I will test it

What's your own experience?
    I am experiencing improved performance though not perfect, as you mentioned in your assessment below.

Like you, I believe it's software related* and more specifically, word prediction mechanism related.

Given I have many word prediction features turned off and I can notice a definitive improvement I am thinking its that part of the software that bogs the swiping experience down.

*anyone that says their device is perfect and have no issues either doesn't use word prediction swiping or doesn't understand how it should work.
    Last edited by RK_BB; 05-26-19 at 09:47 PM.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-26-19 11:25 AM
    Any affected user of word prediction swipe up, please try the following setup:

Turn On: Show virtual keyboard
    Turn Off: Prefer on key prediction

Start swiping and report your experienceBlackBerry keyboard update in Play Store-screenshot_20190526-191203.jpgBlackBerry keyboard update in Play Store-screenshot_20190526-191223.jpeg
    05-26-19 09:16 PM
    anyone that says their device is perfect and have no issues either doesn't use word prediction swiping or doesn't understand how it should Work.
    ^^^ This...

Bob
    05-26-19 09:24 PM
    Any affected user of word prediction swipe up, please try the following setup:

Turn On: Show virtual keyboard
    Turn Off: Prefer on key prediction

Start swiping and report your experienceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190526-191203.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	444598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190526-191223.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	444599
    Looks like this setup have a positive effect. My assumption is that the software "confuse" 'On key prediction' with tabbed prediction.

As soon as 'On key prediction" is turned off swiping performance seem to improve.

You can go ahead and turn Off "Show virtual keyboard"

Please continue testing and report your findings.
    05-27-19 12:17 AM
    @LiamQ

I developed the following thesis in my attempt to isolate the cause for the intermittent performance of the predicted words swipe up gesture.

I am finding that performance is significantly improved when "Prefer on key prediction" is turned Off.

I am thinking that much like the involuntary activations of Cursor Mode and SYM VKB (to which you are developing On/Off controls), there are involuntary activations of the LETTER VKB though the user is unable to see it given the VKB is suppressed by these OS level settings: Physical keyboard\Show virtual keyboard, set to the Off position.

Every time there is an involuntary LETTER VKB activation in the background and "Prefer on key prediction" is turned On a PKB swipe up will not register as the predicted word is theoretically on the respective VKB key rather than on the prediction tab.

When "Prefer on key prediction" is turned Off prediction then stays on the prediction tab and therefore swipe up is recognized even during a background involuntary activation of the LETTER VKB.

Swiping performance is even better with "Show virtual keyboard" turned On which basically bypass the glitch I am speculating the software has and if that's the case it actually completely prove my thesis.

In order to test this theory as a developer, I would disable the forced suppression settings of the VKB and turn it into a rule: IF PKB is used THEN suppress VKB. If you see involuntary activations of the VKB then the above thesis will be proven.

I hope this make sense! Would appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by RK_BB; 05-27-19 at 10:47 PM.
    Bob80220 and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-27-19 04:16 PM
    Having toggled off Prefer On Screen Predictions based on @RK_BB making that suggestion to me, I can confirm the swiping of predicted words is much more consistent and damn near flawless. What issues I might have, particularly with the middle word swiping, I am trying to determine if it's an error on my part with thumb placement. The left and right word swiping is perfect now. On the rare instance I need a 2nd swipe for a middle word appears to be user caused. I need to do more testing for this however.

Bob
    05-27-19 05:13 PM
    Having toggled off Prefer On Screen Predictions based on @RK_BB making that suggestion to me, I can confirm the swiping of predicted words is much more consistent and damn near flawless. What issues I might have, particularly with the middle word swiping, I am trying to determine if it's an error on my part with thumb placement. The left and right word swiping is perfect now. On the rare instance I need a 2nd swipe for a middle word appears to be user caused. I need to do more testing for this however.

Bob
    Thumb placement I too have found needs to be very precise. In my case, when I do need "Cursor Mode" a double tap fails most of the time unless my thumb is completely flat to the PKB.
    05-27-19 05:23 PM
    In my case, when I do need "Cursor Mode" a double tap fails most of the time unless my thumb is completely flat to the PKB.
    Good find!
    05-27-19 05:46 PM
    Seems like the keyboard settings are way too crowded. Perhaps we need a separate app for the vkb and pkb. Why is there even an "on key" prediction for a pkb device...does that even make sense?
    05-27-19 06:46 PM
    Why is there even an "on key" prediction for a pkb device...does that even make sense?
    This setting option is for the VKB, not the PKB though it may have some affect on the PKB word prediction swipe gesture performance.
    05-27-19 09:48 PM
    Looking forward to another beta from LiamQ. maybe this info can also help. after locking the phone a couple of times and opening the CB app it's like a pattern that after typing the first words to create a post almost always I need a second and third swipe. After that it's better but this is really like a pattern. Seems like the first time after the phone has been locked for a while and you immediately start typing a text the keyboard driver is still "warming up" . Don't know if it can help in pinpointing LiamQ in the right direction towards perfect performance.
    05-29-19 01:18 PM
    @LiamQ pursuant to post # 280 above, we tested a K1 running Oreo with the "Prefer on key prediction" turned off and while we can notice swipe up performance improvement it is still not perfect with the middle word requiring several swipe up gestures before it registers.

This further support that this issue is software related.

Looking forward to your feedback!
    05-29-19 02:28 PM
    Looking at the code, I don't think that the "Prefer on key prediction" setting should have any impact on the keyboard swipe up gestures.
    05-29-19 04:29 PM
    Looking at the code, I don't think that the "Prefer on key prediction" setting should have any impact on the keyboard swipe up gestures.
    Thank you for looking into it! A complete mystery though as several users report improved performance. A placebo effect perhaps?

The frustrating part is not being able to develop a recurring pattern in which a swipe up will not register and therefore this bug is not consistently reproducible which makes it impossible to isolate from user perspective.

It's important to note that when "Prefer on key prediction" is turned Off typing and swiping using the VKB is absolutely flawless which to me point to the PKB keypad engine getting "choked" every now and again given the software does what it's supposed to do...
    05-29-19 04:59 PM
    Ok, I upgraded to version 16654, will provide my feedback in a few days.
    Thanks!
    Well, the problem is still there, unfortunately.
    From time to time the pkb stops recognizing the double-clicks...
    05-29-19 05:28 PM
    @LiamQ is it possible that Chrome Webview is the culprit that cause swipes to appear as if they are missed though in actuality Webview hang which cause a split second freeze?

If that's the case then it's probably worth checking what changed in Webview between Android 6 to 7 given the Priv is reported to provide for a flawless experience whereas issues started with the K1 being on Android 7 and continue with the K1 and K2 on Android 8.
    05-29-19 07:58 PM
    @LiamQ is it possible that Chrome Webview is the culprit that cause swipes to appear as if they are missed though in actuality Webview hang which cause a split second freeze?
    When you're composing email in BlackBerry Hub+ Inbox, the message body uses a WebView while the message subject does not. So you can try both fields to see if it feels different.
    RK_BB and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-30-19 11:24 AM
    When you're composing email in BlackBerry Hub+ Inbox, the message body uses a WebView while the message subject does not. So you can try both fields to see if it feels different.
    Any insight in why a "deep" 32 second reboot also seems to "reset" the device well enough to give a better experience after the swiping success ratio degraded over time is also something that should be looked into.

Case: installed keyboard beta. performance improvement. degradation over time (needing more second swipe gestures). 32 second reboot. better performance again.

after normal phone use with regular locking and unlocking - the swiping starts to degrade again.

32 second reboot helps.

of course we can't be doing these kind of reboots all of the time.

Somehow the other OS processes interfere with the keyboard. Just now I had an alert coming in from another app and immediately after that I needed to swipe 3 times for the middle word suggestion.

could be a coincidence but something tells me there is a correlation.
    05-30-19 11:44 AM
    Somehow the other OS processes interfere with the keyboard. Just now I had an alert coming in from another app and immediately after that I needed to swipe 3 times for the middle word suggestion.
    Ha! How about testing the keypad in Airplane Mode? That way no notifications will come in and perhaps background services are disabled? How about Safe Mode?
    05-30-19 11:51 AM
    Ha! How about testing the keypad in Airplane Mode? That way no notifications will come in and perhaps background services are disabled? How about Safe Mode?
    Might be a valuable test case. I'm on it.
    RK_BB and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-30-19 11:59 AM
    Might be a valuable test case. I'm on it.
    I just tested it using Airplane Mode and had several missed swipes.
    05-30-19 12:28 PM
    We're hoping to have it in beta by the end of May.
    Can we still expect this by the end of the month (today / tomorrow)?
    05-30-19 12:54 PM
    Can we still expect this by the end of the month (today / tomorrow)?
    Tomorrow is my goal, but it's tight. Don't be mad if it ends up being next week instead.
    05-30-19 01:00 PM
    Tomorrow is my goal, but it's tight. Don't be mad if it ends up being next week instead.
    Never ever mad, not at all. I truly appreciate all your efforts, your continued communication and listening to inputs. I am sure many others here feel the same.

Looking forward to the next release!
    05-30-19 01:05 PM
    Would it include the "Toggle for Capacitive Functions"? SYM Swipe? Thanks,
    05-30-19 01:25 PM
417 ... 1011121314 ...