I find that in recording apps such as the brilliant Field Recorder, the on board Key2 mics do sound good for what they are, and record in true stereo. However, I can't find a way to get the same stereo audio in my video recordings. Thoughts or advice?

My HTC One M8 is still my go to video phone in no small part due to its superior mics and brilliant audio results in video recording under the most demanding conditions.

I can't understand why this BB won't record stereo audio during video recording by default. The ancient PlayBook did this out of the box and to this day still bests even the trusty HTC M8.
    12-06-18 09:37 AM
    It's stereo for me.
    12-06-18 01:06 PM
    I remember Sony used to have good app for that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...recorder&hl=cs
    12-06-18 03:29 PM
    It’s mono for me. With headphones It's just dual mono. I am a recording engineer and I know this. How is video recording audio true stereo for you? What am I missing?
    12-07-18 01:31 PM
    To clarify, in Field Recorder 8.4, when I speak in to the top mic the sound is clearly defined in the right side headphone channel... and as expected when speaking in to the bottom mic the sound is equally defined in the left headphone channel.

But when recording video and doing the same test, it's all mono centre in the same phones, and I have many,

Can you help me figure out why this may be?

Thanks
    12-07-18 01:43 PM
    Speaking in to the top mic in Field Recorder 8.4 clearly shows a right channel signal on playback. True stereo. In video record mode both mics sum to dual mono
    Attached Thumbnails Audio when recording video.. any way to improve it?-6361.jpg  
    the brother likes this.
    12-07-18 01:55 PM
    My current true stereo capture devices. I know stereo when I hear it, and I don't hear it in my video recordings on this Key2. I hear dual channel mono mush. There must be something that I am missing.
    Attached Thumbnails Audio when recording video.. any way to improve it?-6362.jpg  
    the brother likes this.
    12-07-18 02:45 PM
    In the above photo, the Sony PCM-M10 was - and still is - the Gold Standard for 96K audiophile recordng. Sony made many variants on the device over the last decade but this is far and away the best, still in production over ten years. This said, Field Recorder 8.4 - with the right hardware i.e. HTC One M8, Pixelbook and yes even the Key2 - come very close to producing similar audiophile results. No, I have no association with the developer apart from effluvious praise for the effort and detail that the has been put in to the app, and if you want the very best audio recorder to transform your Key2 into a stellar field recorder with a kajillion options (I counted them) then you want Field Recorder 8.4
    Last edited by Yvgeni; 12-08-18 at 02:04 PM.
    the brother likes this.
    12-07-18 03:20 PM
    Oh and lest we forget... still the best AV true stereo Recorder in the arsenal. Brilliant kit. Wonderful microphones and with the form factor of the PlayBook the mics are beautifully elegantly physically spaced in something close to binaural i.e. headspace.... A masterpiece. This thing still awes me to no end with its stereo audio capture ability in any mode. One doesn't require Field Recorder on this device although I would love to have this app on board. If only I knew how to "sideload" Android apps on to this fabulous underestimated and sadly overlooked by time device ... seems the methodology (the name of which now escapes me) has vanished
    Attached Thumbnails Audio when recording video.. any way to improve it?-6365.jpg  
    Last edited by Yvgeni; 12-08-18 at 07:37 AM.
    the brother likes this.
    12-07-18 03:33 PM
    The crickets (and frogs) indicate that all are happy enough with previous century monophonic AV audio. Apologies out to Aristophanes... Brekekekex koax koax
    Last edited by Yvgeni; 12-08-18 at 04:16 PM.
    12-08-18 01:59 PM
    Nobody on the forums can address this issue? The deafness speaks volumes I suppose.
    12-08-18 07:32 PM
    Post deleted
    Last edited by Yvgeni; 12-08-18 at 09:08 PM.
    12-08-18 07:35 PM
    It's stereo for me.
    Are you still sure about that after all the proof given by the radio engineer that it isn't?

Anyway, @Yvgeni, is this Key2 specific or does the same issue arise with the Key1?
    Otherwise, maybe a thread here would perhaps be more fruitful: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ndroid-os-f456
    the brother likes this.
    12-09-18 05:45 AM
    Yeah it's monophonic. Proof otherwise? Nope there is none but thank you for your reply. As a sidenote, the HTC One M8 referenced above is Android and it's a fabulous full stereo AV recorder, so this is not an Android issue. It's a Key2 specific software issue which clearly you're unable to sense cheers mate
    12-09-18 09:32 PM
    I am surprised you're using KEY² for video recording in the first place. I would be shocked if they had the real stereo recording and poor camera performance.

I don't think they have gone that far adding the functionality. I hope they can add it for you but I won't bet on it. They have bigger issues to resolve from the camera's perspective.

Edit: I just tested this on my Note 8. Simple test to tap on one side and then go to the other or start speaking from one side of the phone and then move to the other. If you then use your headset, you can sense how the sound travels from one year to other. This doesn't happen on KEY²
    12-10-18 01:24 AM
    No, because it's monophonic and as indicated above ad nauseum, soooo last century and it's a simple software fix. My ancient HTC handles the same task effortlessly.

You're surprised that I'd want stereo AV recording in a 900 dollar plus (Canadian) device? My expectations must be questioned. Please allow me to re-evaluate reality,

Tick tock

Done

Yes I expect this
    12-10-18 01:43 AM
    No, because it's monophonic and as indicated above ad nauseum, soooo last century and it's a simple software fix. My ancient HTC handles the same task effortlessly.

You're surprised that I'd want stereo AV recording in a 900 dollar plus (Canadian) device? My expectations must be questioned. Please allow me to re-evaluate reality,

Tick tock

Done

Yes I expect this
    Haha. I like your wishful thinking.
    I'll be surprised they fix the audio before they fix the camera for a device that expensive.

Yes it's a simple fix but I think their second mic isn't that great. They may not want to open the flood gates. There are other threads where the second mic doesn't respond at all in some apps. Check speaker calls, the bottom firing one is pretty weak.
    12-10-18 02:42 AM
    Thank you Mr Bond for your reply.

In Field Recorder, both mics work admirably and sound almost matched (you're right that the lower one is somewhat off, but in my estimation not by a disagreeable amount... I will perform an audio spectrum test) and do produce nice stereo recordings, so I humbly disagree that both mics are not up to the simple task of producing similar results in the camera application
    12-10-18 02:52 AM
    I can report that the video now records in stereo with latest update. They seems to have fixed it.

I'm on ABM51
    12-12-18 05:25 PM
    I can report that the video now records in stereo with latest update. They seems to have fixed it.

I'm on ABM51
    Impposibru, 'cause according to @conite, the camera hasn't been updated.
    12-12-18 05:33 PM
    Here's a quick recording. Let me know if you want me to step out and record in the real world.

Also not sure if Google Photos compresses the audio or not (use your headphones)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/4GxDDgJX5NFtMTkN7
    12-12-18 05:46 PM
    The app is the same, but low level OS changes could explain it. Improvements to the driver or the camera API perhaps.
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-12-18 05:51 PM
    The app is the same, but low level OS changes could explain it. Improvements to the driver or the camera API perhaps.
    Agreed. This is what I think they have done
    12-12-18 06:02 PM
    I like you keyboard tower...:-). There's a way to sideload apps onto the Playbook, with Chrome and some separate tool. AFAIK they must be certain Android version in order to work (4.x??).

Have a look in the respective forum here.
    12-13-18 12:26 AM
    Yeah it's monophonic. Proof otherwise? Nope there is none but thank you for your reply. As a sidenote, the HTC One M8 referenced above is Android and it's a fabulous full stereo AV recorder, so this is not an Android issue. It's a Key2 specific software issue which clearly you're unable to sense cheers mate
    Does it seem resolved to you with my video proof above?
    Keen to hear if that was problem you faced.
    12-14-18 03:37 AM
36 12