Free version of BBM has existed for how long already. NOBODY cared before, they won't now.
    Yeah, I get that. But I really think there could be a huge market for a truly secure messaging app that doesn't collect user data.

BlackBerry is apparently in the business of securing communications. That's their whole business model now and BBMe is software

Some well placed ads comparing it to the competition might be worth the investment.
    05-03-19 08:26 PM
    Yeah, I get that. But I really think there could be a huge market for a truly secure messaging app that doesn't collect user data.

BlackBerry is apparently in the business of securing communications. That's their whole business model now and BBMe is software

Some well placed ads comparing it to the competition might be worth the investment.
    That's been the business model and even the secured competition barely makes a dent. People want Facebook and WhatsApp for it's conveniences.

The secret of life is giving people what they want. The silent majority rules. Just how things are.
    05-03-19 08:31 PM
    Free version of BBM has existed for how long already. NOBODY cared before, they won't now.
    Hey Chuck... I cared about BBM and a great number of my friends in South America do too. I'm working on getting them to transition to BBMe.

Bob
    05-03-19 08:53 PM
    Hey Chuck... I cared about BBM and a great number of my friends in South America do too. I'm working on getting them to transition to BBMe.

Bob
    You know I mean that as percentage of the billion ± users. My family in Peru refuses to switch back to BBM from WhatsApp because they see no advantage. Maybe in Venezuela or some other countries with serious level of civil unrest.
    05-03-19 09:01 PM
    Maybe in Venezuela or some other countries with serious level of civil unrest.
    Yes, BBM is alive and well in Venezuela. Between myself and mi amiga venezolana we have good number of our retired BlackBerrys still in service and using BBM in Venezuela... 👍

Bob
    05-03-19 09:13 PM
    Yes, BBM is alive and well in Venezuela. Between myself and mi amiga venezolana we have good number of our retired BlackBerrys still in service and using BBM in Venezuela... 👍

Bob
    That's makes sense in that scenario and I'm sorry for all their collective problems and struggles. All seriousness, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and friends affected. Our problems here aren't really problems in bigger perspective and context.
    05-03-19 09:19 PM
    That's makes sense in that scenario and I'm sorry for all their collective problems and struggles. All seriousness, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and friends affected. Our problems here aren't really problems in bigger perspective and context.
    Thanks Chuck for your kind words... as you are well aware, things are a serious mess currently... very unstable and fluid. All family and friends that haven't been able to leave are doing okay... it's a day to day situation these days.

Bob
    05-03-19 09:23 PM
    You know I mean that as percentage of the billion ± users. My family in Peru refuses to switch back to BBM from WhatsApp because they see no advantage. Maybe in Venezuela or some other countries with serious level of civil unrest.
    You could remind them about the constant facebook platform outages. (it affects whatsapp too). BBMe or bbm 10 hasn't had an outage since BIS was phased out by most carriers (except where it still exists). Even then, those outages were so small and short compared to facebook going down for 12-24 hours. Last few zuckerburg outages were due to a cyberattack (ddos).

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    05-03-19 09:44 PM
    Sure, but those same people will but a $6 Starbucks coffee every day. Just give them a $20 bill and cover them for 3 years. Jeez.

And there are no real free alternatives. At least nothing that doesn't spy on you. Except Signal maybe.
    Well, not up to me to fork out money to make someone else use BBMe I guess... As others said, if they were already not motivated to use the free BBMc there is little hope they would use BBMe. In particular as the free Signal does a pretty decent job, secure and private (sms, messenging, calls). Tough one for BB Ltd.
    05-04-19 02:58 AM
    That's been the business model and even the secured competition barely makes a dent. People want Facebook and WhatsApp for it's conveniences.

The secret of life is giving people what they want. The silent majority rules. Just how things are.
    I don't agree with you. The silent majoritiy is not always right. Such thinking made the holocaust possible.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 05-04-19 at 04:44 AM.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    05-04-19 03:27 AM
    I don't agree with you. The silent majoritiy is not always right. Such thinking made the holocaust possible.
    It's quite a jump and oversimplification to from using Facebook and WhatsApp instead of BBMe to Nazi implementation of final solution that led to Holocaust and it's horrific legacy.

Either way, if people choose not to use BBMe for any reason, the silent majority has chosen what platforms win. It's not about right or wrong, it's just economic principles and viability.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-04-19 12:56 PM
    I don't agree with putting economic principals on the first place. I prefer ethic principals. Sorry, the "silent majoritiy" is a horror for me.
    05-04-19 01:02 PM
    I don't agree with putting economic principals on the first place. I prefer ethic principals. Sorry, the "silent majoritiy" is a horror for me.
    Unfortunately, enough people have to agree with you and support your idea economically in order for somebody to build what you want. In this case, you have to convince people to support BBMe over Facebook/Messenger and WhatsApp plus others like Telegram or Signal etc. Unfortunately, the majority of people (silent or not) have chosen the other platforms long ago. BBM and it’s variations have been around free and people haven’t supported. Good luck, but I’m afraid that you face an uphill battle.
    05-04-19 01:32 PM
    Unfortunately, enough people have to agree with you and support your idea economically in order for somebody to build what you want. In this case, you have to convince people to support BBMe over Facebook/Messenger and WhatsApp plus others like Telegram or Signal etc. Unfortunately, the majority of people (silent or not) have chosen the other platforms long ago. BBM and it’s variations have been around free and people haven’t supported. Good luck, but I’m afraid that you face an uphill battle.
    I know it's a hard way...And I am glad, that you are in my BBMe supporters group. 😀
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    05-04-19 01:39 PM
    I know it's a hard way...And I am glad, that you are in my BBMe supporters group. 😀
    I enjoy BBMe, and enjoy participating, I'm just going to keep my expectations with friends and family realistic. There's no reason to strain those relationships over a messenger app.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    05-04-19 05:08 PM
40 12