Back during Black Friday, I contacted the support to know if there would be discounts on the Key2. The answer I got was that it wouldn't be the case sadly, but that the price would drop for the launch if the Key3 next year (so, this year now).
    It's obvious there will be a Key3 anyway, the Key2 is such a wonderful device.

Which upgrades would you like to see ? Besides the camera, of course.
    oharamj and SimsonClan like this.
    01-18-19 03:37 PM
    01-18-19 03:43 PM
    Confirmation for me would be an official announcement from TCL/BBMo... I do believe there will be a KEY3 but until I read an official announcement it's all just speculation in my opinion.

Bob
    01-18-19 03:45 PM
    If BlackBerry is involved, confirmation is the physical device in your hands. In the meantime, there's been very little in the way of leaks, so the first news of whatever device(s?) would come out in 2019 would probably be at MWC next month.
    Vistaus and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    01-18-19 04:33 PM
    I saw this article a few days ago. BlackBerry Mobile is pretty much confirming that a Key 3 or some other new BlackBerry Mobile device will be launched in 2019 but it won't be a 5g device.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...2019-ces-2019/

There seems to be some minor traction occurring here and some small, positive steps with their carrier deals and very loyal BlackBerry fan base.

My biggest concern though is on the pricing side. Price it reasonably and look at the history of BlackBerry.

The Priv was considered very expensive at $699 US I believe? The Key 2 Was $650 at launch. Don't go overboard with pricing, make a reasonable profit and than sell more units.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the Key 3 or whatever is in the pipeline for 2019.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-19 05:14 PM
    Shouldn't BlackBerry be creating a buzz if Key³ was to be released soon? I don't expect them to release it any time soon.
    If all is well, they might release a different form factor and ensure sales of Key² & LE are still happening. A lot of users didn't get the Key² because they are now waiting for Key³
    01-18-19 07:08 PM
    it's not time for a key 3 yet I still feel the key 2 has more life especially with the new atomic red!
    PowderJockey and diesel0110 like this.
    01-18-19 08:00 PM
    it's not time for a key 3 yet I still feel the key 2 has more life especially with the new atomic red!
    If BlackBerry Mobile has been managing inventory well and can switch the assembly line over to a newer device with incremental improvements in key features cost effectively, then there's no reason for them not to do it. I suspect it will (and should) be based on what their carrier and retail partners are willing to promote.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-18-19 09:20 PM
    We will definitely see more Blackberry devices.

Doesnt bother me in the slightest if its delayed though; makes more sense for me cos i bought a key2 at launch and would be nice to get more use out of it.
    01-19-19 04:41 AM
    Nothing is 'pretty much confirmed' and it certainly wouldn't be coming from any support channels. Logical analysis is the only basis here... there was a KEYone and KEY2 and BlackBerry Mobile is still going, therefore....
    01-19-19 05:54 PM
    Nothing is 'pretty much confirmed' and it certainly wouldn't be coming from any support channels. Logical analysis is the only basis here... there was a KEYone and KEY2 and BlackBerry Mobile is still going, therefore....
    Keep It Simple...
    Vistaus and anon(10387168) like this.
    01-19-19 05:58 PM
    Back during Black Friday, I contacted the support to know if there would be discounts on the Key2. The answer I got was that it wouldn't be the case sadly, but that the price would drop for the launch if the Key3 next year (so, this year now).

I've seen a concept floating around with a bezel-less-like device including removing the chin below the keyboard and the display streched so it absorbs the navbar plus a notch is added to the top to allow a space for a camera. It appears to be the same dimentions but manages to sneak in a 16:9 display. So long as it is comfortable to type with then I like the direction of this device which would be the direction of the market. interestingly if the KEY2's screen is just stretched to absorb the navbar this is a 16:10 display and the rest of the size/bezels stay the same. So I would like to see some imporvments to the design to get a larger display.

In terms of internals I get they're using Quadcomm 600 series for battery life/performance, 625 for the KEYone, 660 for the KEY2 so I want to see this device to continue to be upgraded using the best in it's class which currently would the Quadcomm 675. The rest should consider upgrades based on market trends but probably the 4/6 GB ram and 64/128 GB memory is fine for the normal/pro models.
    01-21-19 09:22 PM
    Is a 16X10 screen even available? Custom would add a great deal of cost, no?
    01-21-19 10:49 PM
    I've seen a concept floating around with a bezel-less-like device including removing the chin below the keyboard and the display streched so it absorbs the navbar plus a notch is added to the top to allow a space for a camera. It appears to be the same dimentions but manages to sneak in a 16:9 display. So long as it is comfortable to type with then I like the direction of this device which would be the direction of the market. interestingly if the KEY2's screen is just stretched to absorb the navbar this is a 16:10 display and the rest of the size/bezels stay the same. So I would like to see some imporvments to the design to get a larger display.

In terms of internals I get they're using Quadcomm 600 series for battery life/performance, 625 for the KEYone, 660 for the KEY2 so I want to see this device to continue to be upgraded using the best in it's class which currently would the Quadcomm 675. The rest should consider upgrades based on market trends but probably the 4/6 GB ram and 64/128 GB memory is fine for the normal/pro models.
    That render is an atrocity, such a phone would be guaranteed to tip forward out of your hand while typing.

There cannot be 16:9 on a candybar form factor, period.
    Vistaus and Jayasheelan like this.
    01-21-19 11:30 PM
    That render is an atrocity, such a phone would be guaranteed to tip forward out of your hand while typing.

I'm not sure why, what balances a device is your fingers behind it which are stationary and allows your thumbs to move where they want. If you not sure pretend the bottom most of the device has a row of keys and the top row is the bottom of the screen and start to mock type/touch. I really don't feel a difference in stability and if there is a device can be weighted to fix the balance
    01-21-19 11:51 PM
    Not really understanding the reference to the Canadian rollout in the article. The major carriers in my area, TELUS and BELL have always carried BlackBerry phones. Very different from the USA experience since the PRIV .
    01-22-19 12:35 AM

I did a mock up of a photo I grabbed for this bezel-less KEY3 concept. There are a few versions of it going around but it seems in order to keep the size of the KEY2 and have a 16:9 display the keys need to be smaller which isn't going to work. Making the device taller to accomodate the KEY2 size of keys I don't think will work either. So it's a fail in the end. I think a 16:10 display is more realistic with the screen essentially absorbing the navbar and making the screen taller without touching the size of anything else. It's more consistence with small incremental channges you would expect in the next device.BlackBerry KEY3 is pretty much confirmed-blackberry-key3.jpg
    01-23-19 03:34 AM
    the navigation keys on the bottom are pretty much obsolete. they need to use the entire surface for the screen and have the buttons be screen based to pop up like every other phone does it.. i personally switched to the swipe gesture on android 9. i love it. they should go with something like this:

BlackBerry KEY3 is pretty much confirmed-bbk3.jpg

PowderJockey and mtalinm like this.
    01-23-19 10:49 AM
    the navigation keys on the bottom are pretty much obsolete. they need to use the entire surface for the screen and have the buttons be screen based to pop up like every other phone does it.. i personally switched to the swipe gesture on android 9. i love it. they should go with something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbk3.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	442527

But bro... what about the weight balance when typing ?

See, a BlackBerry keyboard cannot do this kind of compromise on typing experience just to cram more screen in.

That render has literally no chin, so it would absolutely suck to type on.

I have an iPhone SE and Typo keyboard case combo which is similar in the sense that the bottom keys are at the end of the case, therefore it's pretty awkward to type on compared to say my KEY2 LE.

PKB's need chins, and even if that feels like a waste of space, that space is necessary.
    bigjman likes this.
    01-23-19 11:29 AM
    You can keep the key2 form and just incorporate the buttons into the screen. Won't effect typing experience at all
    mtalinm likes this.
    01-23-19 11:32 AM

KEY3 coming... I expet so, but at the end of this year. (But twice now BBMo has not delivered a device that they said they would deliver).

Upgrades.... Processor mostly, think RAM is fine and Camera might even be ok... if it has the right image processor to power it.

Beyond that.... don't see a form factor change or anything really radical. Other than hopefully adding in PIE's gestures and thus getting rid of the buttons.

Don't expect to see 5G or an AMOLED screen....

Would like to see them do a PRO, Standard and Lite versions.... would like to see the option for a real flagship from them. Even if it's a limited edition $1,300 phone.
    Vistaus likes this.
    01-23-19 11:43 AM
    Any new model needs more refinement and increased quality control. Keep improving the keyboard - address the key2 KB issues and make it the best it can be.

It needs a better camera. Spend the money and provide a decent offering to users. Make it good enough so that it is not the number one topic in 99.9% of review, post release.

As Boon states, balance is important. No bezels is secondary to balance in hand. Those singing the praises of Pie gestures need to use them for a few months. I have them enabled but rarely use the sideways swipe, as I find it clunky. Hopefully android OS gestures will be improved and the swipe gestures will become useful, rather than mostly visual window dressing.

600 series chips are ideal. If the OS is optimised, then 4GB RAM is sufficient. More battery is always welcome.

Whatever they bring to market will face increased competition from new genres (folding). BBM offerings need to be of the highest build quality so that those in grey market areas can purchase with some level of confidence.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gene Fells; 01-23-19 at 02:56 PM.
    01-23-19 02:44 PM
    Any new model needs more refinement and increased quality control. Keep improving the keyboard - address the key2 KB issues and make it the best it can be.

It needs a better camera. Spend the money and provide a decent offering to users. Make it good enough so that it is not the number one topic in 99.9% of review, post release.

As Boon states, balance is important. No bezels is secondary to balance in hand. Those singing the praises of Pie gestures need to use them for a few months. I have them enabled but rarely use the sideways swipe, as I find it clunky. Hopefully android OS gestures will be improved and the swipe gestures will become useful, rather than mostly visual window dressing.

600 series chips are ideal. If the OS is optimised, then 4GB RAM is sufficient. More battery is always welcome.

Whatever they bring to market will face increased competition from new genres (folding). BBM offerings need to be of the highest build quality so that those in grey market areas can purchase with some level of confidence.

Posted via CB10
    I love the gestures. They are the same as on webOS (and subsequently LuneOS), my still-favorite OS of all time. I just wish they added card stacks, like on webOS/LuneOS (i.e. drag open apps on top of each other to create stacks of opened apps).
    Last edited by Vistaus; 01-23-19 at 04:59 PM.
    01-23-19 03:47 PM
    I love the gestures. They are the same as on webOS (and subsequently LuneOS), my still-favorite OS of all time. I just wish they added card stacks, like on webOS/LuneOS (i.e. drag open apps on top of each other to create stacks of opened apps).
    HP bought Palm about the same time BlackBerry bought QNX. Granted there was a big difference between $200 million and $1.2 billion. But you add the cost in development of BB10 and the years that it took.... that extra $1 Billion would have been a sweet deal. Plus merging two loyal fanbases.
    01-24-19 09:45 AM
    MWC Barcelona 2019
    BlackBerry Mobile
    Introducing the Key3 or whatsoever?BlackBerry KEY3 is pretty much confirmed-screenshot_20190125-034803-2.jpeg
    01-24-19 08:50 PM
126 123 ...