I'd be interested to know how many of you opted to switch browsers and so sacrifice the convenience of some of the BlackBerry launcher functionalities. I for one switched to Nova which I enjoy SO much more in terms of customization. Some of the gestures are great too and so convenient. Some even argue that the browser's faster. Yet as a result using some of BlackBerry's key features becomes less convenient: speed key + letter is required for a shortcut (so a two-handed action). The convenience key still works but - on my phone at least - opens up some weird Nova shortcut window as well which I can't get rid of. Or You have to forego all the compose email/text message/add contact widgets.
    I wish BlackBerry would try to come up with a more highly customizable launcher.
    Last edited by Laramie50; 08-04-18 at 04:01 PM.
    08-04-18 08:58 AM
    Been down that rabbit hole for a while and ended up coming back to BlackBerry Launcher as I prefer to have things 'design intended' in general.

I agree though that the simplicity of the BlackBerry Launcher is now borderline starting to age even compared with some of the stock launchers out there.

How hard is it to get rid of the app drawer icon and replace it with a gesture, like most launchers do nowadays? let alone some may not even need it at all given the keyboard shortcuts.

I can go on and on, bottom line, it is dated in many areas IMO.
    @Ken Wallis
    Last edited by RK_BB; 08-04-18 at 05:10 PM.
    Laramie50 likes this.
    08-04-18 09:27 AM
    I run Yandex launcher after 4 years of Nova. much prefer it. good customisation and keeps my screen clean. same issue with the speed key so it's 2 hands for me to jump between apps but it's not much of an issue. my convenience key seems to work as it supposed to though
    Laramie50 likes this.
    08-04-18 09:39 AM
    aren't you concerned about using a yandex product?
    08-04-18 03:04 PM
    aren't you concerned about using a yandex product?
    I think I'll need more info for that question, is there an issue with Yandex? I haven't read or seen anything. I used it on my Pixel for a few months and loved it. Works great on my Key2 too. please explain
    08-05-18 11:46 AM
    OK, just read up and did some quick research on yandex, no, no concerns here. it's a good launcher and I switched from nova which I'd used for years.
    08-05-18 11:52 AM
    was gonna send you the link https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oping-on-users
    but you read it
    08-05-18 01:06 PM
    NSA also snoops on users and most similar authorities as well, a lot of big companies also, so there's no reason not to trust Yandex as they're no different. If you're very privacy-concious, then you need to avoid it. But if not, then they're no different from the rest, so...
    08-05-18 03:03 PM
    Anyway: I stick with the stock BlackBerry Launcher for now, but I will give the MS Launcher another go some time.
    08-05-18 03:03 PM
    I think in this day and age with all the access we give our mobile devices there isn't much secrecy in what we do. I'll always be a massive fan of Nova but yandex just feels so much more me. they're not gonna find much interesting about me.
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-05-18 03:14 PM
    Blackberry Launcher:
    2 Trackers (Google Ads, Google Firebase Analytics)
    34 Permissions
    Observed making no internet connections on its own (on a Blackberry in any case), but I suspect it calls back to blackberry via Blackberry Hub+ Services.

Nova Launcher Free:
    1 Tracker (Google Firebase Analytics)
    36 Permissions
    Observed contacting Crashlytics and if you check for updates Teslacoil (the developer)

Yandex Launcher:
    5 Trackers (AppMetrica, Facebook Ads, Facebook Login, Google Firebase Analytics, Yandex Ads)
    56 Permissions
    Observed contacting Google and Yandex servers to provide weather and app recommendation services

Microsoft Launcher:

3 Trackers (Adjust, Braze, Google Firebase Analytics)
    79 Permissions
    Observed connecting to Microsoft, Appboy, Arrowsmart.azurewebsites.net, Adjust, Hockey App, Bing

Simple App Launcher:
    0 Trackers
    0 Permission
    No Internet Connections
    Last edited by chetmanley; 08-05-18 at 05:32 PM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    08-05-18 04:54 PM
    The only design flaw in bb launcher is the lack of swipe down gesture to open notifications.
    I tried to switch to nova but I missed the keyboard shortcut feature, switched back in 5 hours
    08-07-18 05:06 AM
    The only design flaw in bb launcher is the lack of swipe down gesture to open notifications.
    I tried to switch to nova but I missed the keyboard shortcut feature, switched back in 5 hours
    I've been going back and forth too. The short/long press shortcuts are what I miss most as well; using two hands kind of defeat the purpose. But Nova's high degree of customization is truly great. Arhhhhh
    08-07-18 05:28 AM
    also the search bar in nova brings up bb search instead of google search... Had to disable it
    08-07-18 10:33 AM
    + swipe up to open the app drawer; remove the app drawer icon, that's 2001...

There is more but if they can just start here that will be great!
    @Ken Wallis

/blackberry-hub-plus-suite-f459/blackberry-launcher-improvement-suggestions-1109000/
    08-07-18 11:13 AM
    Please keep a watch for the next Launcher update. I will say no more.
    moosbb, Hphv, RK_BB and 4 others like this.
    08-07-18 11:37 AM
    Blackberry Launcher:
    2 Trackers (Google Ads, Google Firebase Analytics)
    34 Permissions
    Observed making no internet connections on its own (on a Blackberry in any case), but I suspect it calls back to blackberry via Blackberry Hub+ Services.

Nova Launcher Free:
    1 Tracker (Google Firebase Analytics)
    36 Permissions
    Observed contacting Crashlytics and if you check for updates Teslacoil (the developer)

Yandex Launcher:
    5 Trackers (AppMetrica, Facebook Ads, Facebook Login, Google Firebase Analytics, Yandex Ads)
    56 Permissions
    Observed contacting Google and Yandex servers to provide weather and app recommendation services

Microsoft Launcher:

3 Trackers (Adjust, Braze, Google Firebase Analytics)
    79 Permissions
    Observed connecting to Microsoft, Appboy, Arrowsmart.azurewebsites.net, Adjust, Hockey App, Bing

Simple App Launcher:
    0 Trackers
    0 Permission
    No Internet Connections

Where/How did you gather that information?
    08-07-18 12:38 PM
    Where/How did you gather that information?
    I guess that's Exodus privacy.
    We have that backed in on the Yalp store.
    08-07-18 01:05 PM
    I guess that's Exodus privacy.
    We have that backed in on the Yalp store.
    Yep, and connections monitored via netguard
    08-07-18 01:44 PM
    Please keep a watch for the next Launcher update. I will say no more.
    looking forward to it!
    08-07-18 03:30 PM
    @moosbb and @chetmanley thank you both!!
    08-07-18 05:57 PM
    What I miss from Nova that I would like to see in BlackBerry Launcher is:

1. Swipe to App Drawer. Allows for an extra Home screen icon.

2. An equivalent to 'Faster than light' for scrolling and animations. No delay. I want to navigate as fast as possible.

3. Ability to hide apps. This reduces visual clutter in the app drawer/groups.

4. Lock Home screen. Keeps the kids from reorganizing things
    RD-BB and floc like this.
    08-08-18 12:53 PM
    And the removal of Google Ads and Firebase Analytics trackers, of course. Dirty marks on an otherwise nice launcher.
    08-08-18 12:59 PM
    And the removal of Google Ads and Firebase Analytics trackers, of course. Dirty marks on an otherwise nice launcher.
    It appears that on a BB device, these trackers aren't active. Maybe someone with a non-bb can install BB launcher and test for the connections made.
    08-10-18 05:39 PM
    Sorry about a probably dumb question. I see that there is wide range of available icons, in Nova for instance. But how do you switch from a pre-installed icon to another of your choice? When I press on the icon I'd like to have, it just shows me a bigger version of it but no other option...
    08-15-18 01:53 AM
32 12