Maybe not. TCL have their hands in a lot of different electronics and technologies. They also seem to be working on perfecting "Built to order (BTO)"/ "Just in time (JIT)" supply chain management. Who's to say they couldn't drop a unique device every 3 years to a niche market (who typically holds on to their devices longer... like BlackBerry users) and rake in fairly hefty profits under such a model? Especially since this is only part of their business, not all of it. I'm betting they have a pretty good parts bin these days...

Of course, they would need to support the older products in between time to keep customers from fleeing, and with that there is an expense. Just thinking out loud...
    I think it could be done too - but they'd have to eliminate their existing BBMo management and infrastructure, and pull the product line into their existing Alcatel structure completely.

I believe there are signs that that is actually occurring.
    06-13-19 08:06 AM
    I think it could be done too - but they'd have to eliminate their existing BBMo management and infrastructure, and pull the product line into their existing Alcatel structure completely.

I believe there are signs that that is actually occurring.
    I'm not familiar with current management, but if there is dead weight and lack of vision and leadership, then yes, it needs to be addressed.

Would bringing BBMo into Alcatel dilute the BlackBerry brand? (Not sure if this is even relevant at this point in the game with consumers)

I didn't realize BlackBerry devices were built separately from Alcatel devices. That makes a big difference.
    06-13-19 08:12 AM
    I'm not familiar with current management, but if there is dead weight and lack of vision and leadership, then yes, it needs to be addressed.

Would bringing BBMo into Alcatel dilute the BlackBerry brand? (Not sure if this is even relevant at this point in the game with consumers)

I didn't realize BlackBerry devices were built separately from Alcatel devices. That makes a big difference.
    They are built in the same facilities, but there is a separate management structure for the business.
    Last edited by conite; 06-13-19 at 08:38 AM.
    06-13-19 08:15 AM
    2 Teslas and 3 year old phones? That is just so wrong!
    He works in tech, has 2 Teslas, a half dozen high-end bicycles, and an iPhone 6 that's had at least three cracked screens he replaced himself.

He and I agree that phones just aren't interesting, and, so long as a devive runs the software you need, there's not much reason to upgrade, because there's no practical task a newer phone does that the older one doesn't.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-13-19 08:37 AM
    And don't you think the quality should be much better for, let's call it "custom shop"?
    Especially when you think about the high price?
    I'm a guitarist. And I have 2 high priced guitars from PRS guitars.
    When I buy a PRS guitar I know I will open the case and in there is a perfect instrument.
    Everything is well crafted, no issues, just perfect.
    Also high priced boutique quantities.
    There the price is in relation for what I get.
    I don't see this with a Blackberry android mobile.
    You’re getting the best PKB Android device made that’s running secure BBAndroid OS as well...

I’m sure the PRS guitar could offer something even more premium. It chooses not to until it’s necessary and profitable.

I have the sweetest air guitar you’ve never seen BTW and I’d send pics....however, well, you understand..
    06-13-19 10:31 AM
    You’re getting the best PKB Android device made that’s running secure BBAndroid OS as well...

I’m sure the PRS guitar could offer something even more premium. It chooses not to until it’s necessary and profitable.

I have the sweetest air guitar you’ve never seen BTW and I’d send pics....however, well, you understand..
    I have to disagree again
    You can buy a "regular" PRS which is perfect and a custom shop guitar - much more higher priced- and more than perfect.
    But what I wanted to say is:
    I paid a lot of money for mobile phone, what is unfortunately not nearly perfect in hardware and software.

The devices have a lot, lot of space for improvements.
    Everyday you can read new post here with a description of a new bug that appears. I don't want to be a beta tester.

Sure it is definitely the best PKB phone you can buy.
    And really like it, because mine is - till now- nearly bug free.

And some team is the best football team of Luxemburg, but what is it worth if they play against FC Barcelona.

In Germany we have saying:
    "If you want do pee with the big dogs, you have to get that leg high enough"
    06-13-19 11:35 AM
    I have to disagree again
    You can buy a "regular" PRS which is perfect and a custom shop guitar - much more higher priced- and more than perfect.
    But what I wanted to say is:
    I paid a lot of money for mobile phone, what is unfortunately not nearly perfect in hardware and software.

The devices have a lot, lot of space for improvements.
    Everyday you can read new post here with a description of a new bug that appears. I don't want to be a beta tester.

Sure it is definitely the best PKB phone you can buy.
    And really like it, because mine is - till now- nearly bug free.

And some team is the best football team of Luxemburg, but what is it worth if they play against FC Barcelona.

In Germany we have saying:
    "If you want do pee with the big dogs, you have to get that leg high enough"
    You’ve illustrated my point almost. The KEY series have no PKB competition to speak of. Therefore, only real objective is to get as many PKB devices in consumer hands profitably and trouble-free as possible. The Key2 LE will be the best test of that since it has no capacitive PKB and costs not much less than original KEYone at introduction.

The capacitive PKB may be too much trouble and cost prohibitive to produce and sell profitably. VZW didn’t offer the CDMA KEYone and all USA carriers passed on the Key2 this last sales cycle. That VZW picked up the LE may suggest their sales data has identified the sweet price value spot on the curve (no pun intended) for the best chance of future success.

It’s a bold (no pun intended) decision to pursue a lower priced mid-tier device that offers lower margin of error.
    06-13-19 11:55 AM
    You’ve illustrated my point almost. The KEY series have no PKB competition to speak of. Therefore, only real objective is to get as many PKB devices in consumer hands profitably and trouble-free as possible. The Key2 LE will be the best test of that since it has no capacitive PKB and costs not much less than original KEYone at introduction.

The capacitive PKB may be too much trouble and cost prohibitive to produce and sell profitably. VZW didn’t offer the CDMA KEYone and all USA carriers passed on the Key2 this last sales cycle. That VZW picked up the LE may suggest their sales data has identified the sweet price value spot on the curve (no pun intended) for the best chance of future success.

It’s a bold (no pun intended) decision to pursue a lower priced mid-tier device that offers lower margin of error.
    I definitely dont think they should just give up on the capacitive keyboard altogether. They just about mastered it with the KEYone, it' just the glossy keys kind of got in the way of a perfect experience.

They could even copy and paste the LE keyboard and just add the sensors and call it a day
    06-13-19 12:08 PM
    I definitely dont think they should just give up on the capacitive keyboard altogether. They just about mastered it with the KEYone, it' just the glossy keys kind of got in the way of a perfect experience.

They could even copy and paste the LE keyboard and just add the sensors and call it a day
    I believe the cost structure of the capacitive PKB from the KEYone and Key2 explains some of the issues reported on the Key2 since release. I don’t really believe they’re as significant as some report except to most extreme user on the capacitive functions and even then it’s user centric.

BB designed the KEYone and probably drew up the components list. Perhaps some higher priced unseen internal pieces would have priced the Key2 even higher and made the hardware DOA if $699 or $749 would have been required for the previous capacitive experience demanded from the “capacitive power users” and not just the regular consumer mortals...
    06-13-19 12:18 PM
    You’ve illustrated my point almost. The KEY series have no PKB competition to speak of. Therefore, only real objective is to get as many PKB devices in consumer hands profitably and trouble-free as possible.
    Or drive up per-device profits while keeping device sales comfortably niche.
    06-13-19 02:50 PM
    I wonder if for KEY3 they'll divide it into two devices or just go back to a solo $549 mid ranger like the KEYone
    06-13-19 02:57 PM
    I wonder if for KEY3 they'll divide it into two devices or just go back to a solo $549 mid ranger like the KEYone
    Or drop the top end entirely and follow up the LE.

I guess they can analyse all of the price points now.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-13-19 03:13 PM
    Low light camera.

Everything else about the KEY² more than meets my needs.
    Agreed on low light camera. Would request to stretch the screen meaning ditch the chin and forehead. Perhaps even have (gasp) a notch to move clock battery and notifications out of way of main screen. I need a larger screen in order to use as daily driver (which I do not currently do)..

I would also pay 1000 for ‘ultra’ or ‘plus’ model as I am not price sensitive.
    06-13-19 03:29 PM
    I kept my iPhone 6 Plus for 3 years. Good phone at the time.
    06-13-19 03:30 PM
    Or drop the top end entirely and follow up the LE.

I guess they can analyse all of the price points now.
    Yeah I guess.

If the LE completely outsold the KEY2, they could probably conclude that people care more about an affordable, sub $500 price point than they do about a capacitive keyboard.
    06-13-19 03:36 PM
    For me Blackberry Key2 is nearly perfect device!
    If I could chose Key3 improvements over Key2, and hopefully Key3 will come out in 2020, they would be:
    - Stronger Vibration motor
    -Slightly bigger led lamp
    -maybe a littler more durable battery
    What do you think should improve?
    Wider keyboard with Passport like quality in feel and touch sensitivity. KEY2 capacitive touch blows.

Yes larger LED but with everything getting smaller I doubt it.

Stereo Passport like speakers.

Double tap the the SPEED Key to lock the shortcut options for one handed use.

Oh yeah and brighter bigger screen
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 06-13-19 at 04:56 PM.
    06-13-19 04:00 PM
    Better screen (for daytime visibility), a slightly larger screen would be nice. If the actual screen real estate was the size of the actual glass screen, to me that would be ideal. Last thing on my wish list... got decent speakers. Like what was on the Passport
    The_Passporter likes this.
    06-13-19 04:36 PM
    If the actual screen real estate was the size of the actual glass screen, to me that would be ideal
    This is what everyone wanted for the KEY2 and when first taking it out of its box, you could really think that's what you'd be getting but it turns out they just hid the navigation buttons
    06-13-19 04:50 PM
    This is what everyone wanted for the KEY2 and when first taking it out of its box, you could really think that's what you'd be getting but it turns out they just hid the navigation buttons
    Yes... but not just the bottom, but the sides too. Look at the edges and how much wasted space is there as well,
    06-13-19 04:55 PM
    better screen, better low light camera as my key2 is exceptional in good lighting.

erm their own sms app for hub integration.

bit thinner and lighter I'd say
    06-13-19 04:57 PM
    I actually think the KEY² is a fabulous piece of hardware. I've never had a single issue, and the feel is ultra-premium. I wouldn't trade this device for any other smartphone in the world.
    Totally agree.

It's a phone I use strictly for business- NO GAMES!

Ear speaker and loud speaker need to be louder I'd say.
    06-13-19 05:00 PM
    Yes... but not just the bottom, but the sides too. Look at the edges and how much wasted space is there as well,
    Right, I guess less bezels on the sides would be cool also, as long as the display is again flat.

There are people who chose the S10e over the bigger variants specifically for that, because curved screens look great in renders but are so impractical
    06-13-19 05:05 PM
    I won't buy another Android unless it has a money-back guarantee of 4-5 years of software updates. I just don't need a new phone that often and don't want to waste any more money on a device which is obsolete before it's even broken in.

06-13-19 06:55 PM
    I won't buy another Android unless it has a money-back guarantee of 4-5 years of software updates. I just don't need a new phone that often and don't want to waste any more money on a device which is obsolete before it's even broken in.

The fact is, you can buy 2 excellent android phones - each with 2 or 3 years of support - for the price of one iPhone.

Heck, you can buy a Pixel 3a, 4a, and 5a for the price of an iPhone - each with 3 years of support.

You can stay more up-to-date that way too.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-13-19 07:13 PM
    The fact is, you can buy 2 excellent android phones - each with 2 or 3 years of support - for the price of one iPhone.

Heck, you can buy a Pixel 3a, 4a, and 5a for the price of an iPhone - each with 3 years of support.

You can stay more up-to-date that way too.
    That's one way to look at it
    06-13-19 07:28 PM
110 ... 2345