I understand it's pretty much chrystal-ball gazing, but how long do you think the banking apps (BoA, Capital One or Chase) will keep working on K2 given the lack of security updates and outdated Android 8.1? I'm trying to guess whether I'll be able to use my K2 until the BlackBerry 5G arrives some time in 2021.
    09-09-20 11:18 PM
    I think the real question is, how long do you feel secure using your own financial apps on an unsupported device? For me it’s last update plus 1 day, then it’s a door stop.
    09-09-20 11:52 PM
    Main risks come from human behavior when using a phone.

So, basic security skills and an updated banking app running should be enough for a very long time, maybe a couple of years.
    jtrx7 and bh7171 like this.
    09-10-20 06:13 AM
    Main risks come from human behavior when using a phone.

So, basic security skills and an updated banking app running should be enough for a very long time, maybe a couple of years.
    This is simply not true, although I wish it were.

The fact is, there are many ways a device can be compromised - even from legitimate sources and sound behaviour. And 90% of the time, you wouldn't even know it was happening.

I give it 3 months or so after the last patch - or even earlier if something major hits. We're at that point now with the KEY².
    Last edited by conite; 09-10-20 at 11:27 AM.
    09-10-20 09:17 AM
    I think you are right @conite

The problem with hidden risks is we cannot seize them at all.

So, no way, after 3 years all super minicomputers for communication (also known as cellphones) will be rubbish.

I know it is not related to this thread, but the environmental impact of this Android planned obsolescence policy is so bad.
    09-10-20 11:21 AM
    I know it is not related to this thread, but the environmental impact of this Android planned obsolescence policy is so bad.
    It's getting better all of the time though.

The major player - Samsung - is now 4 years on S and high-A series. Android One and Pixel are 3, as well as some others (like OnePlus).

In the fast-paced world of technology, that's about as much as you really need.
    09-10-20 11:24 AM
    It's getting better all of the time though.

The major player - Samsung - is now 4 years on S and high-A series. Android One and Pixel are 3, as well as some others (like OnePlus).

In the fast-paced world of technology, that's about as much as you really need.
    It is getting better, but poorly if we think how easy could be extend it over the time.

One simple example: Windows 10.
    We can install it on a 10 years old computer with enough RAM and SSD and it will decently and securely work.

Why not Android?
    09-10-20 11:37 AM
    It is getting better, but poorly if we think how easy could be extend it over the time.

One simple example: Windows 10.
    We can install it on a 10 years old computer with enough RAM and SSD and it will decently and securely work.

Why not Android?
    Android is free. Windows 10 is not. Nor is iOS - and people pay big bucks for it, hence the 5 years of support.
    09-10-20 11:39 AM
    Android is free. Windows 10 is not. Nor is iOS - and people pay big bucks for it, hence the 5 years of support.
    But security updates aren't.
    09-10-20 11:43 AM
    But security updates aren't.
    Android provides AOSP patches for free too.

The point is, you initially PAY for Windows and iOS.
    09-10-20 11:44 AM

So the old adage of you get what you pay for...
    09-10-20 12:00 PM

Of course we pay for security updates.
    It does not matter if it is free for the company.

You pay for 2 to 4 years of security updates, and this is obviously included in the device price. Non extendable support unfortunately.
    09-10-20 12:01 PM

You pay for 2 to 4 years of security updates, and this is obviously included in the device price. Non extendable support unfortunately.
    Of course the Android OEMs build in some funds for their relatively minor contributions to the monthly patches, but you pay upfront for all of that on iOS - which costs a lot more to do, as it is not subsidised by Google's advertising colossus.

Look at the Nokia 5.3. They are providing a $200 device with 3 years of updates. That can't be done if they didn't get that all free from Google. Even the $130 (at launch) Nokia 2.3 shipped with Android One!
    09-10-20 12:06 PM
    I think the real question is, how long do you feel secure using your own financial apps on an unsupported device? For me it’s last update plus 1 day, then it’s a door stop.
    This pretty much.....
    09-10-20 12:40 PM

Of course the Android OEMs build in some funds for their relatively minor contributions to the monthly patches, but you pay upfront for all of that on iOS - which costs a lot more to do, as it is not subsidised by Google's advertising colossus.

Look at the Nokia 5.3. They are providing a $200 device with 3 years of updates. That can't be done if they didn't get that all free from Google. Even the $130 (at launch) Nokia 2.3 shipped with Android One!
    Exactly as I expect on iOS devices but years of Android flagship, mid-tier and burner level hardware, I expect nothing and surprised by whatever I get. That’s changing but not consistently yet..
    09-10-20 01:04 PM
    Exactly as I expect on iOS devices but years of Android flagship, mid-tier and burner level hardware, I expect nothing and surprised by whatever I get. That’s changing but not consistently yet..
    Let's hope for the best with OnwardMobility's BlackBerry in 2021...

updates for 5 years? Mmmm
    09-10-20 04:49 PM
    Let's hope for the best with OnwardMobility's BlackBerry in 2021...

updates for 5 years? Mmmm
    Who would believe a brand new startup even if they said that?
    Flatman likes this.
    09-10-20 04:51 PM
    Who would believe a brand new startup even if they said that?
    A few investors already funding the project.
    09-11-20 12:59 AM
    But do they believe there will be updates, or they believe the brand still has enough value to allow them to make a profit.

This is a startup right now, not a crowd funded project.... the "investors" might not even be interested in the phones.
    09-11-20 09:17 AM
    But do they believe there will be updates, or they believe the brand still has enough value to allow them to make a profit.

This is a startup right now, not a crowd funded project.... the "investors" might not even be interested in the phones.
    Maybe a little bit of both but of course profit first...
    09-11-20 11:09 AM
    Really? Who? That’s my business and the closest I can identify was Sonim with the recent share offering add-on plus OM executives list.
    09-11-20 11:58 AM
    Really? Who? That’s my business and the closest I can identify was Sonim with the recent share offering add-on plus OM executives list.
    There was also a 30% off sale at Business Depot.
    09-11-20 12:22 PM
    There was also a 30% off sale at Business Depot.
    Exactly......
    09-11-20 01:28 PM
    We'll eventually know it if the device is given birth at some point.

It will be interesting to know, but it doesn't matter at the end.
    09-11-20 01:40 PM
    We'll eventually know it if the device is given birth at some point.

It will be interesting to know, but it doesn't matter at the end.
    It very well could matter to many here.... it's just possible that it won't matter in the end.
    09-11-20 01:42 PM
43 12