1. sz2pp's Avatar
    Hello,

    I have a problem with my BlackBerry Key2.
    Some time ago my phone fell into the water. I turned it off right away - however it started to turn on and off automatically until the battery ran out. I left the phone in a bowl of rice for 3 days in a warm place.

    At the moment, as soon as I connect the charger to the phone, it immediately starts and after 3 seconds, a message about low battery pops up and turns off. Few secoands later it starts up again, then turns off after a while and continues this cycle over and over until the charger is disconnected

    Any idea what i should do for now?
    11-15-21 04:16 AM
  2. Dunt Dunt Dunt's Avatar
    Water Damage is random.....

    Might could buy a new battery, as it could have shorted out.
    Might could let it set for a month more in rice or a better moisture absorber.
    Might give is a bath in 99% alcohol to clean and displace the moisture (but not good for finishes).
    Might need a new phone.
    11-15-21 08:03 AM
  3. sz2pp's Avatar
    Thanks for the answer but found the cause of the problem.

    When I disassembled the phone, i started to inspect it using a microscope. There was a trace of a short circuit on the battery connector
    BlackBerry Kay2 - after flooding with water-img-0004.jpg

    The connector was washed in 90% isopropyl alcohol. The battery voltage was below 3.75V, so I decided to charge it with a 4.3V 900mA lab power supply. After an hour, I connected the battery and everything works. However, I am not sure about the condition of the battery - it is almost 3 years old + short circuit, so I ordered a new one.
    11-15-21 01:48 PM
  4. boogywstew's Avatar
    Excellent advice from you!
    11-15-21 03:29 PM
  5. Ben xfg's Avatar
    Thanks for the answer but found the cause of the problem.

    When I disassembled the phone, i started to inspect it using a microscope. There was a trace of a short circuit on the battery connector
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0004.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	451304

    The connector was washed in 90% isopropyl alcohol. The battery voltage was below 3.75V, so I decided to charge it with a 4.3V 900mA lab power supply. After an hour, I connected the battery and everything works. However, I am not sure about the condition of the battery - it is almost 3 years old + short circuit, so I ordered a new one.
    The thing with water and electronics is that it may only start to show signs of damage a few months after the actual bath as the corrosion spreads.
    11-15-21 05:24 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-02-22, 06:27 PM
  2. Should I buy a new battery for my Keyone blackberry?
    By revdaz in forum BlackBerry KEYone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-21, 05:19 PM
  3. Recent updates BlackBerry Android Apps
    By bb10adopter111 in forum BlackBerry HUB+ Suite
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-24-21, 09:41 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-21, 02:20 AM
  5. Blackberry Hub+ Inbox Stopped working
    By mjozwiak1856 in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-21, 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD