you can, but is it practical and worth the effort against the inevitable?!? Reducing to a trickle the collecting of data, is still collecting of data. It's like being a little pregnant. Cheers, As a BlackBerry user how concerned are you about it privacy Android?-0f03848a-d136-461e-8319-03adb5f28915.jpeg
    01-06-19 04:03 PM
    01-06-19 06:37 PM
    They are smart. I don't have any answers honestly but I say their smart because they realize that consumer privacy is an issue. If they can market themselves (and actually be) as the privacy champion they can make some money. I don't have any numbers but there are people leaving Android bcuz of security related issues.
    01-06-19 06:44 PM
    That is what BB needs to be doing FFS!

Koodos to Apple for doing it, even though we know it isn't entirely accurate. Everything that is said into Siri is uploaded to Apple and as we all know, just like on Android or BB10, most applications contain trackers for Amazon, Google, Facebook and countless others.

Now what BB needs to do is first of all plug the leaks in its own devices by implementing a Firewall and modifying DTEK to show a privacy degrade when Google is active.

Then they can show the world what a true privacy tool BB can be, call out Apple while they're at it and show the people it can do things the iPhone can't to provide that Privacy.
    Byrese likes this.
    01-06-19 07:15 PM
    That is what BB needs to be doing FFS!

Koodos to Apple for doing it, even though we know it isn't entirely accurate. Everything that is said into Siri is uploaded to Apple and as we all know, just like on Android or BB10, most applications contain trackers for Amazon, Google, Facebook and countless others.

Now what BB needs to do is first of all plug the leaks in its own devices by implementing a Firewall and modifying DTEK to show a privacy degrade when Google is active.

Then they can show the world what a true privacy tool BB can be and show the people it can do things the iPhone can't to provide that Privacy.
    I know this may seem random but even the size of the key2 screen screams privacy. It's small enough that people can't so readily look on your screen. Add privacy shade to that. Yes please!
    01-06-19 07:21 PM
    Fully protecting privacy today, is like trying to get one of these to work for you, you can, but is it practical and worth the effort against the inevitable?!? Reducing to a trickle the collecting of data, is still collecting of data. It's like being a little pregnant. Cheers, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0f03848a-d136-461e-8319-03adb5f28915.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	442297
    It's not nearly as hopeless as you think. People just have to get off of some of the free, private platforms and use the same tools that businesses use to keep their data private. I won't repeat the steps here, but it's not that difficult for people who care about it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-07-19 11:14 AM
    It's not nearly as hopeless as you think. People just have to get off of some of the free, private platforms and use the same tools that businesses use to keep their data private. I won't repeat the steps here, but it's not that difficult for people who care about it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Agreed, however there have been and continue to be breaches at the corporate level globally. Plus, paid platforms are no guarantee of security, more secure to be sure, but still vulnerable. Also, the extra cost for an individual or small company could be highly prohibitive. Thus my statement of battling the inevitable. Cheers,
    01-07-19 11:33 AM

As I understand BlackBerry Secure, it is only focused on that, what tries to go INTO the things but not OUT OF the things. 😒
    01-07-19 01:52 PM
    Yes it is. On the Androids the risks for privacy can be minimized by using Netguard Pro. On BB 10 it is not possible because of the old Android Runtime.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 01-07-19 at 03:07 PM.
    01-07-19 01:53 PM
    As I understand BlackBerry Secure, it is only focused on that, what tries to go INTO the things but not OUT OF the things.
    What code the vendor chooses to run on its own devices is their business. BlackBerry Secure just makes sure no one else can run anything on the device.
    01-07-19 01:55 PM
105 ... 2345