Just tested a shortish message using WhatsApp and again had no issues with the swipe up for suggested words. Fingers crossed for now.
    It will be interesting to see if your experience swiping lasts or if it deteriorates like it did for me and others over use. Please keep us posted @falbo.

Bob
    falbo likes this.
    05-12-19 02:17 PM
    It will be interesting to see if your experience swiping lasts or if it deteriorates like it did for me and others over use. Please keep us posted @falbo.

Bob
    Will definitely keep you posted. Thanks Bob.
    05-12-19 02:19 PM
    Evernote seem to be one of those apps where the keyboard behaves beautifully.

CrackBerry, Hub & WhatsApp is where I find the keyboard acting up.
    I will download evernote to see if I can confirm.
    05-12-19 02:21 PM
    Evernote seem to be one of those apps where the keyboard behaves beautifully.

CrackBerry, Hub & WhatsApp is where I find the keyboard acting up.
    So it’s app issue with specific apps?? Serious question... asking for myself.
    05-12-19 02:54 PM
    Undetermined Chuck... but some of us are having perfect or near perfect swiping of predicted words in some apps.

This is something we are very curious about as to why that might be.

Bob
    05-12-19 02:57 PM
    Undetermined Chuck... but some of us are having perfect or near perfect swiping of predicted words in some apps.

This is something we are very curious about as to why that might be.

Bob
    I’m serious with earlier comment. This are the kind of explanations that fascinate me. As in, would explain lack of data points with others users maybe etc...

I’m usually the smart arse, but really I never saw the app usage cause/effect possibilities. I appreciate logic analysis
    05-12-19 03:06 PM
    I’m usually the smart arse
    You said it Chuck... not me... 😂

Bob
    05-12-19 03:09 PM
    Well at least the general typing performance seems to differ from app to app. I had a longer WhatsApp conversation today and the input lag got pretty noticable again. I can't comment on how the swipe up gesture performs, because I have already disabled word suggestions in hope to simply get a slightly better performance.
    05-12-19 08:53 PM
    I’m serious with earlier comment. This are the kind of explanations that fascinate me. As in, would explain lack of data points with others users maybe etc...

I’m usually the smart arse, but really I never saw the app usage cause/effect possibilities. I appreciate logic analysis
    To be clear, the PKB issues happen in all apps, some apps misbehave more than others. It's like our finger print spacebar, sometimes fumbles to unlock phone, yet in all other applications it is almost flawless.
    05-12-19 10:25 PM
    I just tried something we haven't tried before..:

Immediately after a predicted word swipe up is missed swipe down in order to open the SYM VKB and you will see that it doesn't work which means that the entire gesturing mechanism fail or pause.

I am pretty certain the same will apply for swipe to delete....
    And here how you can release the keyboard from hanging and successfully swipe up the predicted word again:

Simply delete the last entered letter and swipe up the desired predicted word.

Works like a charm and once more shows that something with the software simply hang hence swiping fails.
    05-12-19 10:41 PM
    And here how you can release the keyboard from hanging and successfully swipe up the predicted word again:

Simply delete the last entered letter and swipe up the desired predicted word.

Works like a charm and once more shows that something with the software simply hang hence swiping fails.
    Scratch that....doesn't seem to always work. Perhaps turning the screen On and Off?
    05-12-19 10:47 PM
    it seems pretty good. it doesn't always work though. I have noticed that you have to be gentle swiping up on the keyboard. suppose practice makes perfect. the actual prediction of words is great.
    05-12-19 11:10 PM
    What I am very curious about, and maybe this is a question @LiamQ can answer, why does the swiping of predicted words with this Beta update deteriorate over time with extended use?
    When you find that swiping has deteriorated, could you try rebooting your device to see if it's noticeably better after the reboot? I realize that isn't a great long-term solution; I'm just looking to narrow down the problem.
    05-13-19 11:36 AM
    When you find that swiping has deteriorated, could you try rebooting your device to see if it's noticeably better after the reboot? I realize that isn't a great long-term solution; I'm just looking to narrow down the problem.
    I will reboot the device and type a text of about 200 words today and tomorrow after a full day of use without rebooting. Will report the results.
    05-13-19 12:13 PM
    First feedback. I rebooted and was able to type a text of about 200 words with no need for extra swiping in the journey journal app.

However I found that after locking and unlocking the phone the swiping already started degrading.

For what it's worth. Might help.
    05-13-19 12:32 PM
    I have done a hard reboot/32 seconds, and I've also cleared the keyboard cache @LiamQ. Unfortunately whatever positive results I experienced were short term.

Bob
    05-13-19 01:35 PM
    @LiamQ is it possible that Android automatic memory management is messing with the keyboard software? The Priv in comparison had Android M in which automatic memory management was not part of the OS which perhaps is the reason users report a flawless experience.
    05-13-19 01:47 PM
    @LiamQ is it possible that Android automatic memory management is messing with the keyboard software? The Priv in comparison had Android M in which automatic memory management was not part of the OS which perhaps is the reason users report a flawless experience.
    That's it .....!!!!!!!!!!

OK

I really have no idea. But, this again is the kind of stuff that's very intriguing but, only in the non-conspiracy intrigue.
    Ben xfg likes this.
    05-13-19 02:07 PM
    I also think the Keyone provided a better (software) experience running Android Nougat (or Android 7) than the Key 2 provides with Android Oreo (or Android 8). I am no way a software engineer or a programmer, nor I have any deeper insights into Android as an OS, however I can't help but thinking something changed over the past two major Android versions which hampers the BlackBerry Keyboard app in terms of performance and reliability.

Edit:
    I have done a standard restart, pressing the power button and selecting "restart" - however if there was any improvement, it was very very shortlived and the input went back to the usual state.
    Thinkbusiness likes this.
    05-13-19 02:11 PM
    @LiamQ I found a way to relaunch the software once it fails:

Whenever a predicted word swipe doesn't register (the software hang) simply hit the Back key; this will close the predictions tab. Now enter the next letter in the word followed by a swipe.

It seems to me that it's the word prediction mechanism that seemingly goes to sleep (fail), hence closing it (by way of tapping the Back key) and re-opening it does the magic.

Word prediction was one of the biggest portions of the keyboard app that just got recently updated ever since when we noticed the significant leaps and bounds forward in performance.
    Last edited by RK_BB; 05-13-19 at 08:36 PM.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    05-13-19 07:33 PM
    @LiamQ I found a way to relaunch the software once it fails:

Whenever a predicted word swipe doesn't register (the software hang) simply hit the Back key; this will close the predictions tab. Now enter the next letter in the word followed by a swipe.
    Yep... @RK_BB brought this to my attention and I've tried it when I get a missed swipe of a predicted word. It most definitely corrects and you can then continue on with the swipe of the previous missed word selection.

Perhaps this information will be beneficial to you @LiamQ.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 05-13-19 at 08:04 PM.
    05-13-19 07:53 PM

It seems to me that it's the word prediction mechanism that seemingly goes to sleep (fail), hence closing it (by way of tapping the Back key) and re-opening it does the magic.
    ^^^ This...

Bob
    RK_BB likes this.
    05-13-19 08:48 PM
    Progress I hope?
    05-14-19 10:05 AM
    Progress I hope?
    Hopefully LiamQ is working on finding a solution with the information we have provided him. Waiting on a new version of the Beta keyboard app...

Bob
    05-14-19 10:17 AM
    While I'm thinking of it... any update @falbo with your typing and swiping of predicted words? Is it still performing without issue as you initially experienced or has it deteriorated as I and others experienced?

Bob
    05-14-19 10:25 AM
417 ... 34567 ...