While I'm thinking of it... any update @falbo with your typing and swiping of predicted words? Is it still performing without issue as you initially experienced or has it deteriorated as I and others experienced?

Bob
    Hi Bob
    No issues with the swipe up so far. I have sent a number of emails today and can say I certainly hope that it stays this way. I have also checked it out with WhatsApp and my text message app without fail.
    The only gripe / fault I could find is the double tap of the space bar doesn't insert a full stop in the WhatsApp message app but it does everywhere else. The space bar double tap issue was also present before I joined the beta program.
    I have never encountered the symbol/ cursor issue.
    I will monitor this over the next couple of days.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    05-14-19 11:41 AM
    Hi Bob
    No issues with the swipe up so far. I have sent a number of emails today and can say I certainly hope that it stays this way. I have also checked it out with WhatsApp and my text message app without fail.
    The only gripe / fault I could find is the double tap of the space bar doesn't insert a full stop in the WhatsApp message app but it does everywhere else. The space bar double tap issue was also present before I joined the beta program.
    I have never encountered the symbol/ cursor issue.
    I will monitor this over the next couple of days.
    Interesting. So no extra swiping whatsoever? Do you use it much?

What's your phone build date?
    05-14-19 11:54 AM
    Interesting. So no extra swiping whatsoever? Do you use it much?

What's your phone build date?
    That's correct no extra swiping whatsoever.
    Yes I use the swipe up feature all the time as I find it's quicker and easier to use.
    Build date is August 2018.
    05-14-19 11:59 AM
    That's correct no extra swiping whatsoever.
    Yes I use the swipe up feature all the time as I find it's quicker and easier to use.
    Build date is August 2018.
    Are you on the latest build? Pffff just needed a second swipe in this last sentence.
    05-14-19 12:02 PM
    Are you on the latest build? Pffff just needed a second swipe in this last sentence.
    Yes. And just joined the beta update program in the last few days.
    Hopefully this will be the normal and that it will not deteriorate over time.
    05-14-19 12:08 PM
    Yes. And just joined the beta update program in the last few days.
    Hopefully this will be the normal and that it will not deteriorate over time.
    This question might strike as odd yet trust me, relevant:

With what part of your thumb do you swipe up predicted words? The tip or the pillow?
    05-14-19 12:22 PM
    This question might strike as odd yet trust me, relevant:

With what part of your thumb do you swipe up predicted words? The tip or the pillow?
    Yes that is an odd question ;-)
    As I couldn't properly answer that question without typing I can say a bit of both as I have on this post. Left thumb mostly the tip and right thumb the pad mostly. But how could that make any difference to an issue with the swipe up function ?
    05-14-19 12:42 PM
    Yes that is an odd question ;-)
    As I couldn't properly answer that question without typing I can say a bit of both as I have on this post. Left thumb mostly the tip and right thumb the pad mostly. But how could that make any difference to an issue with the swipe up function ?
    It does and it can only be proven whenever a predicted word swipe fails.

Apparently, changing the position of the thumb and re-attempting a swipe using the pillow of the thumb seem to be working as a workaround.
    05-14-19 12:45 PM
    That does sound strange however as the beta update has fixed my pkb swiping at least for now I can't think of any change to my thumb swiping movements.
    05-14-19 12:50 PM
    I wonder if it would be possible to have the option of individually toggling on/off certain capacitive functions of the PKB while retaining the rest? For example, if I could toggle the SYM VKB off, then my typing experience would be near perfect. Is this at all possible @LiamQ? Thanks again for all your and your teams efforts to date,
    05-14-19 01:53 PM
    @LiamQ

There is another workaround to a failed predicted word swipe up:

Reposition the thumb and re-swipe with the pillow of the thumb (the flat part) thereby covering a wider gesturing area.

So we basically have two workarounds every time a predicted word swipe up fails:

1. Thumb reposition, re-attempt
    2. Hit the Back key to close the word prediction tab, press the Backspace (delete) to reopen the word prediction tab, re-attempt

This is as conclusive as we are able to observe from a casual user stand point and though it is impossible to reproduce a failed swipe, we can at least use any of these workaround which perhaps can help direct you as to the root cause of this issue, whether software (app / OS) or hardware related.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    05-14-19 05:14 PM
    @LiamQ

There is another workaround to a failed predicted word swipe up:

Reposition the thumb and re-swipe with the pillow of the thumb (the flat part) thereby covering a wider gesturing area.

So we basically have two workarounds every time a predicted word swipe up fails:

1. Thumb reposition, re-attempt
    2. Hit the Back key to close the word prediction tab, press the Backspace (delete) to reopen the word prediction tab, re-attempt

This is as conclusive as we are able to observe from a casual user stand point and though it is impossible to reproduce a failed swipe, we can at least use any of these workaround which perhaps can help direct you as to the root cause of this issue, whether software (app / OS) or hardware related.
    Having worked with @RK_BB and his findings that he brought to my attention, I can attest to what he has mentioned... 👍

Bob
    05-14-19 05:20 PM
    The virtual keyboard is all over the place. As soon as you want to use another language with say English as primary one, it is very difficult to use predictions thereafter.

For me,

the keyboard app and predictions feel heavy to use.
    No support for hinglish language
    Random keywords getting all caps. Like pe to PE, kaam to KAAM.
    Random capitalization of first letter in the sentence. This is mostly for words other than English. E.g kya, hua, etc.
    Random correction of wrongly spelled words and sometimes showing right ones as wrong.
    Random Double space after a predicted word

At the same time, I find the app missing out on all the show and tell features,

Themes, font, additional dictionaries, gifs, etc. The layout also needs to give some options as bezel less phones are difficult to use with BlackBerry keyboard.

Have been requesting the team to use Google theme and Google font all over the apps as that would be comfortable going forward however it's all stuck in past now.

All these things are available from their partners in keyboard. Only thing is implementing them.

Wish I had predictions layout, swipe to delete gestures like BlackBerry on Google keyboard as they have a very strong predictions engine especially for English and Hinglish together.
    05-15-19 03:18 AM
    The last update introduced a backspace issue: sometimes, it's "stuck" or something like that causing half a sentence to dissapear when you press the key once instead of removing one letter like it's supposed to. On the PKB, that is.
    05-15-19 12:13 PM
    I see 👀 a new keyboard update on the playstore today however I think I will wait for a few reviews before updating.
    05-15-19 12:49 PM
    I see a new keyboard update on the playstore today however I think I will wait for a few reviews before updating.
    I'm on the BETA program and don't see it. Anyone else on BETA received it? What time did it drop?
    05-15-19 12:58 PM
    Correction.

Scratch that, update is there although I needed to go into BETA apps and update from there. Let's see what this brings. Cheers,
    05-15-19 01:01 PM
    @dendron01 looks like the devs accepted your suggestion to make due with the swipe gesture down to reveal SYM VKB and with this update we'll no longer have those involuntary activations!!!

Once again, @LiamQ thank you very much for the continued development!

You can be sure that we shall keep testing and reporting our experience here.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-15-19 01:02 PM
    Just installed the Beta Keyboard App and I'm testing it out... so far I'm experiencing excellent typing and swiping of predicted words... 👍

Hopefully it will hold and not deteriorate with use. Thanks @LiamQ for all your effort and time to work on the keyboard software... much appreciated!!!

Bob
    05-15-19 01:12 PM
    @LiamQ is the elimination of the swipe down gesture intended to also cure involuntary activations of the cursor mode?

So far I haven't experienced any since the update though as we learned the experience deteriorate over time, which we hope won't be the case with this version.
    05-15-19 01:15 PM
    hmmm, did we have a vote on that? I actually like the swipe down for the symbol screen, although I dislike when it pops up on it's own out of the blue.

in fact I wish BBMO would produce a Passport-like device with a three-row keyboard with the swipe-down for symbols. that was a good kb. never had an issue with the symbol screen popping up unwantedly.

Is there a setting to you allow you to turn the swipe-down gesture on/off?
    05-15-19 01:15 PM
    @LiamQ is the elimination of the swipe down gesture intended to also cure involuntary activations of the cursor mode?
    I don't think it will help with that, but let me know if you find otherwise.
    05-15-19 01:45 PM
    I don't think it will help with that, but let me know if you find otherwise.
    Will do!

Perhaps the next step would be to eliminate the double tap as well given cursor mode is accessible from the extensions menu.

I will let you know if / when it comes back. So far so good.
    05-15-19 01:46 PM
    hmmm, did we have a vote on that? I actually like the swipe down for the symbol screen, although I dislike when it pops up on it's own out of the blue.

in fact I wish BBMO would produce a Passport-like device with a three-row keyboard with the swipe-down for symbols. that was a good kb. never had an issue with the symbol screen popping up unwantedly.

Is there a setting to you allow you to turn the swipe-down gesture on/off?
    There isn't a setting. The KEYone did not support swiping down for the symbol screen, and given the complaints about the swipe down gesture here, it seemed best to make the KEY2 behave the same as the KEYone.

If we get too many complaints about removing the swipe down gesture, we may put it back.
    anon(10387168), Vistaus and RK_BB like this.
    05-15-19 01:51 PM
    There isn't a setting. The KEYone did not support swiping down for the symbol screen, and given the complaints about the swipe down gesture here, it seemed best to make the KEY2 behave the same as the KEYone.

If we get too many complaints about removing the swipe down gesture, we may put it back.
    Thanks for the update.

I do remember being surprised when I first swiped-down on the Key2 and the symbol screen popped up. Took me back to the Passport days Priv had it too.

I'll get used to using the symbol key, but I do find the swipe-down more convenient and intuitive, suppose I got used to it with the Passport.

Speaking of the Passport, I suppose that's what BBMo's new rumored phone will be, a passport wannabe, any idea when it will be released ?
    05-15-19 02:00 PM
417 ... 45678 ...