Prime Day Deals:FireTV Stick $15 | Echo Dot $23
12-03-18 11:38 AM
28 12
tools
    I'm not sure if everyone is aware as I haven't seen a topic on this.

It's possible to use substratum theming engine on the KEY2. All you need is the (paid) plug-in andromeda and you're able to theme quite a few apps. I'm using the "Swift Black" theme on my KEY2 and it's a huge help to have a mostly black UI. When installing the Swift Black theme, for example, I select the "Android 8.1 - Nexus/Pixel" option and it works quite well on Blackberry KEY2. System UI, dialer, soft keyboard and other apps are themed quite nicely. You'll have to replace the Calendar and Contacts app if you want those themed but it's doable.

It does not theme BB HUB, but they now have a dark theme for BB HUB enabled in Settings.

I'll likely post a guide at a later time.
    Adam Rees, AlUrNiMa, Hphv and 1 others like this.
    09-11-18 03:11 PM
    Thank you very much for posting this. I did not realise it would work as I tried on my Keyone and failed.

I bought Swift Black for my note 8 and it worked great.

I'll give it a try now!!!!
    09-11-18 03:54 PM
    Some photos of the black themed Key 2.

Settings
    Instagram
    Whatsapp
    Google News
    YouTube

AmritD likes this.
    09-11-18 05:12 PM
    Link? A little help here for us cavemen?
    09-11-18 05:38 PM
    Here's a quick step-by-step.... I'll try to do a more thorough guide / video later on.

1) Download subtratum from Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ekt.substratum
    2) Download andromeda from Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jekt.andromeda ($3 I believe)
    3) Download a desired subtratum theme that is compatible with Android 8.1:

Swift Black - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ftblack.layers
    Swift Dark - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ark.substratum

4) Connect your KEY2 to a PC and be sure all other phones are disconnected from the same PC. Only the KEY2 should be connected.

5) On the KEY2, navigate to Settings > System > About Phone, tap on "Build number" 5x to unlock the Developer Options. Once unlocked, navigate to Settings > System > Developer Options, find USB Debugging and turn it on.

6) For Windows, download the Andromeda PC client here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195928947

7) Unzip that file in a directory and run the file called "start_andromeda.bat" and hit Enter on the keyboard.

Now, the fun part!

8) Open subtratum on your KEY2. Open the theme you wish to install, like Swift Black. Click Next.

9) Select "Android 8.1 - Nexus/Pixel" from Overlay drop-down menu. Enable the switch to the right of the drop-down to enable all overlays (themes).

10) Scroll through the list of overlays and be sure to select your version where applicable. For example, you'll see Google and your installed version number. You must also select the version number from the drop-down list that corresponds to your installed version. IE: If you have Google 8.15.15, you'll want to select "Stable Version - 8.15 - Android 8.1)"

11) Once you've gone through the list of overlays, click the action button on the bottom right and click "Build & Enable". Wait for the process to finish and then restart your phone.

12) Repeat step 7.

13) Open subtratum, navigate to the Manager tab, click the switch to check all overlays and click the action button. Select "Enable selected" and wait for the process to finish.

14) Restart your phone again, unlock the phone and repeat step 7. You must repeat step 7 when your KEY2 is connected to your PC every time you want to use subtratum.

15) All done! Enjoy :-)

Notes: This is NOT rooting a phone nor is it hacking a phone. This does not void your warranty. This is simply a developer method Google enabled in Android to allow for custom overlays. If after following these steps you have any app issues, you can always open subtratum, select all overlays and click "Disable selected" followed by "Uninstall selected". The ability of an overlay to "theme" an app depends on the version of the app installed. Meaning, if you update your apps or have auto-update enabled from the Google Play Store, it is likely you'll lose the overlay until the theme is also updated (IE: Swift Black is updated.). My suggestion is to update your apps and theme overlays once a week.
    Vistaus, AmritD, deezy87 and 10 others like this.
    09-11-18 06:52 PM
    Great write up. Perfectly detailed and exactly how to get this working on your device.

Great job OP.
    09-12-18 02:59 AM
    I'm getting old, that's too much work lol. Great guide though OP.
    09-12-18 07:00 PM
    Thanks. It certainly seems like a lot of work when I look at that guide but once you do it for the first time, it's super easy.
    09-12-18 07:28 PM
    I agree too much work lol

Looks great though
    09-13-18 04:34 AM
    09-13-18 03:13 PM
    You and me both! For a second there I thought I was in a bb10 pp tread how to set up the playstore.
    09-13-18 11:20 PM
    does this work for keyone? dont want to buy andromeda if it doesnt...
    09-13-18 11:21 PM
    can't update my apps in the playstore after implementing the overlay.
    09-14-18 07:08 AM
    can't update my apps in the playstore after implementing the overlay.
    Open subtratum and click the Manage tab, check the "Google Play Store" and click the Action button, click "Disable Selected."

Google Play Store often conflicts with overlays - I usually leave the Play Store unchecked / disabled when I install a theme.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-14-18 12:43 PM
    Good stuff thanks.
    09-14-18 01:17 PM
    It "should" work on KEYone. When following the instructions, you'd select "Android 8.0 - Nexus/Pixel" instead of Android 8.1 for KEYone still running 8.0. I don't have a KEYone so I can't test.

Generally speaking, the app devs are very good about issuing a refund if the process doesn't work on your device.
    09-17-18 07:41 AM
    it worked, thanks. Had to install BB drivers and also had to play around with some themes as would get grey or black text on black backgrounds
    09-17-18 12:37 PM
    Any battery or ram issues with this that anyone has experienced?
    09-17-18 01:56 PM
    Nope all working perfectly. No issues.
    09-17-18 04:18 PM
    Not me. I'm even running several more quick setting changes too!Black Theming KEY2 - substratum + andromeda + Swift Black = love-screenshot_20180915-212127.jpg
    09-17-18 04:25 PM
    I just tried it on my KeyOne and it seems to work pretty good. I have not run it for too long so I don't know if the black theme sticks but so far so good( no, I mean so far so awesome)
    jamesharmeling and AlUrNiMa like this.
    09-19-18 04:55 PM
    dirty dark theme works pretty well on keyone also
    09-19-18 09:36 PM
    OMG it's like going back to passport and trying to get apps to work lol is there a dark theme that's simple
    10-08-18 06:55 AM
    Here's a quick step-by-step.... I'll try to do a more thorough guide / video later on.

1) Download subtratum from Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ekt.substratum
    2) Download andromeda from Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jekt.andromeda ($3 I believe)
    3) Download a desired subtratum theme that is compatible with Android 8.1:

Swift Black - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ftblack.layers
    Swift Dark - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ark.substratum

4) Connect your KEY2 to a PC and be sure all other phones are disconnected from the same PC. Only the KEY2 should be connected.

5) On the KEY2, navigate to Settings > System > About Phone, tap on "Build number" 5x to unlock the Developer Options. Once unlocked, navigate to Settings > System > Developer Options, find USB Debugging and turn it on.

6) For Windows, download the Andromeda PC client here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=889764386195928947

7) Unzip that file in a directory and run the file called "start_andromeda.bat" and hit Enter on the keyboard.

Now, the fun part!

8) Open subtratum on your KEY2. Open the theme you wish to install, like Swift Black. Click Next.

9) Select "Android 8.1 - Nexus/Pixel" from Overlay drop-down menu. Enable the switch to the right of the drop-down to enable all overlays (themes).

10) Scroll through the list of overlays and be sure to select your version where applicable. For example, you'll see Google and your installed version number. You must also select the version number from the drop-down list that corresponds to your installed version. IE: If you have Google 8.15.15, you'll want to select "Stable Version - 8.15 - Android 8.1)"

11) Once you've gone through the list of overlays, click the action button on the bottom right and click "Build & Enable". Wait for the process to finish and then restart your phone.

12) Repeat step 7.

13) Open subtratum, navigate to the Manager tab, click the switch to check all overlays and click the action button. Select "Enable selected" and wait for the process to finish.

14) Restart your phone again, unlock the phone and repeat step 7. You must repeat step 7 when your KEY2 is connected to your PC every time you want to use subtratum.

15) All done! Enjoy :-)

Notes: This is NOT rooting a phone nor is it hacking a phone. This does not void your warranty. This is simply a developer method Google enabled in Android to allow for custom overlays. If after following these steps you have any app issues, you can always open subtratum, select all overlays and click "Disable selected" followed by "Uninstall selected". The ability of an overlay to "theme" an app depends on the version of the app installed. Meaning, if you update your apps or have auto-update enabled from the Google Play Store, it is likely you'll lose the overlay until the theme is also updated (IE: Swift Black is updated.). My suggestion is to update your apps and theme overlays once a week.
    Do i have to repeat step 7 everytime i am rebooting the phone? What about System Updates?
    10-24-18 12:28 PM
    This is DOPE!

Only thing that has me 'meh' is that under the word substitution area, the text at the top is all black on top of a black theme and BBM isn't able to get dark themed. Maybe in a future update it canbe done.
    Last edited by deezy87; 10-27-18 at 10:36 AM.
    10-27-18 10:26 AM
28 12