The fact is, you can buy 2 excellent android phones - each with 2 or 3 years of support - for the price of one iPhone.

Heck, you can buy a Pixel 3a, 4a, and 5a for the price of an iPhone - each with 3 years of support.

You can stay more up-to-date that way too.
    If my goal was to minimize expenditures while keeping an updated mobile device then that would be a decent strategy. But, the way I look at it, buying and setting up a new phone is only slightly more pleasant than a colonoscopy, and is to be done as infrequently as possible. From an economic perspective, I could make enough money to buy two iPhones in the time it takes me to get everything dialed in the way I like it in a new device. BlackBerry has spoiled me into thinking that a phone should last five years or more.

Unlike a lot of members here, I simply have zero romance with today's mobile phones. I like having mobile email always available and occasionally the Internet and apps, but I couldn't care less about the devices themselves.

I'm almost certainly done with Android after my KEYone. Despite impressive improvements in permission management and standardization of notifications, I find Android just too fractured and messy for my taste. And, as much as I hate the iOS UX, I appreciate the consistency of having all devices on the same OS all the time.

If the Librem phone turns out to work as advertised, I'll try that as my daily driver for mobile, and maybe keep a 3-4 year old iPhone handy for when I really need a mainstream app.

I recently bought a 12.5 inch ultra portable laptop with Linux and cellular data, and I'm finding it superior to the KEYone for short work sessions. I can run all my data science and Python-based tools, manage my privacy, and take it everywhere. It boots up almost instantly and lasts a whole day without a charge. And the Internet experience is 1000% better than on mobile.

I still use the Z10 for email, but without OneDrive integration, it's not as useful as it used to be. I find the Hub on the KEYone semi useful. I like having all my social notifications in the Hub, but I typically fire up the laptop rather than use mobile apps to respond, because I can manage my privacy so much better outside of Android.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-14-19 08:44 AM
    A trackpad like my old Bold's but I am coming to realize that will never happen. To many android restrictions. My Key2 is not even remotely a Blackberry because of that.
    07-09-19 11:09 AM
    A trackpad like my old Bold's but I am coming to realize that will never happen. To many android restrictions. My Key2 is not even remotely a Blackberry because of that.
    I agree! A trackpad will promote leaving the thumbs in the keypad area rather than constantly having to move up and down between the screen to the keypad which an inherent flaw of a PKB device.
    07-09-19 11:16 AM
    I agree! A trackpad will promote leaving the thumbs in the keypad area rather than constantly having to move up and down between the screen to the keypad which an inherent flaw of a PKB device.
    Didn't capacitive keyboards effectively replace the track pad? I think for the time, a track pad was a good navigation tool. But, given the rapid advancement in user interfaces, it now seems more of a nostalgia feature. Kinda like the PKB....
    07-09-19 11:27 AM
    Didn't capacitive keyboards effectively replace the track pad? I think for the time, a track pad was a good navigation tool. But, given the rapid advancement in user interfaces, it now seems more of a nostalgia feature. Kinda like the PKB....
    The capacitive keypad only covers screen scroll but it doesn't cover full interaction with apps like message selection, open & delete in Inbox for example.

Imagine being able to control the entire UI from a trackpad; the capacitive keypad doesn't support that by any stretch.

It's worth noting that the Speed Key on the K2 helps matters though only by way of app & shortcut selection and even that was poorly implemented.
    07-09-19 11:34 AM
    The capacitive keypad only covers screen scroll but it doesn't cover full interaction with apps like message selection, open & delete in Inbox for example.

Imagine being able to control the entire UI from a trackpad; the capacitive keypad doesn't support that by any stretch.

It's worth noting that the Speed Key on the K2 helps matters though only by way of app & shortcut selection and even that was poorly implemented.
    Problem is support... does Android and Apps support a trackpad input. I imagine for the keyboard BlackBerry just tapped into existing touchscreen scroll features (seem to have issues with even that). But getting a full trackpad to work?
    07-09-19 02:21 PM
    Problem is support... does Android and Apps support a trackpad input. I imagine for the keyboard BlackBerry just tapped into existing touchscreen scroll features (seem to have issues with even that). But getting a full trackpad to work?
    Any app that support a mouse input can support a trackpad input but for starters all BlackBerry apps should support it.

I can imagine Inbox being so much more efficient to navigate with a trackpad.
    07-09-19 02:29 PM
    I just tried doing the mouse pointer trick from two years ago for the KEYone but unfortunately after the Oreo update it doesn't work anymore.

So yeah, an optical trackpad à la Classic would for sure be nice, but it would take away screen space and not sure what buttons you'd have next to it.

I would have suggested that they make the spacebar act as a trackpad and put the fingerprint sensor on the side of the phone, but I'd rather they don't get any more creative with that spacebar so... idk

Realistically anyway, we know it won't happen
    07-09-19 03:49 PM
    i would have suggested that they make the spacebar act as a trackpad and put the fingerprint sensor on the side of the phone, but i'd rather they don't get any more creative with that spacebar so... Idk
    This
    realistically anyway, we know it won't happen
    and that...
    the_boon likes this.
    07-09-19 04:10 PM
    At this point, title should be changed to "BlackBerry Key3, The Wish" and hope for the best like the Monet to be a new BBMo device.
    07-09-19 05:23 PM
110 ... 345