We'll eventually know it if the device is given birth at some point.

It will be interesting to know, but it doesn't matter at the end.
    You said there’s a few investors funding the project.....so that’s just speculation?
    09-11-20 01:53 PM
    It very well could matter to many here.... it's just possible that it won't matter in the end.
    Sorry, I know it matters for many here
    09-11-20 02:14 PM
    You said there’s a few investors funding the project.....so that’s just speculation?
    I have no idea honestly.

I simply assume that BlackBerry will not support a project under their label if they aren't sure of enough investment commitments in place.

BlackBerry is already assuming a big risk working with a startup. I suppose they need to derisk de whole thing.
    09-11-20 02:25 PM
    I have no idea honestly.

I simply assume that BlackBerry will not support a project under their label if they aren't sure of enough investment commitments in place.

BlackBerry is already assuming a big risk working with a startup. I suppose they need to derisk de whole thing.
    BlackBerry doesn’t care beyond somebody writing a check to cover it’s desired amount. Think about it, Onward Mobility is taking risk. So the worrisome aspect is that no follow up or additional information suggests this could be nothing but sending up a weather balloon to gauge interest without any money raised yet.
    09-11-20 02:39 PM
    BlackBerry doesn’t care beyond somebody writing a check to cover it’s desired amount. Think about it, Onward Mobility is taking risk. So the worrisome aspect is that no follow up or additional information suggests this could be nothing but sending up a weather balloon to gauge interest without any money raised yet.
    I have to say you describe something it could be happening.

I hope it is the other way around though.
    09-11-20 02:46 PM
    I have no idea honestly.

Only risk BlackBerry is taking is the erosion of the Brand further.....

My guess is BlackBerry does nothing, till they get paid. I doubt this is a partnership, it's simple a licensing deal where party #1 provides IP and Services for a fee to party #2. Once party #2's check has cleared, party #1 will start working on whatever they have agreed to supply.

Chen's not stupid enough to get caught in another situation like with Optiemus.... or is he.
    eshropshire likes this.
    09-11-20 02:53 PM
    I have to say you describe something it could be happening.

I hope it is the other way around though.
    Device announced 8/19 and podcast on 8/20 to generate interest using the largest BlackBerry fan site. The press release was picked up on and had actual legs, wobbly, but legs nonetheless......

Almost one month and crickets still? Even the diehard unrealistic fans talk about doing it better than BlackBerry ever did in past. Here we are so I beginning to feel @conite is on to something when he says this device isn’t seriously targeting us. No company ever turns down free publicity. Even if bad publicity, it’s better than no publicity and the publicity could have been extended very easily with the charisma and the enthusiasm I heard on that podcast....
    jacobacevedog likes this.
    09-11-20 02:57 PM
    Device announced 8/19 and podcast on 8/20 to generate interest using the largest BlackBerry fan site. The press release was picked up on and had actual legs, wobbly, but legs nonetheless......

Almost one month and crickets still? Even the diehard unrealistic fans talk about doing it better than BlackBerry ever did in past. Here we are so I beginning to feel @conite is on to something when he says this device isn’t seriously targeting us. No company ever turns down free publicity. Even if bad publicity, it’s better than no publicity and the publicity could have been extended very easily with the charisma and the enthusiasm I heard on that podcast....
    Totally. Almost one month with no substantial news...it is not a good sign.
    Last edited by jacobacevedog; 09-12-20 at 07:07 AM.
    09-12-20 05:33 AM
    Who would believe a brand new startup even if they said that?
    I don't believe a lot of what I hear from The OM CEO. People need to remember OM is a private startup. The CEO can say anything publicly his wants. The only peoe he has to be honest with are the investors. I am not saying he is lying, but I would say he is overly optimistic.
    09-13-20 10:32 PM
    I don't believe a lot of what I hear from The OM CEO. People need to remember OM is a private startup. The CEO can say anything publicly his wants. The only peoe he has to be honest with are the investors. I am not saying he is lying, but I would say he is overly optimistic.
    Companies lie to investors all the time....

TCL's BBMo people made a lot of big claims in their early days. But then the real work got started and and reality set in.

There are lot's of companies that make high end security products that only Enterprise and Government really can afford. But sure they'll sell them to any consumers that want them as well - they'll even offer them for home use. And there is no doubt that most everyone here would benefit from owning a WatchGuard Firebox with Total Security Suite...
    09-14-20 08:53 AM
    This is simply not true, although I wish it were.

The fact is, there are many ways a device can be compromised - even from legitimate sources and sound behaviour. And 90% of the time, you wouldn't even know it was happening.

I give it 3 months or so after the last patch - or even earlier if something major hits. We're at that point now with the KEY².
    Absolutely. There are just too many exploits popping up routinely.

I'm even more cautious than 3 months. For the KEY2, the first serious exploit will remain unpatched forever.

A device is only as secure as the last patch. For the KEY2, that is a long time ago for Android.
    09-14-20 06:51 PM
    Totally. Almost one month with no substantial news...it is not a good sign.
    Realistically, what can we expect from a small startup? Aside from a decent PKB and some overhyped security "enhancements" what can they really offer that Apple or Samsung or Google don't already offer?

When I switched from my KEY2 to a Note 10+, reality finally sank in. The Note is just better in every way, including security. And now since Samsung has announced 3 OS updates I know my Note 10+ will be supported until at least Android 12.

I felt so let down by the KEY2. I bought it with Android 8.1 and it was left there. I wish BlackBerry all the best, but I have little doubt that the new BlackBerry 2021 will probably be a bigger failure than the TCL devices.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do.
    09-14-20 07:02 PM
    Realistically, what can we expect from a small startup? Aside from a decent PKB and some overhyped security "enhancements" what can they really offer that Apple or Samsung or Google don't already offer?

When I switched from my KEY2 to a Note 10+, reality finally sank in. The Note is just better in every way, including security. And now since Samsung has announced 3 OS updates I know my Note 10+ will be supported until at least Android 12.

I felt so let down by the KEY2. I bought it with Android 8.1 and it was left there. I wish BlackBerry all the best, but I have little doubt that the new BlackBerry 2021 will probably be a bigger failure than the TCL devices.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do.
    It's just hard for a small vendor to compete against bigger players that have volume on their side.

I really think Onward will have to do "something" very different... or they will follow BlackBerry and TCL. I know many here think different is follow the OnePlus model... but Onward doesn't have Oppo backing them.
    09-15-20 11:49 AM
    It's just hard for a small vendor to compete against bigger players that have volume on their side.

I really think Onward will have to do "something" very different... or they will follow BlackBerry and TCL. I know many here think different is follow the OnePlus model... but Onward doesn't have Oppo backing them.
    Look at Essential. Well-reviewed hardware, big backing, great updates, but just another ordinary offering.

Onward's only hope is to offer something completely unique for enterprise - likely leaving most consumers behind.

If they are just trying to be another TCL, with no backing, and no security credentials or certifications, then they're done.
    09-15-20 12:48 PM
    Look at Essential. Well-reviewed hardware, big backing, great updates, but just another ordinary offering.

Onward's only hope is to offer something completely unique for enterprise - likely leaving most consumers behind.

If they are just trying to be another TCL, with no backing, and no security credentials or certifications, then they're done.
    They need to do something revolutionary with a PKB, maybe along these lines. Who said sliders were dead?

09-15-20 05:27 PM
    They need to do something revolutionary with a PKB, maybe along these lines:

The hook still can't be a form-factor variation - it must be an application variation.
    09-15-20 05:28 PM
    The hook still can't be a form-factor variation - it must be an application variation.
    You're likely right... However, we know it will have a PKB, so I'm hoping it won't be just "another" PKB.... a re-imagined PKB, because we know the regular one's just didn't catch on....

The KEY2 PKB was darn near perfect....
    09-15-20 05:33 PM
    You're likely right... However, we know it will have a PKB, so I'm hoping it won't be just "another" PKB.... a re-imagined PKB, because we know the regular one's just didn't catch on....

The KEY2 PKB was darn near perfect....
    Some kind of software features
    that would cause people to overlook the PKB and switch from VKB hardware just for the software.
    09-15-20 06:04 PM
43 12