After using the k1 and the k2 respectively, I really do think that as cool of a concept as it is, having the fingerprint sensor embedded in the space key is actually doing more than harm than good. For starters, it really affect the typing sensation in a very negatively way. Space key is one of the most frequently used keys in the keyboard, yet it has this weird click and a much lighter press compared to every other keys, and this really slows down the typing speed for a lot of us. We basically have to constantly adopt to two different keystroke strength ALL the time, and for me I just couldn't get the speed up as I can with a normal space key.

Also with a lot of phones having the fingerprint sensor on the back , I just think it's more of a usage habit now, as it's much easier to adjust to a finger print sensor in the back then the weird clicky spacekey in the keyboard...

If Blackberry / TCL decide to make a k3, I really do hope that they stop with the fingerprint sensor space key and give us back a solid, thicker spacekey that was in the older Bold devices...
    08-13-18 09:56 PM
    ...or they just design it more "betterly" . I don't have a K2 but I don't mind how K1 spacebar feel while typing it. I do halfway agree...it would be nice if they can have the fingerprint scanner in the spacebar but have it feel like older BB's. Dont kno if it's possible tho.
    tazcubed likes this.
    08-13-18 10:15 PM
    No issues for me.

I think the scanner in the spacebar is one of the best features on the KEY series.
    08-13-18 10:19 PM
    After using the k1 and the k2 respectively, I really do think that as cool of a concept as it is, having the fingerprint sensor embedded in the space key is actually doing more than harm than good. For starters, it really affect the typing sensation in a very negatively way. Space key is one of the most frequently used keys in the keyboard, yet it has this weird click and a much lighter press compared to every other keys, and this really slows down the typing speed for a lot of us. We basically have to constantly adopt to two different keystroke strength ALL the time, and for me I just couldn't get the speed up as I can with a normal space key.

Also with a lot of phones having the fingerprint sensor on the back , I just think it's more of a usage habit now, as it's much easier to adjust to a finger print sensor in the back then the weird clicky spacekey in the keyboard...

If Blackberry / TCL decide to make a k3, I really do hope that they stop with the fingerprint sensor space key and give us back a solid, thicker spacekey that was in the older Bold devices...
    I disagree. The space key had no issues on the K1 so anybody complaining about it on the K2 means it's a hardware issue. The spacebar is noticeably wider on the K2 so perhaps that has something to do with it. I also prefer having a finger print sensor on the front of a device because I can access it while it is on a table top without picking it up, or when it is docked while I'm driving.
    tazcubed likes this.
    08-13-18 10:20 PM
    Not sure what OP is referring too. Works perfectly fine for me.
    08-13-18 10:23 PM
    Nope. Have to disagree.

The KeyOne spacebar is quite nice for a 1st attempt considering its probably the most complicated little space bar on the planet.

Sadly, they botched it with the Key2. But that doesn't mean they should give up on it. It just means they need to suck less at designing the space bar for the Key3, or just reuse the key1 design because it worked quite well IMO, it even has those pointless, but cool, LEDs on the sides!

That said, I think having the fingerprint sensor on the back is very inconvenient.

With the finger print sensor on the back, the phone now needs to be picked up just to unlock the device, which would drive me mental.

I really really hope TCL doesn't follow this trend and keeps the fingerprint sensor on the front of the device where I personally think it's the most practical.

As for typing speed, that's very subjective. I type nearly the same speed on all my BB devices. Right now the Key1 is my fastest, with the Key 2 coming in second, but just because its new - and partially because the space bar on mine is garbage..

Anyway, my 2 cents... keep the finger print sensor where it is, make the key3 space bar better, or just resuse the key1 space bar and sensor in the key3.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 08-13-18 at 10:39 PM.
    08-13-18 10:27 PM
    Well, if they manage to retain a similar keystroke strength with a fingerprint sensor underneath, then by all means yes
    08-13-18 10:44 PM
    Mine works great every time. I don't have an issue with it. Having said that, I also wouldn't mind if it moved to the back of the phone either
    08-13-18 11:56 PM
    I disagree with OP. My wife can unlock her KeyONe more quickly with that front spacebar scanner than I can with my PIxel phone which I either must pick up to scan on the back or enter my pw. First world problems to be sure . . .
    08-14-18 12:58 AM
    Go back to the keyone sized spacebar
    08-14-18 01:14 AM
    Yeah they did it right with the KEYone, don't see why they can't for KEY3. Hell, my KEY2 has a different and weaker feeling spacebar but it works and isn't wobbly/loose. If yours is, exchange it and enjoy it.
    If anything, worst case if they really can't get it right, then at least put the fp scanner on the side power button, which is much better than on the back
    08-14-18 01:48 AM
    I think TCL making the space bar doing double duty as the fingerprint scanner demonstrated innovative and ergonomic thinking and design. Using it as such is so convenient and feels natural.
    I think that the problems many people are having with the scanner are a result of how they initially setup their print.
    I hope TCL continues this feature with all future Key#/pkb phones.
    One KEYᵒⁿᵉ scanner feature that is missing on the Key² are the little lights. I like those.
    08-14-18 03:30 AM
    Society nowadays really doesn't appreciate/encourage innovation on a product, does it?

1. When TCL makes the key1 and key2 with physical keyboard which acts as a trackpad at the same time, people complain about it and they want TCL to follow the others to just make a full glass phone.
    2. When TCL doubles the spacebar as the finger print scanner which is great use of space and design, now people complain about it. Ya, it should follow the others again to put the finger print scanner at the back.

All the people want just a faster processor, faster ram, better camera bla bla bla all they care is only better specification. When a phone manufacturer just made a phone with a better or newer processor, slightly more ram, a better camera than the previous generation phone, people call it the best phone ever.

When a phone manufacturer makes something unique, it will be bashed to hell.
    08-14-18 05:31 AM
    Society nowadays really doesn't appreciate/encourage innovation on a product, does it?

1. When TCL makes the key1 and key2 with physical keyboard which acts as a trackpad at the same time, people complain about it and they want TCL to follow the others to just make a full glass phone.
    2. When TCL doubles the spacebar as the finger print scanner which is great use of space and design, now people complain about it. Ya, it should follow the others again to put the finger print scanner at the back.

All the people want just a faster processor, faster ram, better camera bla bla bla all they care is only better specification. When a phone manufacturer just made a phone with a better or newer processor, slightly more ram, a better camera than the previous generation phone, people call it the best phone ever.

When a phone manufacturer makes something unique, it will be bashed to hell.
    Spot on
    08-14-18 06:27 AM
    spacebar finger print scanner works great for me, much better than scanner on the back of the phone. The only one I liked better was the side scanner that Sony devices had before The XZ2.
    08-14-18 06:55 AM
    A fingerprint scanner is not safe and secure plain and simple. It’s more so a feature to expedite verification without using your password. Of course, one can choose not to use it. I could care less if BB never produced a device with a fingerprint scanner again.
    08-14-18 07:34 AM
    A fingerprint scanner is not safe and secure plain and simple. It’s more so a feature to expedite verification without using your password. Of course, one can choose not to use it. I could care less if BB never produced a device with a fingerprint scanner again.
    Well on a side note I wonder what the hell happened to picture password ever since the Priv.

Not sure why they got rid of that option as its much better than manually inputting password or the awful pattern thing
    08-14-18 07:54 AM
    I find it very useful, fpr register every single time..
    08-14-18 10:47 AM
    I like mine on the Keyone. works very nicely.
    08-14-18 10:48 AM
    Disagree with OP, the fingerprint scanner worked great on the KeyOne, but I am not sure why it doesn't on the Key2.
    08-14-18 11:22 AM

Please no. It is perfectly placed. I would much rather go forward with improving the spacebar and fingerprint sensor together than dropping it just because it doesn't feel quite right currently. I love having it in the spacebar and do not want that to change.
    tazcubed likes this.
    08-14-18 03:59 PM
    Please no. It is perfectly placed. I would much rather go forward with improving the spacebar and fingerprint sensor together than dropping it just because it doesn't feel quite right currently. I love having it in the spacebar and do not want that to change.
    I wouldn't either, I'm sure they can build it right with KEY3 / KEY2 LE, but in the event that they REALLY can't for whatever reason, then a side mounted one on the power button would be acceptable for me.
    tazcubed likes this.
    08-14-18 04:04 PM
    No issues for me.

I think the scanner in the spacebar is one of the best features on the KEY series.
    Same here.
    08-14-18 04:15 PM
    I wouldn't either, I'm sure they can build it right with KEY3 / KEY2 LE, but in the event that they REALLY can't for whatever reason, then a side mounted one on the power button would be acceptable for me.
    If they can't, then an in-screen one (like on the Vivo Nex) would be acceptable for me.
    08-14-18 04:16 PM
    What next? A retractable/swivel keyboard design for the Key series citing physical keys being intrusive? SMH...
    08-15-18 04:47 AM
28 12