I am in New York, I am on T mobile with an HTC 10 and reception is not always great.

Wondering if the Key2 will do better. Seems to be a lot of talk of this new band 71, which the BB does not have.
    06-21-18 04:30 PM
    The best thing you can do is get the phone and try it out aggressively before the return period expires. Asking other here fails on so many levels because your locations and usage pattern are unique to you.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-21-18 05:40 PM
    This really depends building by building.
    I used to have Sony Z3 compact, no issues at TMo in NYC and when the company moved to a different building, I started having issues with the signal. You can use the LTE discovery app to observe which bands you actually use. Now I'm on ATT and the best reception inside building is on band 12. Basic rule is lower the frequency is, better is the building penetration. But the best is to try it yourself. I am buying K2 no matter what, I can let you know after a couple of days.
    06-21-18 07:47 PM
    I've been reading that the unlock variant of the Key 2 for T mobile will not have the band 71 which is their 600mhz. Is that a big deal? Will I notice anything? I currently have a S8. Just want to make sure this phone is say.. future proof.

Thanks for your insight!
    06-21-18 11:23 PM
    T-Mobile has been aggressively rolling out 600mhz in rural areas. So if you live in a rural area, you would probably want this feature.

In or near major metropolitan areas, I don't think they have plans to roll out 600mhz soon.

Spectrum Gateway is a fantastic resource for all things T-Mobile http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum
    06-22-18 12:41 AM
    Deleting duplicate post.
    Last edited by mvsalvino; 06-23-18 at 12:55 AM.
    06-22-18 01:16 AM
    this is a major issue for me...I'm going to wait and see if tmo releases a band 71 version.
    06-22-18 06:29 AM
    this is a major issue for me...I'm going to wait and see if tmo releases a band 71 version.
    You'll be waiting fornever.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-18 08:13 AM
    You'll be waiting fornever.

Posted via CB10
    I fear you are correct. My plan is to hold out until September, and if we don't get the mythical BBF100-5, I'll probably sell the K1 and upgrade anyways.
    06-22-18 08:16 AM
    Thanks for everyone's response to this thread. Helps a lot! I don't live in a rural area so I think I should be okay!
    06-23-18 02:28 PM
    There won't be a band-71 version.

You have to consider your time horizon. If your expected "primary device" lifetime is one year you probably won't mind the lack of band 71 much. If it's two years, you MIGHT mind. If it's more than that you are very, very likely to find this debilitating.

T-Mobile's Band 12 rollout went like that. Little impact at first, then they suddenly rolled out half the state of Michigan more-or-less "all at once" for Band 12 -- pretty much everything north of Lansing. When they did their former roaming agreements with Centennial-***-AT&T were shut off essentially overnight.

So if you had a phone with no Band 12 coverage you went from "works everywhere in the lower peninsula" to "HALF THE STATE gets a big fat red X with no signal".
    06-23-18 03:19 PM
    There won't be a band-71 version.

You have to consider your time horizon. If your expected "primary device" lifetime is one year you probably won't mind the lack of band 71 much. If it's two years, you MIGHT mind. If it's more than that you are very, very likely to find this debilitating.

T-Mobile's Band 12 rollout went like that. Little impact at first, then they suddenly rolled out half the state of Michigan more-or-less "all at once" for Band 12 -- pretty much everything north of Lansing. When they did their former roaming agreements with Centennial-***-AT&T were shut off essentially overnight.

So if you had a phone with no Band 12 coverage you went from "works everywhere in the lower peninsula" to "HALF THE STATE gets a big fat red X with no signal".
    Oh gosh.. Thanks for sharing your experience. With my current S8 now, it does not have the band 71 from what I saw so I have not noticed anything so far.. I would hope my Key2 when I purchase it will be "future proof" enough for maybe the 4th version of this phone?
    06-23-18 08:05 PM
    Oh gosh.. Thanks for sharing your experience. With my current S8 now, it does not have the band 71 from what I saw so I have not noticed anything so far.. I would hope my Key2 when I purchase it will be "future proof" enough for maybe the 4th version of this phone?
    You mean the Key4 ?
    06-23-18 08:42 PM
    You mean the Key4 ?
    Yes.
    06-23-18 11:20 PM
    Yes.
    No phone is future proof. No Android/IOS device has everything to guarantee 3 or more years of usage. That’s because the system is designed on you replacing your phone with a new phone every 24 months. Perfected by Steve Jobs with the help of AT&T.
    06-24-18 08:09 AM
    No phone is future proof. No Android/IOS device has everything to guarantee 3 or more years of usage. That’s because the system is designed on you replacing your phone with a new phone every 24 months. Perfected by Steve Jobs with the help of AT&T.
    I get that. I guess in relevance to this thread, I hope it works well enough without the band 71 so I don't have the experience tickerguy mentions. I do hope this phone plays out well for at least a year and half. I appreciate your insight!
    06-24-18 10:14 AM
    There WILL be another round of screwing when GSM/gprs/edge goes down which IS coming by end of 2019.

How bad? Nobody knows right now.
    06-24-18 02:20 PM