05-17-19 02:17 PM
179 ... 5678
tools
    Will do!

Perhaps the next step would be to eliminate the double tap as well given cursor mode is accessible from the extensions menu.

I will let you know if / when it comes back. So far so good.
    Please don't eliminate the double tap. Before you know it we'll basically be using key2 LE's if all the gestures get eliminated. I happen to like the swipe down for symbols FWIW.
    Wrec and Jake2826 like this.
    05-15-19 02:08 PM
    @LiamQ is the elimination of the swipe down gesture intended to also cure involuntary activations of the cursor mode?

So far I haven't experienced any since the update though as we learned the experience deteriorate over time, which we hope won't be the case with this version.
    I had involuntary cursor mode activated on my first attempt at testing. Hoping it was just pilot error. Hadn't seen involuntary cursor activation for months.
    @LiamQ, once again, thank you for your efforts, the SYM VKB swipe deactivation is a great improvement. Will continue testing and report back.
    dendron01 likes this.
    05-15-19 02:11 PM
    @dendron01 looks like the devs accepted your suggestion to make due with the swipe gesture down to reveal SYM VKB and with this update we'll no longer have those involuntary activations!!!

Once again, @LiamQ thank you very much for the continued development!

You can be sure that we shall keep testing and reporting our experience here.
    Excellent, can't wait to test it out! I hope the changes also help with predicted word swiping. Kudos to all who participated by providing feedback such as yourself, Bob, Think Business, Crusader etc. and to the the BlackBerry Devs for making these changes! A lot of work goes into it!
    @LiamQ
    Bob80220, Wrec and Crusader03 like this.
    05-15-19 02:18 PM
    Still very early, but have not had a recurrence of the involuntary cursor mode in 500+ words. Good sign. Will keep a close eye on it for the next couple of days.
    05-15-19 02:39 PM
    I don't think it will help with that, but let me know if you find otherwise.
    Still here. Just happened as I was typing a post in the CrackBerry app.

Please consider eliminating double tap as well given cursor mode is accessible from the extensions menu.
    05-15-19 04:27 PM
    Still here. Just happened as I was typing a post in the CrackBerry app.

Please consider eliminating double tap as well given cursor mode is accessible from the extensions menu.
    But not everyone uses the extensions menu (quick modes). Some people have quick modes deactivated. Double tap works great on Priv and Passport. Making it a triple tap might be acceptable as a bandaid solution.
    05-16-19 02:29 AM
    Just downloaded the keyboard app (beta) and testing now. I miss the swipe down for the symbol options but will adapt using the button instead. Still not one single swipe up issue of predicted words. double tap for cursor mode also works as it should. I have noticed that the D of double tap above did not capitalise after the period. Double press for the period is now working each and every time for me now.
    I will also test in other apps and email.
    05-16-19 04:52 AM
    I do see improvements but still far from all the things I mentioned in this post.

Please include hinglish language, can get it from Google keyboard.

Also bring customization options for theme, font etc.

The virtual keyboard is all over the place. As soon as you want to use another language with say English as primary one, it is very difficult to use predictions thereafter.

For me,

the keyboard app and predictions feel heavy to use.
    No support for hinglish language
    Random keywords getting all caps. Like pe to PE, kaam to KAAM.
    Random capitalization of first letter in the sentence. This is mostly for words other than English. E.g kya, hua, etc.
    Random correction of wrongly spelled words and sometimes showing right ones as wrong.
    Random Double space after a predicted word

At the same time, I find the app missing out on all the show and tell features,

Themes, font, additional dictionaries, gifs, etc. The layout also needs to give some options as bezel less phones are difficult to use with BlackBerry keyboard.

Have been requesting the team to use Google theme and Google font all over the apps as that would be comfortable going forward however it's all stuck in past now.

All these things are available from their partners in keyboard. Only thing is implementing them.

Wish I had predictions layout, swipe to delete gestures like BlackBerry on Google keyboard as they have a very strong predictions engine especially for English and Hinglish together.
    05-16-19 06:16 AM
    I just been trying some typing out and this is best I have ever seen swiping. Wow that is impressive. Actually kind of fun now. This is awesome. I barely have to swipe to get it to go. Very slight gesture. Now to check out the spell check or rather auto correct. It has given me grief last few days.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-16-19 06:38 AM
    Been testing some more on WhatsApp and my emails now today and haven't encountered any swipe up issues or double press of the space bar not inserting periods.
    The pkb is now a joy to use.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-16-19 01:42 PM
    Well, after a couple of days for the Keyboard update to settle, I can report that I have not had a further occurrence of involuntary "Cursor Mode" activation. The typing experience (although I do not swipe much) is getting very close to what a BlackBerry typing experience should be. Waited 10 months for a stable keyboard, and we are now very close. Have typed over 1000+ words since update. Not having the SYM VKB involuntarily pop up every second sentence is so joyful
    elfabio80, RK_BB and Wrec like this.
    05-16-19 02:16 PM
    Well, after a couple of days for the Keyboard update to settle, I can report that I have not had a further occurrence of involuntary "Cursor Mode" activation.
    We are certainly getting somewhere it seems though I wish I could have reported the same regarding involuntary cursor mode activation.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-16-19 02:40 PM
    I really hope @LiamQ can implement a toggle on/off function for a few of the capacitive keyboard functions. That would solve all issues and individual users could choose what to enable and disable. This should be possible, no?
    Wrec and RK_BB like this.
    05-16-19 02:44 PM
    I really hope @LiamQ can implement a toggle on/off function for a few of the capacitive keyboard functions. That would solve all issues and individual users could choose what to enable and disable. This should be possible, no?
    Hopefully! They just issued a survey, the results of which will determine the way this will go.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-16-19 02:54 PM
    Hopefully! They just issued a survey, the results of which will determine the way this will go.
    Yes, just submitted mine. Hopefully Liam can give us some insight as to the feasibility.
    RK_BB and hamilgs like this.
    05-16-19 02:58 PM
    I can see why it would be difficult to implement.

This kind of (on/off) logic is very difficult to incorporate. When you incorporate a toggle, you're not really turning off the gesture. You're really leaving it on with a gated function as to the reaction behavior. There may really be an issue with the recognition of the gesture, which is an even harder problem to solve.

All this says nothing of the Android settings menu already being stupid convoluted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's possible. But is the difficulty worth it?
    05-16-19 03:06 PM
    I can see why it would be difficult to implement.

This kind of (on/off) logic is very difficult to incorporate. When you incorporate a toggle, you're not really turning off the gesture. You're really leaving it on with a gated function as to the reaction behavior. There may really be an issue with the recognition of the gesture, which is an even harder problem to solve.

All this says nothing of the Android settings menu already being stupid convoluted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's possible. But is the difficulty worth it?
    It most certainly is for all highly effected devices and the SYM VKB popping up every few sentences makes the experience very unproductive and highly unpleasant.
    05-16-19 03:17 PM
    I'm no expert, but it seems like a toggle for keyboard gestures would be tough to implement at this stage of the Key2. I could see them doing something like this on the next blackberry, if there is one. I sure hope there is, toggle or not.
    05-16-19 03:39 PM
    I'm no expert, but it seems like a toggle for keyboard gestures would be tough to implement at this stage of the Key2. I could see them doing something like this on the next blackberry, if there is one. I sure hope there is, toggle or not.
    I would definately support a K3. Although it doesn't look promising as we are only hearing !
    05-16-19 03:43 PM
    I will have to say I never really thought they would attempt to remedy these issues. For me all negative response from keyboard is gone. I even am able to use swipe words with success not that it actually saves me time. I can touch the word quicker. I just do it to see it works good enough or has not gone back to swipe 5 times.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    05-16-19 05:07 PM
    Will do!

Perhaps the next step would be to eliminate the double tap as well given cursor mode is accessible from the extensions menu.

I will let you know if / when it comes back. So far so good.
    In my opinion it's always best to have toggles in the settings to allow the user to turn on or off certain features or functionality.

In the case of the gestures and the PKB this could be settings to allow turning on/off the swipe down for SYM screen

and maybe also the double tap for that matter.

Giving the end user the freedom of choice is always the preferred way I think.
    Bob80220, hamilgs, RK_BB and 3 others like this.
    05-17-19 02:46 AM
    I wanted to report my findings @LiamQ regarding the swiping of predicted words after installing the Beta BlackBerry Keyboard App I received this week... Last version received is May 15, Version 4.1904.0.16645.

I do find the swiping of predicted words improved... especially in comparison to what I was experiencing since purchasing my KEY2 in October. Yes, these Beta updates do appear to be providing a better swiping experience but it is far from flawless in comparison to what I was experiencing with my PRIV... and still do today.

As has been mentioned by RK_BB, using the flatter/larger part of the thumb does provide much more consistent swiping of predicted words as opposed to the tip of the thumb. Speed of my swiping does not have any adverse affect from what I can tell. When a missed swiped does occur, the keyboard will hang up and a backspace corrects and I can continue typing and swiping.

Again, it appears things are moving in a positive direction considering where this swiping issue was months ago. I appreciate your efforts LiamQ and hopefully you will be able to fully resolve the swiping of predicted words in a future Beta Keyboard update.

Bob
    dendron01 likes this.
    05-17-19 09:50 AM
    If you can have it, the dictionary and the hint methods are not as accurate as on Passport. There, I could write in the dark and here you need to control this keyboard strongly because you can write nonsense. I would really like the improvement of the current keyboard in K2 to go somewhat towards the intelligence of the dictionary in individual languages. You can not forget about anyone or forget about anything. You have to remember that the keyboard is a K2 business card and current BBMO phones.
    05-17-19 10:13 AM
    Giving the end user the freedom of choice is always the preferred way I think.
    Well, that's something Apple isn't really known for. And yet they have the only ecosystem outside of Google's that made it. Go figure.

Maybe most consumers don't even want to have options and prefer to "settle"?
    05-17-19 11:52 AM
    Well, that's something Apple isn't really known for. And yet they have the only ecosystem outside of Google's that made it. Go figure.

Maybe most consumers don't even want to have options and prefer to "settle"?
    The marketing machines of Apple and Samsung are almost insurmountable for any other Premium slab as Google is finding out. Now that Google has the more affordable Pixel line and on all carriers but AT&T I think they have the opportunity to be really disruptive. Its going to affect Motorola and their G series as well.

After using my dad's they are going to disrupt all the premium market as well. He just traded in two older 6s 16GB iPhones for a 3a and 3aXL. (Google gave him a 250 dollar credit for each) They are all anyone really needs if you want a slab all touch. The cameras are excellent as is the build and a user will know updates will be monthly and with 3 OS versions.

I would really like BlackBerry Mobile to stay on the Key2 LE path but with upgraded internals, refinements and exceptional camera for the Key3 and get into US carriers good graces. Follow Google with 3 OS versions and years of updates and they could and then would be any users option for a secure PKB device.

The 3a and 3a XL are going to do very well for Google here in US. They may already be having an effect. I just received my Costco advertisement and for both Verizon and T-Mobile they are offering 200 dollars off the new S10 with activation. 629 and 649 respectively for each carrier @ Costco phone center kiosks.
    05-17-19 12:14 PM
179 ... 5678