So what is the best method to transfer files (incl. 20gb+ of media like pics/vids), contacts and general settings without uploading to Google cloud?

Excuse the ignorance but last time I did something like this was between a priv and key1 many years ago and cannot remember how I did it.

Thanks
    06-28-19 09:35 AM
    How about just using a large SD card if you don't want to use Google. Good luck with the new device
    06-28-19 10:09 AM
    How about just using a large SD card if you don't want to use Google. Good luck with the new device
    Thank you!

Everything I have on this phone is on a large SD, however, it's been formatted to work as if its built in memory.

I read that because of this I cannot transfer it to another phone.

Is that correct?
    06-28-19 01:30 PM
    So what is the best method to transfer files (incl. 20gb+ of media like pics/vids), contacts and general settings without uploading to Google cloud?

Excuse the ignorance but last time I did something like this was between a priv and key1 many years ago and cannot remember how I did it.

Thanks
    Congrats!

BB EU store right?
    06-28-19 01:44 PM
    Congrats!

BB EU store right?
    Thanks.

Yes for once they had the red ed., with the UK charger so I thought time I'd risk it as I see no moment in regards to a new key3.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-28-19 02:25 PM
    Did you tried "content transfer " ? Which is use SD.
    06-28-19 04:22 PM
    Did you tried "content transfer " ? Which is use SD.
    Hi no that's where I am a bit stuck.

I need to move content from an SD that has been formatted as internal memory.

Therefore, wondered if there is a way to transfer all of that to the new BlackBerry without uploading to Google.
    06-29-19 02:32 AM
    I see, probably you may try some backup app which not use Google drive ( but may use one drive, dorpBox, etc)
    Michael Liang likes this.
    06-29-19 04:54 AM
    I see, probably you may try some backup app which not use Google drive ( but may use one drive, dorpBox, etc)
    Is there any that people on the forum will vouch for as being reliable?
    06-29-19 12:26 PM
    Hi no that's where I am a bit stuck.

I need to move content from an SD that has been formatted as internal memory.

Therefore, wondered if there is a way to transfer all of that to the new BlackBerry without uploading to Google.
    I believe you painted yourself into a corner when you chose to use SD card in the Adoptable Storage format, as I believe it's called.

Think of it this way, backup into Google or some other service. I personally would trust Google over some third party that's based on Android therefore Google still.

If your current device ever crashed under your current setup, you'd lose everything anyway.
    06-29-19 12:35 PM
    I believe you painted yourself into a corner when you chose to use SD card in the Adoptable Storage format, as I believe it's called.

Think of it this way, backup into Google or some other service. I personally would trust Google over some third party that's based on Android therefore Google still.

If your current device ever crashed under your current setup, you'd lose everything anyway.
    Thank you - yes I believe you are right. I only noticed the drawback of this as time went on.

Is there no android to android link through Windows if both are connected to the PC?
    06-29-19 12:47 PM
    Is there no android to android link through Windows if both are connected to the PC?
    No - Android was designed from the start for cloud-sync. You can, of course, connect to a PC and do all of the work manually, app by app, and that will work just fine, but there's no single backup-and-restore tool because you could be moving from any Android brand and model to any other Android brand and model, and there are lots of potential differences that would break such a tool.
    06-29-19 02:36 PM
    No - Android was designed from the start for cloud-sync. You can, of course, connect to a PC and do all of the work manually, app by app, and that will work just fine, but there's no single backup-and-restore tool because you could be moving from any Android brand and model to any other Android brand and model, and there are lots of potential differences that would break such a tool.
    Thank you Troy, for the explanation. Obviously, I quickly reached my technology explanation limits...
    06-29-19 02:41 PM
    Thank you Troy! Does BlackBerry have any tool for BlackBerry android to BlackBerry android transfer?
    06-29-19 02:49 PM

Thanks
    I use MEEMmemory cable. I back up my phone and can restore from a backup or transfer to a new device. I like it!

When I ordered it it did not come with a usb-c connector, only the standard Android one but I ordered an adaptor and it works great.
    06-29-19 04:12 PM
    Thank you Troy! Does BlackBerry have any tool for BlackBerry android to BlackBerry android transfer?
    Yes, but I believe it requires either SD card or cloud backup, and it also has limitations in what it can backup and restore.
    06-29-19 07:25 PM
    I use MEEMmemory cable. I back up my phone and can restore from a backup or transfer to a new device. I like it!

When I ordered it it did not come with a usb-c connector, only the standard Android one but I ordered an adaptor and it works great.

Thanks, I just searched on Amazon and found this. May order this!
    06-30-19 04:14 AM
    Yes, but I believe it requires either SD card or cloud backup, and it also has limitations in what it can backup and restore.
    Hm ok thanks
    06-30-19 04:14 AM
    Is there any that people on the forum will vouch for as being reliable?
    I have use SMSbackup, which is only transfer sms and contacts. May not fully suitable for you.
    07-01-19 07:39 AM
    BlackBerry Content Transfer... Transfer your data using Google Drive or a private Wi-Fi network (such as a home network). You can create a password to encrypt your data while it's being transferred.
    07-01-19 08:11 AM
    [QUOTE=Zebra 99;13410649]I have use SMSbackup, which is only transfer sms and contacts. May not fully suitable for you./QUOTE]

Thank you but you're right this might not work in line with my needs.
    07-01-19 08:49 AM
    BlackBerry Content Transfer... Transfer your data using Google Drive or a private Wi-Fi network (such as a home network). You can create a password to encrypt your data while it's being transferred.
    Thank you. I will try this today.

Do you (or anyone else) know how I can undo the current option on my SD (to work as internal memory) once the data has been transferred?

I ask so I have the ability to use this memory card on the new phone but I cannot seem to find the options in settings.
    07-01-19 08:51 AM
    Thank you. I will try this today.

Do you (or anyone else) know how I can undo the current option on my SD (to work as internal memory) once the data has been transferred?

I ask so I have the ability to use this memory card on the new phone but I cannot seem to find the options in settings.
    I'm no IT guy, but I think you have to wipe the SD card, (reformat?) in order to use in new device. I also wouldn't use it the same way again. Perhaps for corruption purposes, just buy a new SD card.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-19 05:58 PM
    I'm no IT guy, but I think you have to wipe the SD card, (reformat?) in order to use in new device. I also wouldn't use it the same way again. Perhaps for corruption purposes, just buy a new SD card.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks - when I go Into the device storage options, I am unable to do anything with the SD card.

So will I need to format it using a pc?

Tried to drag and drop everything from SD to pc to back up but that's not even working: (
    07-02-19 07:31 AM
    Thanks - when I go Into the device storage options, I am unable to do anything with the SD card.

So will I need to format it using a pc?

Tried to drag and drop everything from SD to pc to back up but that's not even working: (
    If you used the card as internal or adoptable storage the data in encrypted... and not accessible outside of the phone. You mess with it much, and it might not be accessible inside the phone anymore. Let Google do what Google does to backup your phone and data... Go into settings and make sure you phone is backing up. Go into Google Photo and make sure those are being backed up. Use OneDrive or another cloud Service to provide additional backups... can never have too many backups.

Once you have backed up or moved the files from your phone... then you should be able to reformat the drive.. But as Chuck suggested, if your getting a new phone... buy a new SD Card.
    07-02-19 07:40 AM