Your interpretation of my words is far away from what I said.
    I said the device is overpriced, not that BlackBerry makes a lot of money.
    You're suggesting we are being gouged $200 per device. What am I missing?
    06-12-19 08:30 AM
    Your interpretation of my words is far away from what I said.
    I said the device is overpriced, not that BlackBerry makes a lot of money.
    You're missing nothing. It is what it is.
    06-12-19 08:34 AM
    For what it's worth, I think they should have kept the $549 price launch just like the KEYone.

What is it about the KEY2 that would cost more to manufacture than the KEYone?
    anon(10572925) and Vistaus like this.
    06-12-19 08:41 AM
    For what it's worth, I think they should have kept the $549 price launch just like the KEYone.

What is it about the KEY2 that would cost more to manufacture than the KEYone?
    Perhaps it's the other way around, and they felt the KEYᵒⁿᵉ had been priced too tight.
    06-12-19 08:45 AM
    You're suggesting we are being gouged $200 per device. What am I missing?
    Your missing nothing.
    It is what it is.
    06-12-19 08:48 AM
    So are you implying that BBMo is actually profitable at the moment? According to you, they must be laughing all the way to the bank. Frankly, I doubt they have even hit breakeven yet.
    If BBMo isn't breakeven at this point....
    06-12-19 09:05 AM
    If BBMo isn't breakeven at this point....
    One has to account for startup costs.

But honestly I have no idea where they stand financially - but I can certainly rule out being comfortably in the black. Lol.
    06-12-19 09:09 AM
    One has to account for startup costs.

But honestly I have no idea where they stand financially - but I can certainly rule out being comfortably in the black. Lol.
    https://www.blackberrybase.net/showt...-Ltd-im-Detail
    06-12-19 09:20 AM
    Sorry, what does this mean for BBMo? Can you summarise?

Keep in mind we are not discussing BlackBerry.
    06-12-19 09:22 AM
    What you're trying to say?
    BBMo can't do their job right?
    I just expect for a lot of money a device that works as expected.
    Without wobbling spacebar, without all the software bugs and so on...
    "Divided priorities does not lead to cost efficiency."

This means that, despite you paying "a lot of money", a significant portion of the money that might otherwise be spent on QA/QC has to be spent on other things, which have no bearing on the quality of the physical devices, and which other manufacturers don't have to spend money on. Costs for other things, like the components themselves, and the manufacturing, are also higher due to lower volume production. Finally, due to the PKB (especially the touch-sensitive models), there is far more complexity than a slab phone.

So, despite spending "a lot of money", you should not have the same expectations that you might have for another company, because we all know from the beginning that BBMo isn't going to be able to achieve them.
    06-12-19 10:49 AM
    I even think key3 may higher price than key2. With some improvement from key2.
    The PKB is good on key2! Ut still need improve. I never have typing error letter on 9900/Classic. But on key2, yes. It's easy to type wrong letter.
    Vistaus likes this.
    06-12-19 11:23 AM
    I even think key3 may higher price than key2. With some improvement from key2.
    The PKB is good on key2! Ut still need improve. I never have typing error letter on 9900/Classic. But on key2, yes. It's easy to type wrong letter.
    Or the KEY3 might be priced like the KEY2, but with the KEY2 LE keyboard....
    Vistaus likes this.
    06-12-19 11:35 AM
    don't understand how some continue to compare the pricing and specs of slab phones with pkb phones. It like the want a pkb phone but they don't think there should be a price consideration due to fact that it has a pkb.
    the_boon and bh7171 like this.
    06-12-19 12:06 PM
    I found also the Key 2 overpriced when I bought it and I suspect TCL to keep their price high since they don't have competition.

As for the improvements I hope for:
    - better software - I switched to Google Calendar app, Hub+ Calendar being buggy
    - their app for tasks is not backed up in Google
    - keyboard is too narrow. I would definitely prefer a width such as the Passport one
    - web sites are complex now to render , a faster CPU would help the browser
    - wireless battery charging

And some news on the upcoming devices from TCL
    06-12-19 12:56 PM
    don't understand how some continue to compare the pricing and specs of slab phones with pkb phones. It like the want a pkb phone but they don't think there should be a price consideration due to fact that it has a pkb.
    Funny thing is at one time it was the other way around... you had to pay more for the big expensive screen.

If the KEY2 was only $50 than most of today's SD660 powered slabs with the same specs... I don't think there would be an issue. But most those devices today are selling between $200 - $300 USD... that's a big gap up to the KEY2 at $600.

You aren't paying just for the PKB, but the whole BlackBerry tax of BRAND, ANDROID SECURE, UPDATES & PATCHES, and two companies needing to make a profit in place of just one. Along with just the higher coast of a small niche global market.

The bottom line is the bottom line... I think even some PKB lovers are finding it a tough decision at this point.
    anon(10572925) and Gene Fells like this.
    06-12-19 01:22 PM
    I found also the Key 2 overpriced when I bought it and I suspect TCL to keep their price high since they don't have competition.
    The price isn't high because of lack of competition, it's high because they cost more to make when volumes are low.
    Vistaus likes this.
    06-12-19 01:33 PM
    As much as I'd like to defend BBMo's pricing (the LE's $399 launch price was fair), the KEY2's launch price should have been the same as the KEYone's.

They both pack the same features and the same lack of features

The design refresh is very significant though, and much more distinctive than any slab compared to its previous iteration in 2017-2019

Or the KEY3 might be priced like the KEY2, but with the KEY2 LE keyboard....
    Lol I doubt they would launch a $699 KEY3 with no capacitive keyboard.
    06-12-19 03:15 PM
    How can the device be overpriced? How would you lower the price?
    He won't answer your question.

I'll answer it -- they have lowered the price. It's called the LE. If they could have lowered the price of the K2 to match the LE with an acceptable margin they would have done so.
    06-12-19 04:48 PM
    As much as I'd like to defend BBMo's pricing (the LE's $399 launch price was fair), the KEY2's launch price should have been the same as the KEYone's.

The design refresh is very significant though, and much more distinctive than any slab compared to its previous iteration in 2017-2019

I suspect that part of the pricing is whether certain number of carriers are on board or not to guarantee certain minimum volume. While the KEYone introduction was $549, the AT&T model was $499 and unique color.

The Key2 reflected a price that may have incorporated either lower volume and/or higher production costs since BBMo independently designed unlike KEYone that BlackBerry initially designed.
    06-12-19 04:54 PM

There is no such thing as a "fair" price, except in the mind of each individual consumer. BBMo is the only one who has the information to set the best price to maximize profits (or minimize losses). Everyone else just makes a personal buying decision.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    bh7171 likes this.
    06-12-19 10:10 PM
    Ever held a BlackBerry KeyOne Black Edition? A mobile device does not feel much more premium. This includes my S9, which for a glass slab is pretty damn premium. If the Key2 is even better then BlackBerry Mobile is in a class of itself and PKB.
    And don't you think the quality should be much better for, let's call it "custom shop"?
    Especially when you think about the high price?
    I'm a guitarist. And I have 2 high priced guitars from PRS guitars.
    When I buy a PRS guitar I know I will open the case and in there is a perfect instrument.
    Everything is well crafted, no issues, just perfect.
    Also high priced boutique quantities.
    There the price is in relation for what I get.
    I don't see this with a Blackberry android mobile.
    06-12-19 10:30 PM
    I'd love to see a larger battery, faster CPU, more memory, on screen fingerprint sensor, and wireless charging module, high def screen, and dual sim/memory.
    06-12-19 11:01 PM
    I'd also like to see a Huawei P30Pro have kids with a BBk2. That would be a dope device. Itll elevate BB's to the next level.
    06-12-19 11:03 PM
    2 Teslas and 3 year old phones? That is just so wrong!
    06-12-19 11:27 PM
    If KEYx owners kept their phones for 3-4 years, that would be the end for certain.

They need 2 years max to have a chance at viability.

The market just isn't big enough.
    Maybe not. TCL have their hands in a lot of different electronics and technologies. They also seem to be working on perfecting "Built to order (BTO)"/ "Just in time (JIT)" supply chain management. Who's to say they couldn't drop a unique device every 3 years to a niche market (who typically holds on to their devices longer... like BlackBerry users) and rake in fairly hefty profits under such a model? Especially since this is only part of their business, not all of it. I'm betting they have a pretty good parts bin these days...

Of course, they would need to support the older products in between time to keep customers from fleeing, and with that there is an expense. Just thinking out loud...
    06-13-19 08:03 AM
110 12345