I just upgraded from a Keyone to the Key2 and have it all set up and optimized in the same way (with the same apps) as with the Keyone. All in all, a fine device. Two positives that really stand out to me was the speedkey (a god-send for multitaskers) and the more consistent cellular reception (I notice that the antenna gaps have been moved to the bottom of the device instead of the sides). Even the camera isn't as bad as I thought. I just wish BB would better optimize the software.

However, I'm trying to track down a rather persistent wake-lock (over two hours in a 24 hour period) on Android 8.1 which wasn't an issue on the Keyone (also on 8.1). Using GSAM battery monitor (with ADB commands enabled), I've tracked the wake-locks to "RCM Phone" (which appears to be a catch-all bucket for a whole bunch of wireless functions. While the Keyone (which didn't have this issue) was able to get up to an 8-hour screen-on-time, I'm barely making it past 6 hours on the Key2. Even on airplane mode, there is something in "RCM Phone" that is persistently waking up the phone. Resets have no effect.

I've googled this and it appears that other users of other makes/models have also experienced this.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Cheers.
    10-29-18 12:14 PM
    There was another post on it here earlier, but like you found out, it affects quite a few devices across the board. It's essentially a Google initiated service so not sure there's any direct user facing fix for it. It would likely have to come by way of a carrier services update or messages update. Both which, realistically, update pretty often.
    10-29-18 01:04 PM
    There was another post on it here earlier, but like you found out, it affects quite a few devices across the board. It's essentially a Google initiated service so not sure there's any direct user facing fix for it. It would likely have to come by way of a carrier services update or messages update. Both which, realistically, update pretty often.
    Yeah, it was me that did the earlier post. But hmm...not exactly an optimum situation we have here for certain devices/makes running on 8.1. While I'd like to pin down the differences between the K1 and K2 implementation of 8.1 (as the K1 could run for days if I didn't touch it and was using something else), I've sold the K1 and don't have anything to compare with!
    10-29-18 01:13 PM
    Can I ask what measures you put in place to maximise battery? I too am struggling more with Key2 than Key1. With Key1 I would easily get 2 days of use. Key2 not so much.

is there a way to use adb write secure settings function to always have battery saver on? I would also like to know if it's possible to only enable location for maps and switch it off again once maps app is closed.

I already do all of the other recommended savings in power centre, keep location off generally and have tasker profiles for turning things off at night or when I place the phone face down (handy for meetings).
    10-29-18 02:45 PM
    Can I ask what measures you put in place to maximise battery? I too am struggling more with Key2 than Key1. With Key1 I would easily get 2 days of use. Key2 not so much.

is there a way to use adb write secure settings function to always have battery saver on? I would also like to know if it's possible to only enable location for maps and switch it off again once maps app is closed.

I already do all of the other recommended savings in power centre, keep location off generally and have tasker profiles for turning things off at night or when I place the phone face down (handy for meetings).
    Do me a favour and install GSAM battery monitor (then delete when you're done. Press on "App Usage" and tell me if "RCS Phone" is at the top? This wasn't the case for the Keyone on Android 8.1 (or my DTEK 50). The main GSAM screen will also tell you how long the phone has been "Held Awake" for. My Dtek50 (used to forward all my phone calls and sms's) and KeyOne before are "Held Awake" for but a mere fraction of the Key2.

If it is, then I'm afraid we can't do too much until Android itself is updated I believe. Don't get me wrong, battery life isn't horrible, but I know it could be better. I'm pretty sure it's not the phone (or any external app's) fault.
    Last edited by ajwan; 10-29-18 at 03:12 PM.
    10-29-18 03:00 PM
    installed, opened, closed, uninstalled. "RCS phone" doesn't appear at all.

I'm also getting 6hrs screen on time.
    10-29-18 03:15 PM
    installed, opened, closed, uninstalled. "RCS phone" doesn't appear at all.

I'm also getting 6hrs screen on time.
    OK thanks. Some people also say that if "RCS Phone" has process related to the "Kernel (Android OS)" and that the two are interconnected. If "RCS Phone" isn't sucking the battery, then "Kernel (Android OS)" most certainly is. Can you check?

What does your "Held Awake" say (might not say much as GSAM works best if a full battery cycle has passed)?
    10-29-18 03:23 PM
    my batter life has drastically been reduced w the newest update. (ABI067)
    Haing trouble tracking it down as well.
    10-29-18 03:30 PM
    OK thanks. Some people also say that if "RCS Phone" has process related to the "Kernel (Android OS)" and that the two are interconnected. If "RCS Phone" isn't sucking the battery, then "Kernel (Android OS)" most certainly is. Can you check?

What does your "Held Awake" say (might not say much as GSAM works best if a full battery cycle has passed)?
    I'll reinstall it and report back tomorrow. As you say it needs to run a while to present some stats.
    10-29-18 05:13 PM
    something is definitely up - my aftermarket desktop charger now charges at a trickle - and doesn't boost.
    add in that my battery life is noticeably shorter
    both issues were fine before the update.
    10-29-18 08:38 PM
    RCS phone has now appeared. It's not just you...
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Life Key2 (ABI067)-7402.jpg  
    10-30-18 05:25 PM
    held awake is 2hrs 10 since last charge 5hrs ago.

that is ridiculous...
    10-30-18 05:27 PM
    RCS phone has now appeared. It's not just you...
    Thanks for this. I'm on the hunt. I'm going to turn each of these RCS Phone components off one at a time every day to see what happens. I'm taking risk on this I know. But I'd like to get to the bottom of this.
    10-31-18 02:29 PM
    Any answer to these questions? My Key2 battery life is good (can get me through a day) but nothing like Keyone. Actually I feel like my Mate 9 with EMUI battery optimization does better. Again it's not bad but not what I expected from the newest Berry. Any solutions? I'll keep looking.
    11-18-18 07:48 PM
    Any answer to these questions? My Key2 battery life is good (can get me through a day) but nothing like Keyone. Actually I feel like my Mate 9 with EMUI battery optimization does better. Again it's not bad but not what I expected from the newest Berry. Any solutions? I'll keep looking.
    Do you have the full Facebook app installed? It tends to be a resource hog.

Other than that, what drains the most according to the battery stats ?
    11-19-18 02:24 AM
    Do you have the full Facebook app installed? It tends to be a resource hog.

Other than that, what drains the most according to the battery stats ?
    Ya I do have the full fb app but that doesn't seem to be the problem according to the battery app. Since last charge the thing that takes he most battery is Google Play Services and BlackBerry Hub (not this time but mostly in times past). play Services is not optimized. What were to happen if I did that?
    11-19-18 10:32 AM
    Ya I do have the full fb app but that doesn't seem to be the problem according to the battery app. Since last charge the thing that takes he most battery is Google Play Services and BlackBerry Hub (not this time but mostly in times past). play Services is not optimized. What were to happen if I did that?
    Try clearing the cache for Google Play Services and BB HUB+ services as well as Hub (if you use it).
    Make sure the "receive messages quicker" option is disabled for better battery.
    Byrese likes this.
    11-19-18 11:13 AM
    Try clearing the cache for Google Play Services and BB HUB+ services as well as Hub (if you use it).
    Make sure the "receive messages quicker" option is disabled for better battery.
    Thanks. Makes sense, especially the last suggestion about Hub + services. I'll let you know.
    11-19-18 11:22 AM
    Nothing's changed on my end here. "RCS Phone" is the number one resource hog. When "RCS Phone" isn't listed, it's "Android Kernel". I know other users of other makes have this issue. Again don't get me wrong. Battery life is not horrible. But is definitely short of the KeyOne (K1 SOT of 7-8 hours compared to the K2 SOT of about 6 hours).
    Byrese likes this.
    11-19-18 12:20 PM
    I cleared the cache BB+Services, Hub, and Google Play store. That might have done the trick.I charged my phone to 100 today (I rarely do that) and went along my way. Now after a day of use its just down to 71 percent. This is what the battery life should look like.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-20-18 10:19 PM
    Also my battery life has reduced a lot after the ABI067 update.

Before, my phone had an autonomy of more than two days, while now I do not understand why it has been reduced by 30%
    Last edited by JulesDB; 11-21-18 at 06:56 AM.
    11-21-18 05:50 AM
    Also my batter life has reduced a lot after the ABI067 update.

Before, my phone had an autonomy of more than two days, while now I do not understand why it has been reduced by 30%
    Have you tried clearing the cache for the BB Hub+ Services as well as Google Play Services apps?

Then try a 30 second reset and see if any of that helps with battery life a bit.

Make sure to check the battery stats at the end of the day and hit the 3 dots at the top right and hit "show full device usage" and see what's eating up juice
    11-21-18 06:56 AM
    What I don't understand is why is the K1 better on battery life?
    11-21-18 08:53 AM
    What I don't understand is why is the K1 better on battery life?
    Both the 660 (K2) and 625 (K1) are midrange processors as you know and are both battery efficient. But keep in mind, despite the efficiency of the 660, it's far more powerful/faster chipset than the 625 could ever hope to be. I'm fine with that. It just seems to me there's something about A8.1 (or the current release) that isn't quite optimized (as other phones/manufacturers are experiencing).
    11-21-18 11:35 AM
    I cleared the cache BB+Services, Hub, and Google Play store. That might have done the trick.I charged my phone to 100 today (I rarely do that) and went along my way. Now after a day of use its just down to 71 percent. This is what the battery life should look like.
    Does this resolve the situation permanently, or only temporarily?
    11-21-18 11:44 AM
45 12