Yesterday 07:03 AM
153 ... 567
tools
    The Passport was a BlackBerry phone. The fact that Wistron was hired by BlackBerry to manufacture it was irrelevant.

TCL, or HMD Global for that matter, are companies that pay a fee for the use of a brand name, which they then slap on their OWN phones - which they are solely responsible for.

That's how licencing works. Hundreds (well, thousands) of brands are licenced around the world. It's just how it works in many cases. The owners of the brand name don't take any responsibility for what its licencees do, nor do they receive enough money from them to "step-in" if something goes awry.

BlackBerry felt it was better to licence the mobile brand name than to immediately dissolve it.

Try going after Nokia for anything related to HMD Global phones made under the "Nokia" brand and see how far you get.
    Will say it's pretty clear that BlackBerry really was done with smartphones and even consumers. They way some of the licensee abandon their products was a black mark against the brand. TCL has done as good, or better than BlackBerry themselves... who has left a few products out in the cold without updates. (PlayBook, DTEKs)

It's over... folks have to face that.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-26-20 11:15 AM
    Will say it's pretty clear that BlackBerry really was done with smartphones and even consumers. They way some of the licensee abandon their products was a black mark against the brand. TCL has done as good, or better than BlackBerry themselves... who has left a few products out in the cold without updates. (PlayBook, DTEKs)

It's over... folks have to face that.
    If I were TCL, I would license only the pkb. The hardware design and software (updste and support) will be manufactured inhouse by TCL themselves (using TCL brand instead). This way could make the device even less expensive, maybe.
    05-26-20 11:33 PM
    If I were TCL, I would license only the pkb. The hardware design and software (updste and support) will be manufactured inhouse by TCL themselves (using TCL brand instead). This way could make the device even less expensive, maybe.
    But how many would buy without the Brand? HUB+ Suite of Apps? Security? or any hope of patches or updates?

I don't think cutting the price by $50 - $100 is going to off set the loss of those things.
    Yesterday 07:03 AM
153 ... 567