I have been a loyal BlackBerry user for a long time. I currently have the KEY 2 which is great but with no news on a KEY 3 I am looking for alternatives.

For some reason the Pixel 4 XL is grabbing my attention. It is just a tiny bit larger than the 2, is a clean version of Android that will be constantly updated and can have the BlackBerry Hub+ suite so everything I love will still be available.

Other than the keyboard...

Thoughts would be appreciated!
    12-12-19 11:53 AM
    If you're gonna type on glass, I'd wait till the announcement of the S11 to see what that one will bring to the table.

The best overall slab right now would probably be the S10e or S10.

If you want a new-ish keyboard phone and don't mind a heavy 240g device with a landscape keyboard, then the F(x) Tec Pro 1 may be for you.
    GoLeafsGo44 and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-12-19 12:13 PM
    I taught about the 4XL, but my Samsung died and my there were reasons to move over to Apple.... and I don't regret it.

Most of what I've heard about the 4XL has been very positive, and I do think going either Pixel or Samsung is the best bet for anyone in the US. Now in Canada... depends on how well supported Huawei is.
    GoLeafsGo44 and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-12-19 12:18 PM
    Just in case you missed it: the Unihertz Titan started shipping today.
    12-12-19 01:11 PM
    F(x)tec pro1 is a landscape slider. It's started shipping preorders now, if you order, they should deliver in a couple of weeks.
    12-12-19 03:00 PM
    I have been a loyal BlackBerry user for a long time. I currently have the KEY 2 which is great but with no news on a KEY 3 I am looking for alternatives.

For some reason the Pixel 4 XL is grabbing my attention. It is just a tiny bit larger than the 2, is a clean version of Android that will be constantly updated and can have the BlackBerry Hub+ suite so everything I love will still be available.

While I love a keyboard, if you are looking for a phone that will receive updates for many years as well as major OS updates. There is only one place Apple.
    12-13-19 04:47 PM
    While I love a keyboard, if you are looking for a phone that will receive updates for many years as well as major OS updates. There is only one place Apple.
    Yes but you pay more for that privilege...
    12-13-19 06:35 PM
    On annualized basis it’s cheaper than comparable Android tiers. Not by much but cheaper overall.
    12-13-19 06:41 PM
    On annualized basis it’s cheaper than comparable Android tiers. Not by much but cheaper overall.
    It depends what you get I think. A quick Google search reveals the iPhone 6S is on ios 13 and is still supported (four years coming up for five years old... not bad for a phone £700 at launch so annual cost per year £150 which is very affordable ... if you've kept it that long.

The Samsun Galaxy S6, £640 at launch received it's last patch early 2019. Software at launch was Lollipop and upgraded to Oreo early this year. Slightly cheaper annually, but with the Samsung I think users would keep it for less time (my wife did at least).

I guess in a way we're comparing apples for apples lol.
    12-14-19 03:14 AM
    I think some Android makes will compare very favourably in time. Pixel and a few others in particular in terms of support.
    12-14-19 03:16 AM

Im going to hold off until Pixel 5XL. The K2 has updates until the the summer of 2020, so no need to rush. My options are limited to only devices on the Android Enterprises Recommended list, so no Samsung's or OnePlus devices for me
    12-14-19 09:16 AM
    But prepare to only have dumbed down apps compared to their Android counterparts. I also thought of switching over to Apple, got my wife's old iPhone 6S out of the drawer and started using it as a second phone. Tried to find Apple counterparts of those apps I use on my Android but most lack several features of their Android versions because it's a different development team. Also subscriptions (e.g. for OsmAnd map updates) are almost always more expensive than on Android.

And don't get me started with iTunes or things like downloading a file with one app and trying to open it with another. There's no shared storage like on Android.
    12-14-19 06:27 PM
    But prepare to only have dumbed down apps compared to their Android counterparts. I also thought of switching over to Apple, got my wife's old iPhone 6S out of the drawer and started using it as a second phone. Tried to find Apple counterparts of those apps I use on my Android but most lack several features of their Android versions because it's a different development team. Also subscriptions (e.g. for OsmAnd map updates) are almost always more expensive than on Android.

And don't get me started with iTunes or things like downloading a file with one app and trying to open it with another. There's no shared storage like on Android.
    On desktop/laptop OS, I’ll take Microsoft over Apple everyday and twice on Sunday as the saying goes.

On mobile/tablet OS, I’ll take Apple over Google for now. It’s too fragmented unless using a proprietary device or an OEM that uses Android One and that’s just starting on AT&T, my carrier, now.

I hope at some point we see Android One device from TCL with a PKB, however I’ll settle for a VKB like the Nokia if that’s it. Perhaps we’ll see a Plex with AT&T soon...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-14-19 06:49 PM
    Client that has been loyal to BlackBerry since 1999 shifted to iPhones this week. Was hard to stand before them on site today and have them criticize me for ever encouraging them to try the BlackBerry Mobile KEY devices, while simultaneously being unable to explain the lack of communication by BlackBerry Mobile.
    12-14-19 07:05 PM
    Some paid $799 for that PRIVilege and only got one OS upgrade and barely two years of patches...
    12-14-19 07:32 PM
    Client that has been loyal to BlackBerry since 1999 shifted to iPhones this week. Was hard to stand before them on site today and have them criticize me for ever encouraging them to try the BlackBerry Mobile KEY devices, while simultaneously being unable to explain the lack of communication by BlackBerry Mobile.
    LMAO - hey one down and 49 to go. At least you know we respect you for coming here to admit that. I’ve been giving you grief here about your loyalty, but I’ll give you props about taking your lumps for your loyalty too. We’ve all done that or we’ve never really been CrackBerrians, now laugh about it...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-14-19 08:04 PM
    Just in case you missed it: the Unihertz Titan started shipping today.
    I would say that this phone is probably the "key3" alternative for pkb lovers as well.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-14-19 09:21 PM
    I would say that this phone is probably the "key3" alternative for pkb lovers as well.
    The overweight edition
    12-14-19 10:24 PM
    And it (Unihertz Titan) has android Pie so it's more like a successor at this point to Blackberry 😬
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-15-19 12:14 AM
    12-15-19 02:07 AM
    Last year I looked to upgrade my Keyone. I tried the Key2 but found the camera not competitive and the alt keys not visible enough. I bought an iPhone 10s. While expensive, it's a sturdy phone and updates will come for years. The camera is excellent. But what I miss too much is the Hub. I would go back to a key3 if and when it comes if the phone has a decent camera. I wish Microsoft would buy BlackBerry and resolve the swiftly problem at the same time.
    cyberdoggie and elfabio80 like this.
    12-15-19 02:20 AM
    I agree. My daughter has an iPhone SE (released March 31, 2016) and it is on the latest iOS 13.3. She took advantage of the $30 battery replacement and it's still as fast as DAY 1.

She probably won't get iOS 14 on September 2020, but by that time her device will be 4.5 years old and could probably go for another year easily.

When you purchase a new iPhone, you can get a solid 5 years of use out of it. Sure, you pay more, but do you really? My KEY2 will stop updating 2 years after launch... and we know how Android is when the updates stop.

Even the Google Pixel 2 (which released with Android 8.0) has been updated to Android 10 and will get software updates up to 3 years after launch.

For me, the only economic choice for a replacement device would be an iPhone or Pixel. It's cheaper in the long run.
    12-15-19 04:17 AM
    My daughter has an iPhone SE
    Say no more!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F392277560013
    12-15-19 02:18 PM
    die hard BlackBerry user here, from the reviews looks like the unihertz will be a good option. I could use a rugged phone anyhow, and it has a killer battery and price
    12-16-19 01:00 AM
    I'm going to wait and see what Microsoft Surface offering will be like this time next year. I know it wont have a physical keyboard, but I suspect it will be better to type on compared the Samsung's I've had previously.
    12-16-19 05:26 AM
51 123