I'd be happy if TCL just upgraded internal hardware for the key2 and never release a key3.
    I'd rather have the key2 design (which looks spectacular) but be able to replace the mother board or camera hardware once every two yrs.

I'm not talking about soldering chips into existing mother boards here. I'm suggesting the make a whole new mother board that fits a key2, sell it as a viable upgrade.

I take the key2 apart. Throw away or sell the other mother board and install the new one.

it would be cheaper for them, would continue to sell key2 inventory, gives us upgrades, gives bbm a device to upgrade OS on, and cost effective for us while simultaneously building faith.
    It would also be eco-friendly and arguably the first phone to do such a thing.
    09-07-19 10:37 AM
    I'd be happy if TCL just upgraded internal hardware for the key2 and never release a key3.
    I'd rather have the key2 design (which looks spectacular) but be able to replace the mother board or camera hardware once every two yrs.

I'm not talking about soldering chips into existing mother boards here. I'm suggesting the make a whole new mother board that fits a key2, sell it as a viable upgrade.

I take the key2 apart. Throw away or sell the other mother board and install the new one.

it would be cheaper for them, would continue to sell key2 inventory, gives us upgrades, gives bbm a device to upgrade OS on, and cost effective for us while simultaneously building faith.
    It would also be eco-friendly and arguably the first phone to do such a thing.
    Yes, since it sounds like they haven’t lost enough money.

If the BB licensing is truly over, maybe you’ve found your own venture project.
    09-07-19 12:04 PM

If the BB licensing is truly over, maybe you’ve found your own venture project.
    I'd love too, if only I had some $$$ to start it up.
    09-07-19 12:59 PM
    Instead of airing your dirty laundry aka closets, BB10 should just be born-again.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    09-08-19 12:44 AM
    Instead of airing your dirty laundry aka closets, BB10 should just be born-again.
    It’s available for licensing.
    09-08-19 05:02 AM
    Oh since when there's that operating system available for licensing? BlackBerry have long said no to that. Any reference to that effect much appreciated.
    09-08-19 06:48 AM
    Huh?
    09-08-19 06:51 AM
    Oh since when there's that operating system available for licensing? BlackBerry have long said no to that. Any reference to that effect much appreciated.

Since before Chen, it’s been available for licensing to any OEM that wanted to produce it’s own line of BB10 hardware. No different than Microsoft licensing it’s OS for the phones back in the day.

https://gizmodo.com/rim-planning-to-...turers-5931161

That’s why it was obvious BB10 was going to fail before Chen since nobody OEM wise had any interest with any OS besides Android back then. Much the same way that BB will develop BBAndroid for licensing, it will still do BB10 if you write a big enough check. If BB needed to put X into BB10 right now to keep going than X + Profit Margin = Licensing Cost

Huh?
    Duh.....
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 09-08-19 at 08:46 AM.
    09-08-19 07:45 AM
    on IFA TCL had some key2 devies on there stand/floor. So is there hope for a new device
    09-08-19 03:53 PM
    Great do I get a cd for the cost of licensing bb10 on a new device, or do I download it at the playstore? (Ah if only it was that easy, right everybody?).
    09-08-19 09:58 PM
    on IFA TCL had some key2 devies on there stand/floor. So is there hope for a new device
    Yep.
    hamilgs and Jake2826 like this.
    09-08-19 10:39 PM
    Yep. [IMG=1610x835]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190909/46716f833212209bafed3190211facfb.jpg[/url]
    That should give us some hope. What do you think now?
    09-09-19 12:19 AM
    That should give us some hope. What do you think now?
    Doesn't really change anything in my eyes. Either way, they still want to sell more devices.
    09-09-19 12:42 AM
    Doesn't really change anything in my eyes. Either way, they still want to sell more devices.
    Thank you.
    Any news about the update process?
    09-09-19 12:42 AM
    Thank you.
    Any news about the update process?
    Still paused.
    09-09-19 12:43 AM
    Why should people buy it? Why are most people stuck on older os for years with no issue?
    09-09-19 12:58 AM
    Why should people buy it? Why are most people stuck on older os for years with no issue?
    Good question.
    09-09-19 01:21 AM
    For the same reason someone would buy anything: whether or not it's the best product for their needs over whatever period they see as relevant.

Some people care a lot more than others about Android versions and/or updates. Some care a lot more than others about the PKB, or the capacitive keyboard, or BB's security model, etc.

I agree that most people don't want a phone stuck on Oreo, with guarantee of updates, but BlackBerry was never targeting these PKB phones at everyone.
    09-09-19 08:53 AM
    For the first time in my smartphone life, I am thinking of leaving BlackBerry for my next smartphone. the thought of not having an PKB I think is not good. but I'll manage.

I believe the newest Nokia devices are a great value for money. They are having the best and fastest updates and upgrades. Value for money. So I'll wait when the word is out BlackBerry Mobile will be officially dead and jump ship accordingly.
    09-09-19 11:59 AM
    For the first time in my smartphone life, I am thinking of leaving BlackBerry for my next smartphone. the thought of not having an PKB I think is not good. but I'll manage.

I believe the newest Nokia devices are a great value for money. They are having the best and fastest updates and upgrades. Value for money. So I'll wait when the word is out BlackBerry Mobile will be officially dead and jump ship accordingly.
    Same with me. I'm in the market now for a replacement for my K1. There's no way I'm going to blow a few hundred pounds on a new BB device without any kind of publicised commitment on updates. Nokia do seem to be making good VFM devices, albeit without a PKB.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    09-09-19 12:27 PM
    having key2's on display is a good sign that TCL hasn't abandoned the brand all together. They themselves have said they're happy with the brand's growth and understand it'll take time to grow it to where they want it. That was a statement made earlier this year 2019.

They've also openly stated that the brand is on a small hiatus because they "don't want to make a new phone just to make a new phone". they want to make one when it makes sense to make an upgrade.

Perhaps this 5G thing is for real and they're working on that and bbm is working on security concerns for it.
    09-09-19 12:39 PM
    Yep. [IMG=1610x835]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190909/46716f833212209bafed3190211facfb.jpg[/url]
    This doesn't say anything. Probably it's stipulated in the licensing agreement with BlackBerry they should have a stand there.

I think they'll be pulling the plug soon.
    John Albert likes this.
    09-09-19 05:41 PM
    This doesn't say anything. Probably it's stipulated in the licensing agreement with BlackBerry they should have a stand there.

I think they'll be pulling the plug soon.
    I wasn't implying that it did. Only that I was surprised.
    09-09-19 05:58 PM
    Over/under on those being the same devices from last year's IFA?
    09-09-19 07:45 PM
    Over/under on those being the same devices from last year's IFA?
    75% chance. Once the marketing department buys a display, it's packed up and shipped without edits. They prepaid for the booth space and needed to fill it.
    09-09-19 07:49 PM
54 123