I called BlackBerry Mobile support and asked them about Key2 getting Pie while addressing end of August the partnership ends. The sales rep said anything can happen between now and end of August. However he said, they have sent multiple emails to their software team, but they are not responding. What kind of department would not respond to their own colleagues? I really hope Key2 gets Pie, just like all of us.
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-09-20 09:14 PM
    It's not getting Pie, man.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    05-09-20 09:26 PM
    Can't you or CrackBerry Kevin pressure BlackBerry to pressure TCL to release Pie?
    BergerKing and Muzamil Javed like this.
    05-09-20 09:58 PM
    Can't you or CrackBerry Kevin pressure BlackBerry to pressure TCL to release Pie?
    What pressure, offering them a lollipop?
    BergerKing, ECBomb, john_v and 4 others like this.
    05-09-20 10:01 PM
    Offering them a Pie
    BergerKing, john_v, skrble and 1 others like this.
    05-09-20 10:03 PM
    Offering them a Pie
    Or offer yourself another phone, supported that time.
    BergerKing, John Albert and ck2nb like this.
    05-09-20 10:08 PM
    CrackBerry and BlackBerry are two wholly different entities. Key2 is outside the span of OS updates, its time is up.
    05-10-20 12:22 AM
    Why would TCL bring Pie to Key2 devices?
    05-10-20 12:39 AM
    Why would TCL bring Pie to Key2 devices?
    Because they are obliged to since they promised 1 major update.
    05-10-20 03:41 AM
    Probably, if it's in the contract with BlackBerry Ltd.
    Otherwise, I don't see any legal obligations to do so.
    05-10-20 03:52 AM
    only way the key2 will get pie is if you bake it in one.
    Alfista83, ck2nb and hcaliste like this.
    05-10-20 04:37 AM
    It was implied as part of participating in Android OS program however, there have been additional OEM participants in same program that have also not complied without any repercussions. Some knowledgeable forum members here commented back then about many of these programs didn't have any "enforcement" teeth.

Posted via CB10
    Alfista83 likes this.
    05-10-20 04:57 AM
    Do you really want Pie? No doubt a new OS will bring a new set of bugs. And with software support ending soon, you might just be stuck with buggy software.

Android 11 comes out soon. Even Android 9 without monthly security updates doesn't really get you anywhere.

Get a Pixel. It's great. Monthly updates. You will get used to typing on glass VKB. I am getting used to it after using BlackBerry's for 14 years.
    Last edited by pgg101; 05-10-20 at 12:31 PM.
    05-10-20 11:29 AM
    TCL has already lost millions of dollars on this project. Bringing Pie to the K2 line would mean TCL writing a multi-million dollar check to BB Ltd, which would only deepen the loss. What would motivate TCL to lose millions of extra dollars? They have no more BB-branded phones to sell anyone, so why should they care about brand damage? The fact is that there is zero leverage that anyone has to make this happen, unless YOU are prepared to write that multi-million dollar check on TCL's behalf.

Even then, BB Ltd likely reassigned or released the developers who would have done that work, given that they've essentially had nothing to do for more than 2 years, so even if you could write that check, BB probably doesn't have anyone left to do the work.
    05-11-20 04:40 AM
    TCL has already lost millions of dollars on this project. Bringing Pie to the K2 line would mean TCL writing a multi-million dollar check to BB Ltd, which would only deepen the loss. What would motivate TCL to lose millions of extra dollars? They have no more BB-branded phones to sell anyone, so why should they care about brand damage? The fact is that there is zero leverage that anyone has to make this happen, unless YOU are prepared to write that multi-million dollar check on TCL's behalf.

Even then, BB Ltd likely reassigned or released the developers who would have done that work, given that they've essentially had nothing to do for more than 2 years, so even if you could write that check, BB probably doesn't have anyone left to do the work.
    The sad truth.
    05-11-20 04:57 AM
    I'm sure that all obligations were hashed out when they negotiated the ending of the license. BlackBerry supplied a quarterly update for the K2, Pie was archived, and both they and TCL have moved on with other products.

Both parties seem satisfied that their future efforts will not be impacted in any way by failing to release an OS update for a cell phone that few care about.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-11-20 08:11 AM
    As I understand it, they promised 1 major update for the Key1- which did happen, but made no such specific promise for the Key2
    conite likes this.
    05-11-20 08:48 AM
    I'm sure that all obligations were hashed out when they negotiated the ending of the license. BlackBerry supplied a quarterly update for the K2, Pie was archived, and both they and TCL have moved on with other products.

Both parties seem satisfied that their future efforts will not be impacted in any way by failing to release an OS update for a cell phone that few care about.
    I'm not sure PIE was ever baked..... or even planned.

Was rumors that BlackBerry had completed it and was holding till payment was made, but I think Chen knew the summer of 2018 that the Licensee's were not meeting their minimum requirements. BBMP folded and Optiemus tried to do something and failed.... And BBMo release the KEY2 and LE with no real promise of updates. Few slides that went to reviewers might have mentioned updates, but none of the official sales documentation does...

My guess is Chen put them on notice to deliver or things ended... thus things ended. I bet Chen cut cost long before 2019 started.
    Alfista83 likes this.
    05-11-20 10:05 AM
    I called BlackBerry Mobile support and asked them about Key2 getting Pie while addressing end of August the partnership ends. The sales rep said anything can happen between now and end of August. However he said, they have sent multiple emails to their software team, but they are not responding. What kind of department would not respond to their own colleagues? I really hope Key2 gets Pie, just like all of us.
    Getting Android Pie for the KEY2 would be a nice QOL update for the device and definitely extend its lifespan. We would all love a update.

However, I doubt it's going to happen. We would have heard things by now and with contracts ending soon, there is no real incentive to develop the update unfortuntely.
    05-11-20 03:04 PM
    Getting Android Pie for the KEY2 would be a nice QOL update for the device and definitely extend its lifespan. We would all love a update.

However, I doubt it's going to happen. We would have heard things by now and with contracts ending soon, there is no real incentive to develop the update unfortuntely.
    I honestly think the worst thing that could happen is for them to dump Pie on us, and then disappear. A new release usually needs 6 months of follow up patches to sort most of the issues out.
    John Albert and Rico4you like this.
    05-11-20 03:11 PM
    I honestly think the worst thing that could happen is for them to dump Pie on us, and then disappear. A new release usually needs 6 months of follow up patches to sort most of the issues out.
    Absolutely. It's easy to forget that when you are used to having an on-going concern that will address those issues. That's no longer true, so anything that got broken would likely stay broken forever - and ooooooh wouldn't that get people upset! There's just no upside for BBMo/TCL to do that.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-11-20 04:16 PM
    I'm not sure PIE was ever baked..... or even planned.

Was rumors that BlackBerry had completed it and was holding till payment was made, but I think Chen knew the summer of 2018 that the Licensee's were not meeting their minimum requirements. BBMP folded and Optiemus tried to do something and failed.... And BBMo release the KEY2 and LE with no real promise of updates. Few slides that went to reviewers might have mentioned updates, but none of the official sales documentation does...

My guess is Chen put them on notice to deliver or things ended... thus things ended. I bet Chen cut cost long before 2019 started.
    Yeah, I too doubt that it was ever a finished package, but since Google released the first developer preview in early March 2018 it seems reasonable that if Android Secure staff was still employed at BBLtd they would be working on it until the strategic decision was made to pull the plug.
    05-11-20 04:50 PM
    Yeah, I too doubt that it was ever a finished package, but since Google released the first developer preview in early March 2018 it seems reasonable that if Android Secure staff was still employed at BBLtd they would be working on it until the strategic decision was made to pull the plug.
    March 2018 they were hard at work still trying to get Oreo ready for the KEY2 and to upgrade the other devices.... I don't think they were in a position to even begin looking at PIE till after the issue with Oreo for the KEY2 were worked out and the KEYone and Motion were updated and stable. Fall 2018 at the earliest.... but by then the KEY2 sales were water under the bridge, and the Evolve was not doing well.
    05-12-20 07:16 AM
    no pie for you

as for TCL are you gonna send coupl'a goons with baseball bats over to tun'em up for breaking their promise ??
    05-12-20 01:59 PM
    no pie for you

as for TCL are you gonna send coupl'a goons with baseball bats over to tun'em up for breaking their promise ??
    To be absolutely clear. There was no promise.
    Alfista83 likes this.
    05-12-20 02:09 PM
180 123 ...