Morning: I'm just wondering if my work-around worked for anybody else?

I sent the following e-mail to BlackBerry Mobile support to capture all the symptoms - in the hope that anybody else Googling "BlackBerry Inbox Delays" will find this:-
    --
    Afternoon:-

So.... I have found a workaround.

The symptoms were:-

1/ A significant delay in e-mail arriving in the Inbox. This would normally be a a period of time less than the "Sync interval" as defined for the e-mail account in question.

2/ A huge delay in a push notification being displayed for that e-mail. This could vary from a few minutes, to several hours.

3/ I use "Simple World Clock Widget" to display three timezones on my home screen. These would fail to update and could be a number of minutes, to several hours out.

4/ The device failed to make a Bluetooth connection to the head unit in my car. (This didn't happen every time, but was indicative of the most extreme delays.)

5/ The "Create a home screen shortcut" within "Manage accounts" option would take a significant length of time to materialise (often appearing after having existed Inbox)

6/ Updates and apps would download fine from within Google Play, but it would sit at 100% for a period of time, before installing it. Again, these would vary from several minutes, to an hour.

7/ No alteration to the battery optimisation settings would improve any of the above.

8/ It was #6 that led me to track down this:-

https://support.google.com/googlepla...Bwb2Yj4/?hl=da

The solution that has fixed it for me was the one listed by "swanny1981" - the disabling of the Google App. As soon as I did that, all notifications were restored, and they all arrive in a timely manner.

I'm not 100% sure on the implications of disabling the Google app, but I'd sooner have a functioning Inbox.
    --

It's been over a week since I disabled Google and it's been flawless for me. Google Assistant no longer works in the car, but that could be something else. I haven't bothered investigating as I'm still happier to have functioning e-mail.

BFH
    01-06-20 03:49 AM
    I've been running with the Google app disabled for 2 days now, and the issues with ALL notifications being delayed, simple clock widget not keeping up with time etc, InBox not being up-to-date --- all working correctly, no issues!

Very grateful that swanny1981 was able to identify the Google app as the culprit.

My next plan is to clear cache for the Google app, and re-enable it... I have found I do need it if I want to use voice commands in Android Auto.

I am interested to know if:

Can I stop/restart the Google app when the problem returns - quicker than a reboot! ...I will find out shortly.
    Google know they have a problem, which will be fixed in an upcoming app update... no idea, but hopeful.
    01-07-20 06:03 AM
    im testing the disabed "GOOGLE" and see how it goes. I ask somebody to email me though I didnt receive it right away, maybe bcoz my mail server doesnt support push, but doing a manual refresh does pull and show the latest test email.

doing a manual update from google store also works.

justa side note... i had Google Go installed.
    01-07-20 10:10 AM
    When you do a manual refresh, did you get a notification at the same time?

BFH
    01-07-20 12:15 PM
    A manual refresh of what? I always had to reboot to get things working again - but I hope to learn during today if there is another way to kick the Google app in the nuts other than a reboot.
    01-07-20 01:53 PM
    A manual refresh of the Inbox - as wasalph says that their mail server may not support push. The key thing for me is that a notification appears at the same time as the e-mail appears in Inbox.

Antony99: I'd urge caution that Google will fix the problem. The support page I found dates from 2015. I'd speculate that the hub services is conflicting with the Google App, but that's just me thinking out loud.

I doubt I'm going to waste any more time on it. I can live without the Google front door and - would dread to think how much time I've put into rebuilding my old KEYone and this KEY2.

A reboot was never enough for me, I had to do a factory reset and a rebuild. Not even a 34 second virtual battery pull worked. I got rebuilding the phones down to a fine art, but it was still four or five hours each and every time.

Not to mention the huge amount of time Googling "BlackBerry Key2 Inbox Notification delay". In the end. I followed the symptoms to find a solution - the guy on the Google support page was reporting a different thing - but hell... that's just me tooting my own flute.

BFH
    01-07-20 04:26 PM
    For me, the issue has been a lot more than the InBox not being updated... as I am seeing ALL notifications from ALL apps being delayed for random periods of time, so that is InBox, SMS messaging, everything... but with SMS messaging, if I go into the app, then I can see my new messages that I have yet to be alerted about. But if I go into InBox, I can't yet see the new messages - but they are really there, they are just being hidden. I found this out when on a flight recently, and my KEY2 had been in flight mode for about 20 mins and suddenly I get a few notifications and hey presto new emails are in the Inbox! Equally annoying and interesting!

This morning I re-enabled the Google app - and within an hour I could see notification delays once again... so the Google app is absolutely certainly the cause.

But, it looks like I am seeing positive results since turning off battery optimisation for it... it's been several hours since and my KEY2 and the notifications have been working perfectly ever since. I will need a full day to be sure, but this is looking very good.

I now have an unqualified theory that perhaps and maybe the Google app likes to intercept ALL app notifications including InBox entries too, and to review them all before anything is passed onto the user. Maybe when this app is dozing (battery optimised) then it doesnt get to review the notifications and we don't get to see them until the Google app wakes up and provides its approval for them to be sent to the user.

I would love for a BlackBerry Android expert to pass comment!
    01-07-20 05:52 PM

I now have an unqualified theory that perhaps and maybe the Google app likes to intercept ALL app notifications including InBox entries too, and to review them all before anything is passed onto the user. Maybe when this app is dozing (battery optimised) then it doesnt get to review the notifications and we don't get to see them until the Google app wakes up and provides its approval for them to be sent to the user.

I would love for a BlackBerry Android expert to pass comment!
    i am not an adroid expert, however i believe you are right on saying that google is intercepting everything, because google is a search engine per se and they want to index everything so that searches will give you results that is accurate.

even if offline, google appby itself can do quite a good search result on your smartphone, so meaning it does indexing within the phone itself.
    01-07-20 06:31 PM
    I hava the same issue. My mails are 2 gmails and 1 exchange. None of them receive any new inboxs. I tried to make sure that the hub services running in the background(it is). Tried clear cache and memory, no use. Tried reinstalling all (including the services then the hub), yet no use.
    01-07-20 07:12 PM
    When you do a manual refresh, did you get a notification at the same time?

BFH
    yes.. however i wanna add some test results with regards to email. what i did was i email from a gmail account using a PC to my work account (which is in my bb) under IMAP with sync setting set to every 5mins and PUSH turn ON.

A. bb in sleep mode (screen off)
    = never receive the email at all
    = no notification

then after 30+mins i use the bb to surf web
    = test email came in with notification

B. bb remain on, surf web
    = test email came in within 1-3mins from PC sent time.

both tested under INBOX being optimized and not optimized, same results.
    01-07-20 07:18 PM
    Go into App Info within setting, scroll down to Google app - click on Storage and click "Clear Cache".
    The click Force Stop.

Then go into Battery Optimization, view all apps - scroll down to Google - and then set the Google app to "don't optimize".

These actions have got my KEY2 working correctly again for the first time in about two months!
    01-07-20 07:20 PM
    I do not need to play with battery optimization for any other apps, so Inbox, Hub Services etc CAN all be set to allow battery optimiztion and they now all work fine for me - it is just the Google app that should not be optimized and was stuffing things up.

When I get work emails, my KEY2 and iPhone both now notify at the same time... my Outlook on PC app follows 15 seconds later.
    01-07-20 07:22 PM
    I do not need to play with battery optimization for any other apps, so Inbox, Hub Services etc CAN all be set to allow battery optimiztion and they now all work fine for me - it is just the Google app that should not be optimized and was stuffing things up.

When I get work emails, my KEY2 and iPhone both now notify at the same time... my Outlook on PC app follows 15 seconds later.
    Morning:-

I'm afraid that it doesn't work for me. I re-enabled the Google app and set Battery Optimisation to off. I then went to Play store to download the update for it. Between re-enabling it and going to Play, notifications failed to come in and the Simple World Clock Widget stopped updating. It then downloaded and took an age to install.

I though that I'd give it a chance, so I've left it an hour, but in that time not a single notification came up, despite half a dozen e-mails arriving in Evolution and Thunderbird. I tried rebooting the phone, but still nothing. On the other hand, as soon as I force stopped the Google app, miraculously everything "caught up" within seconds.

The Google app is dead. Long live the BlackBerry Inbox....

BFH
    01-08-20 03:16 AM
    Sorry to hear yours isn't working - mine is still rock solid, so disabling battery optimisation for the Google app has given me the results I have been searching for these past two months.

Maybe you also need to clear cache and data for Playstore and Play Service and Google app too.

Good luck!
    01-08-20 04:18 PM
    Morning:-

I'm afraid that it doesn't work for me. I re-enabled the Google app and set Battery Optimisation to off. I then went to Play store to download the update for it. Between re-enabling it and going to Play, notifications failed to come in and the Simple World Clock Widget stopped updating. It then downloaded and took an age to install.

I though that I'd give it a chance, so I've left it an hour, but in that time not a single notification came up, despite half a dozen e-mails arriving in Evolution and Thunderbird. I tried rebooting the phone, but still nothing. On the other hand, as soon as I force stopped the Google app, miraculously everything "caught up" within seconds.

The Google app is dead. Long live the BlackBerry Inbox....

BFH
    Google app has nothing to do with bugs in inbox.
    01-09-20 12:43 AM
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I know for certain that allowing the Google app to doze will delay emails being in the inbox - which I have detailed above. This started about two months ago, presumably with a release of the Google app at that time. Don't know how many users this affects.

I have turned Google battery optimisation on - and the problem comes back in an hour - turn it back on, problem goes away.

I have been chasing this problem for two months, and for me the problem is now understood and solved.
    01-09-20 01:01 AM
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I know for certain that allowing the Google app to doze will delay emails being in the inbox - which I have detailed above. This started about two months ago, presumably with a release of the Google app at that time. Don't know how many users this affects.

I have turned Google battery optimisation on - and the problem comes back in an hour - turn it back on, problem goes away.

I have been chasing this problem for two months, and for me the problem is now understood and solved.
    Yup. I don’t get what you’re refering to google app. Google apps are bunch of apps that you could install/uninstall. To work properly they need google services running in the background just like how blackberry suite apps need hub+ service. Are you refering to uninstalling the google apps or also disabling the services too?
    01-09-20 02:59 AM
    Hi, I am talking about just the one app called "Google" which if you open displays the Google logo and a search bar, or button you can click for an audio search. It's bottom menu has options "Discover", "Updates", "Search", "Recent".

It tries to be really helpful with everything going on in your life and knows about upcoming tickets to events, invoices you need to be paying, what shares you may be watching on the stock exchange etc etc.

Even though I don't use the Gmail app on this device, I do use Gmail for all my general non-work email, which is how it is scanning my stuff and learning about me. Google obviously scan Gmail activity, and input what it learns into my Google world - and the Google android app gets to tap into that content too.

Some people find this very helpful - others may find it frightening!

Anyhow, my unproven theory is that the Google Android app is very busy sucking on everything it can, and I believe it is able to intercept ALL the Android device notifications on my KEY2 - which presumably get fed back into my Google world for analysis.

An update was made the the Google Android app approx 2 months ago, and ever since then my KEY2 notifications and BlackBerry Inbox content have been delayed for a seemingly random period of up to 25 mins.

Curiously, if I go into the standard Android text messaging app - I can see new messages before even being told about them.
    If I go into Blackberry Inbox I might not see new messages, but they are actually there - I can not see them.
    I know they are really there, as on a recent flight my device was offline in flight mode and 20 mins later I got new email notifications and only then did they appear in my Inbox! WTF!!!

Since turning off battery optimisation for the Google app - all my Inbox and Android notification issues have gone away - I am instantly notified of all messages now.

My guess is that when the Google app was allowed to doze, my notifications were delayed as the Google app had not yet intercepted them for it's own evil needs before I was allowed to see them.

This problem has been driving me nuts for 2 months now, and I was so close to having to leave the KEY2 because of it - but thankfully a superstar on CB had already found the Google app to be responsible and this led me to the resolution that works perfectly for me!
    01-09-20 03:25 AM
    Afternoon:

I might be going down an entirely different rabbit hole here, but I have two Google accounts configured under Accounts on my phone. A work G-Suite one and a personal Gmail account. (For the avoidance of doubt these are Google Accounts not Hub accounts). That /may/ be unusual....

Equally, I have three accounts set up on Inbox, The G-Suite one using OAuth2, a POP3 one and an IMAP one.

Can somebody tell me if this is common on their device and they've had similar problems as has been described in this thread?

I'm probably chasing parked cars with this, but there's something sitting at the back of my mind....

Thanks in advance.

BFH
    01-10-20 07:21 AM
    Google App disabled for sometime... and the email still came in in batches, sometimes without notification.
    01-11-20 03:17 AM
    I had this problem on my Motion which my wife is now using. I am using a KEYone Black Edition. The issue turned out to be the additional memory card I had in the device. It was going bad and causing all sorts of problems. Some apps would run perfectly well while others either ran badly or not at all. I bought a new memory card and it fixed everything.
    01-11-20 05:02 AM
    Google App disabled for sometime... and the email still came in in batches, sometimes without notification.
    I'm really sorry to hear that - It's incredibly infuriating. I presume you've tried clearing the cache of the Inbox and Hub services before doing a 32 second "battery pull" reset?

When I found the work around, I had only rebuilt it the previous day.

I take it that you've checked the Battery Optimisation for the various applications?

I have to confess the BBMo are being less than helpful. They want a video of the issue, despite the fact that I sent an e-mail (that appears earlier in the thread) describing them.

I don't know what else to suggest.....

BFH
    01-11-20 09:10 AM
    I had this problem on my Motion which my wife is now using. I am using a KEYone Black Edition. The issue turned out to be the additional memory card I had in the device. It was going bad and causing all sorts of problems. Some apps would run perfectly well while others either ran badly or not at all. I bought a new memory card and it fixed everything.
    That's interesting, as this was one of the first things that I started investigating on my KEYone when it started having notification delays. I had a new 256Gb SanDisk SD card formatted using FAT. I seemed to think that my problems started about the same time. I used to get "SD Card being checked for errors" message and then my KEYone would fall off the rails.

I replaced it with an Integral 128Gb card that I let the KEYone format it's self. It did exFAT. It lasted a week before the delays reappeared. I should add that I even ran my KEYone Black Edition without an SD card to see if that helped.... It didn't.

I now have the 256Gb SD card, formatted using exFAT in my KEY2 and it's still working well for me.

This is just so weird.... If I could get away with it I think I'd go back to my Passport.

Come back BB10 all is forgiven!

BFH
    Last edited by BeltFedHippy; 01-11-20 at 09:21 AM. Reason: adding more info.
    01-11-20 09:18 AM
    Hi, I am talking about just the one app called "Google" which if you open displays the Google logo and a search bar, or button you can click for an audio search. It's bottom menu has options "Discover", "Updates", "Search", "Recent".

It tries to be really helpful with everything going on in your life and knows about upcoming tickets to events, invoices you need to be paying, what shares you may be watching on the stock exchange etc etc.

Even though I don't use the Gmail app on this device, I do use Gmail for all my general non-work email, which is how it is scanning my stuff and learning about me. Google obviously scan Gmail activity, and input what it learns into my Google world - and the Google android app gets to tap into that content too.

Some people find this very helpful - others may find it frightening!

Anyhow, my unproven theory is that the Google Android app is very busy sucking on everything it can, and I believe it is able to intercept ALL the Android device notifications on my KEY2 - which presumably get fed back into my Google world for analysis.

An update was made the the Google Android app approx 2 months ago, and ever since then my KEY2 notifications and BlackBerry Inbox content have been delayed for a seemingly random period of up to 25 mins.

Curiously, if I go into the standard Android text messaging app - I can see new messages before even being told about them.
    If I go into Blackberry Inbox I might not see new messages, but they are actually there - I can not see them.
    I know they are really there, as on a recent flight my device was offline in flight mode and 20 mins later I got new email notifications and only then did they appear in my Inbox! WTF!!!

Since turning off battery optimisation for the Google app - all my Inbox and Android notification issues have gone away - I am instantly notified of all messages now.

My guess is that when the Google app was allowed to doze, my notifications were delayed as the Google app had not yet intercepted them for it's own evil needs before I was allowed to see them.

This problem has been driving me nuts for 2 months now, and I was so close to having to leave the KEY2 because of it - but thankfully a superstar on CB had already found the Google app to be responsible and this led me to the resolution that works perfectly for me!
    Lol.. Makes no sense even more. Google app is just a standalone app. It has nothing to do with delayed notification in hub. For me, It should be caused by something within hub+ services that runs in the background. Either the hub itself is still buggy or the android system kills it because it drains too much battery.
    01-11-20 04:58 PM
    That's what I thought, but as I have now stated about 12 times, if the Google app is allowed to doze on my device, then ALL the KEY2 notifications are delayed for up to 25 mins. This proves that the Google app is not just a standalone app, and that it is hooking into ALL the device notifications.

I have also stated at least 12 times that this is affecting ALL the device notifications, and not just Blackberry Inbox.
    chain13 likes this.
    01-12-20 04:30 AM
66 123